BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver Nissan 370z

Help Me PLEASE! 2013 M3

Soooooooo

I have gone off to college and on my drive there I was talking with my mom who had a 535 previously and brought up the idea of an E92 M3 before it goes out of production. The final HOORAH! from naturally aspirated engines as well as the legendary status the E92 model carries as the E46 did. I personally cannot afford one but I would love for my parents to experience the greatness that is BMW M. Then in a few years, I may earn enough money to buy it off of them and have this timeless masterpiece to myself They have not driven an M before and my mom likes a luxurious MB ride, however she is aware that rides are a little stiffer in BMWs and more so in the Ms. I have gotten quotes and have one dealer in mind which has given an outstanding price, which my parents approve of, so that issue is settled. I am on the verge of convincing her to get one in late April-May so that she can get it before production ends, so besides the work I have done, can you guys give me some good points on why she should get an M? Please help me, as I am a desperate kid in a candy shop begging his parents to buy candy for him.

Cons - V8 (compared to the TTI6 in the 5er she had), so gas consumption is greater obviously
- stiffer suspension

Pros - V8
- It's an M
- Styling wise, it is gorgeous
- Prestige-wise, the M is the highest you can get in any given model (obviously)
- Fun factor: Moving from an 06 E350 to a 08 535, my dad IMMEDIATELY noticed the difference. He was all smiles the first time he got on an on ramp and let the N54 stretch it's legs
- Engineering pinnacle in terms of car and driving satisfaction

Car specs:

Mineral White
Fox Red interior
Carbon Trim
ZCP (So adjustable dampers will make the ride a bit more comfortable)
ZCW
Navigation
BMW Apps

I really hope you guys can help me as fellow BMW lovers. I am close, but I need that extra push. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Unhappy

It's May of 1972...

I wasn't even 1 yet but, something far more important happened that month. This was the month that the BMW E9 3.0 CSL was introduced as a 'Homologation Special' and the ///M-division was born. For all of us ///M lovers out there, this car was 'Genesis'. This is where the ///M branding and tradition started. The CSL was a dominant force in racing for most of the 70's. And the ///M-branded cars have carried this on up to the present day.

Since that time, BMW ///M has always produced naturally-aspirated engines married to the frames of their sister models: M3/3-series, M5/5-series... you get the idea. With the coming F80/82 this will change. BMW is moving with the times and will be adding turbochargers to their engines; we all know this. If your parents need anymore convincing, let me quote Jeremy Clarkson (from the episode of Top Gear where he drove a V-12 Vantage), "I just have this horrible, dreadful feeling, that what I am driving here ...is an ending." Granted, the cars are different, but my sentiment on it is the same.

This is it for the heritage that BMW has upheld for 40 years. The E9X M3, is an ending.

Last edited by NoM3ForMe; 08-10-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
IL8Apex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 1999 E36 M3

If your mom is like my mom or the millions of other moms with college kids out there, she will hate the M3. (I was in college over a decade ago)

Its suspension is stiff compared to any other luxo-barge on the market. The "luxury" items that matter to moms such as leather seats, classy interior are quite spartan in the M. Think MB S class interior as what she would be expecting.

99% of her Yenta friends will see the M3 as just another 3 series. They'll ask her how much it cost, and laugh behind her back for paying $70K for what's to them a 325i.

She'll never reach half-way to the 8300rpm redline, ever.

Then I could be completely wrong if she grew up in a racing family, does autocross on weekends, and is an instructor at BMW CCA HPDEs.

Last edited by IL8Apex; 08-10-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Unless your mom is Danica Patrick, she's going to hate the M3. It's loud, it's stiff, it's jerky, it's a dick magnet, it's expensive.

It'll be like her window shopping on some high street in your local town with a 26 year old gigolo on her arms....yes, I went there. (i.e. she'll look out of place)

Note there are some female M3 drivers here on the forum, but likely they're all in their 30s....

