BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

11-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #45
mrtrackday
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Someone asked about the lack of roll bar and the E93 has a pop up roll restraint thing that is acceptable (and approved by the events I frequent) for tracking the car. It's suppose to pop up in milliseconds when the system detects a roll. Hopefully I will never have to test it.

In response to the cool people (obviously there are a bunch here) thanks for the support. In response to the hater and posers, till I can see some video of you on the track, I'll stick to asking professional drivers and instructors (as I've been doing) for advice.

Now that I know the culture here I will post more stuff because I know someone will get something out of it.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #46
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrackday View Post
Someone asked about the lack of roll bar and the E93 has a pop up roll restraint thing that is acceptable (and approved by the events I frequent) for tracking the car. It's suppose to pop up in milliseconds when the system detects a roll. Hopefully I will never have to test it.

In response to the cool people (obviously there are a bunch here) thanks for the support. In response to the hater and posers, till I can see some video of you on the track, I'll stick to asking professional drivers and instructors (as I've been doing) for advice.

Now that I know the culture here I will post more stuff because I know someone will get something out of it.

At least you are out on the track & having fun
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #47
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

Quote:

definitely keep posting
thanks for the clarification on the roll bar / pop up restraint, i didnt know the E93 had that... i guess in my car my skull will serve as roll-up restraint
i'm gonna have to check your blog and vids at home tonight...

Thanks MrTrackDay !

Pat
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #48
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

John
Thank you for sharing your experience with the E93. Very informative, and helpful information. An actual history helps a lot. I share your opinion on the BFG R1s. I run them on my track car, and am pleased with the performance. Likely, they will be my tire of choice for the E92 should I decide to track it. Jury is still out if I will, but we will see what the year brings when next season rolls around - new products I hope.

Question, did Turner recommend the spacers front and rear because of the rims you ordered? Seem a lot, but I don't know.

Unless I missed it, what brake package did you decide to go with?

Lastly, don't let any flack here defer you from posting opinions. A lot of us are interested in whats happening with this car on the track. Continue to sing out.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #49
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
I think the issue is that you said you converted your car into a weekend track car. If you had said you improved or optimized your 'vert for the track you would have had less people thinking that someone actually made a 'vert into a track car. It's fine to use one on the track casually, but a dedicated machine it is not for eleventy billion reasons (weight, rigidity, safety, etc.).
Except for the safety comprimises of being a retractable hardtop,how is this any different than using an 4200 lb E60 M5 as a track car?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #50
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Jeez, guys how 'bout cut him a little slack? He says he's made a weekend track car, not a race car. Maybe he likes having a vert. I didn't see anything about him stripping the car to shed weight.

If this works for you hey that's great. As it relates to speed down the straight, that's only limited by the size of your wallet.
+1! I like how some people criticize the OP for taking his e93 to a track... whenever they probably never even brought their e92 or e90 near one!

John, welcome to the forum and don't let these poseurs break your spirits!!!
      11-