Last edited by mdosu; 08-10-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep

So....I know I won't be showing her this thread LOL...

She will definitely test drive (or try to, depending on how inclined the dealer is to let her) an M3 before she gets it so that'll if she hates it, she will know right there. She also really cares about steering, and acceleration (on ramps, off ramps) so hopefully that will be a deal maker. She has also been thinking of exclusivity between her friends circle, and there are 335s and 535s and 750s and what not, but nobody has an M3 and so that is something else she is looking for but I guess we will see. If anyone can chirp in with some POSITIVES, that'd be great, but I really appreciate all the feedback, both good and bad. Thanks for taking the time to read the post and respond guys.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubajay
Soooooooo

I have gone off to college and on my drive there I was talking with my mom who had a 535 previously and brought up the idea of an E92 M3 before it goes out of production. The final HOORAH! from naturally aspirated engines as well as the legendary status the E92 model carries as the E46 did. I personally cannot afford one but I would love for my parents to experience the greatness that is BMW M. Then in a few years, I may earn enough money to buy it off of them and have this timeless masterpiece to myself They have not driven an M before and my mom likes a luxurious MB ride, however she is aware that rides are a little stiffer in BMWs and more so in the Ms. I have gotten quotes and have one dealer in mind which has given an outstanding price, which my parents approve of, so that issue is settled. I am on the verge of convincing her to get one in late April-May so that she can get it before production ends, so besides the work I have done, can you guys give me some good points on why she should get an M? Please help me, as I am a desperate kid in a candy shop begging his parents to buy candy for him.

Cons - V8 (compared to the TTI6 in the 5er she had), so gas consumption is greater obviously
- stiffer suspension

Pros - V8
- It's an M
- Styling wise, it is gorgeous
- Prestige-wise, the M is the highest you can get in any given model (obviously)
- Fun factor: Moving from an 06 E350 to a 08 535, my dad IMMEDIATELY noticed the difference. He was all smiles the first time he got on an on ramp and let the N54 stretch it's legs
- Engineering pinnacle in terms of car and driving satisfaction

Car specs:

Mineral White
Fox Red interior
Carbon Trim
ZCP (So adjustable dampers will make the ride a bit more comfortable)
ZCW
Navigation
BMW Apps

I really hope you guys can help me as fellow BMW lovers. I am close, but I need that extra push. Thanks everyone!
I love your mom ! Please let her know that she should sign up to the forums so I can pm her and set up a date.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Also,

It's just a very fun car! That can be used all year round, not to noisy but noisy enough to really enjoy the driving experience, long rev range is such a pleasure to have especially with dct. Has a back seat which ppl. CAn fit in, trunk space is decent for a performance vehicle of this caliber. It's the benchmark for all other cars in its class and the champion in comparisons yeAr after year. It's the perfect balance between practicality, performance, luxury... A very well balanced machine
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
JZBE92
I poop at work to save money on toilet paper.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SOLD, FR-S Monogram

I think you guys are missing the point. His mom knows what an M3 is.

In other news, my parents bought me my Porsche Cayman S after I graduated college. Then I worked my ass off and bought the car off them. This kind of loan is the best.=) No Interest!
2012 JZB E92 M3 Coupe. DCT/ZCP. Paint Match IND Cosmetic Package, Arkym Bumper, Verstrabe Paddles, LUX Angel Eyes, Vorsteiner double sided CF CSL trunk lid, Evolve Valve Exhaust, 19x9.5 et 21, 19x10.5 et 22 TE37 SL Pressed Graphite
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZBE92 View Post
I think you guys are missing the point. His mom knows what an M3 is.

In other news, my parents bought me my Porsche Cayman S after I graduated college. Then I worked my ass off and bought the car off them. This kind of loan is the best.=) No Interest!
EXACTLY!

She knows it won't be as comfortable as her 535 and that wasn't as comfortable as her E350. She knows what she is getting into, I just wanted some convincing points to keep as ammunition should I need them.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

try this car and driver test,calling it the perfect car-
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term-road-test
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
chotam
Rep
Drives: 335i

Why are you trying to push your mother to buy something she clearly will not enjoy. Rhetorical...I know the reason, you want the car for yourself later down in life. Chances are your mother is going to hate the car is she is coming from MB and 5 series. She will see it as a downgrade trust me.

Below are some more cons, granted she is a female in her 40s or 50s.

-Smaller
-Attention magnet(street racers, cops)
-Stiffer
-Non enthusiast in 40s or 50s will at all times think that 5 > 3

Overall your mother will feel silly driving something like an M3. It will simply put out a vibe that she is going through MLC. Stop being selfish. Go to college, network, intern ... maybe your parents will reward you, if you get my drift.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

There is no chance OP's mom is going to enjoy an E92 M3. It sits (relatively) low, not so easy to get in and out of (especially if you're wearing a skirt/heels), it has a very stiff ride, and she will likely bang it up on parking lot curbs, etc., unless she enjoys taking special attention not to do so.

Don't forget the terrible gas mileage, which means very short runs in between fill ups. No one but a true enthusiast can avoid being annoyed by that.

I understand a lot of mom roll in 535i's, but an M3 "ain't your momma's BMW".
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
I'm asking what everyone wants to ask but too afraid to...

Milf?

I kid, I kid
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotam View Post
Why are you trying to push your mother to buy something she clearly will not enjoy. Rhetorical...I know the reason, you want the car for yourself later down in life. Chances are your mother is going to hate the car is she is coming from MB and 5 series. She will see it as a downgrade trust me.

Below are some more cons, granted she is a female in her 40s or 50s.

-Smaller
-Attention magnet(street racers, cops)
-Stiffer
-Non enthusiast in 40s or 50s will at all times think that 5 > 3

Overall your mother will feel silly driving something like an M3. It will simply put out a vibe that she is going through MLC. Stop being selfish. Go to college, network, intern ... maybe your parents will reward you, if you get my drift.

I think she will like it just because even though she is coming from a 535, she almost walked into a G37 IPL. I convinced her out of it because for the money, there is no point in getting an IPL over a G37S. It does have a stiffer suspension and from what I felt when riding in both that and the E92M, they ride quite similar. I'm not being selfish, try to understand that I am trying to show her a side of cars that she won't allow herself to see. I taught her how to use the Sports Auto transmission in the 5er as well as the stick in my current Si. She enjoys driving those cars, and this is an affordable option which she has never looked into. I know the hard work that goes into earning money to buy cars like these and that is why when my parents offered to buy me MY first new car, I went with a PREOWNED Si. I don't expect them to buy me a new or used car after the one they have already bought me, nor do I want them to. Don't be quick to judge, or parent me, or anyone else unless you know the full story.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Based on what you mentioned, M3 is not the rigt car for your mom, If she needs a car that stands out between her friends' cars, M3 is not the right car. Most people think M3s are just a regular 3 series BMW. Also as mentioned above, M3 is such a dick magnet, not so many girls / females know about it. It will be a waste of an amazing high performance car in your mom's hands.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
my friend's mom loves (and always has) AMG's, and she also loves to drive the piss out of them.... so the mythical "M-Mom" definitely could be out there

OP, keep us updated with the results!

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
chotam
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubajay View Post
I think she will like it just because even though she is coming from a 535, she almost walked into a G37 IPL. I convinced her out of it because for the money, there is no point in getting an IPL over a G37S. It does have a stiffer suspension and from what I felt when riding in both that and the E92M, they ride quite similar. I'm not being selfish, try to understand that I am trying to show her a side of cars that she won't allow herself to see. I taught her how to use the Sports Auto transmission in the 5er as well as the stick in my current Si. She enjoys driving those cars, and this is an affordable option which she has never looked into. I know the hard work that goes into earning money to buy cars like these and that is why when my parents offered to buy me MY first new car, I went with a PREOWNED Si. I don't expect them to buy me a new or used car after the one they have already bought me, nor do I want them to. Don't be quick to judge, or parent me, or anyone else unless you know the full story.

Buddy, listen to the feedback of the community...9/10 members are telling you that your mother is going to hate the car. These are the people who started college probably around the time you were born. These are the people who have owned this car for several years and know what it is about. They know how "comfortable" it is, how it drives, and behaves. The sole action of you looking for points, from the community, of how you can "sell" the car to your mother, tells everyone that she is not, in the slightest, excited about the car. I am not trying to sound harsh here, but it is clear to everyone that you want this car and not her.

It sounds like your parents are hard workers, let them enjoy the car that they chose.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
I am Jeff
Private
Rep
Drives: Gods Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubajay View Post
EXACTLY!

She knows it won't be as comfortable as her 535 and that wasn't as comfortable as her E350. She knows what she is getting into, I just wanted some convincing points to keep as ammunition should I need them.
An M3 being not AS comfortable as her 535 or E350 is a huge understatement. It's like saying the floor is not as comfortable as the sofa. It appears your goal is to get your mom to buy the M3 and your hopes of buying it afterwards. While your words are admirable, your intentions are blatantly obvious.

FYI - When your mother finds out she has to fill up every 200 miles, you're getting a major ass beating.

Good luck in getting your mom into that M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Jeff View Post
An M3 being not AS comfortable as her 535 or E350 is a huge understatement. It's like saying the floor is not as comfortable as the sofa.

LOL, nice.

There is a reason BMW makes M3s, and 535i's. If you enjoy one, you will probably really dislike the other. And there is no point in spending that kind of money when you're (OP's mom) is expecting something else.

A G37 IPL is no M3....

A 535i is no M3...

I personally have pity on any "mom" who drives one. It's not going to be fun for her, and eventually she'll resent it. Either for the harsh ride, easy chance of banging up those nice ZCP wheels or front bumper, or the pathetic gas mileage.

OP, you don't secretly want your mom to hate ya?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Get her to drive one, make sure she takes it past 7k rpms, and the answer should be pretty clear. At that point you're either hooked or you're not, plain and simple.

Otherwise, tell her to get a CLS550.
      08-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Rodgers
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

Rant

Op you should be ashamed of yourself. Unless she wants one what are you thinking? Convincing her?! Many many many I mean MANY people hate cars like this. A harsh high strung coupe? She's in an old 535!! Are you kidding!! Guess you'd prolly trip granny down the stairs for inheritance. Selfish bastard.

This is stupid. Get some damn luxobarge and call it a day. This car is for a very specific enthusiast, go AMG or one of the other fast luxobarges. Honestly make a good recommendation and help her instead of manipulating your way into a car you can't even afford. Yes I called you out. What the hell kind of son are you?

Shit this forum gets under my skin sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
There are women who would love to drive an M3. But we are in a minority.

We wouldn't want to drive the new 5-series because it's too soft, etc.
We'd put our M in the firmest suspension settings.
We don't care about noise because "OMG, this sounds so awesome, I can't stop revving it! Hmm... how much for the performance exhaust?"
etc. etc.

I even like it *because* it can be so easily mistaken for a Plain Jane 3-series such that people will pay less attention to me.

I personally know of one other woman - who could be a grandma! - who drives an E92 M3. She specifically ordered her M in 6MT (nothin' but manuals for her) and waited months for her order because there were no manuals on the lots..... Everything is set on the sportiest settings for her. I even felt a bit nauseous after being in the passenger seat with her.

But take a look at the percentage of women enthusiasts on this board vs. the men. This is how outnumbered we are.

So OP, only you know your mom.

If she's like one of us..... hell yes, convince her to get an M3!

You should have a better idea after a test drive.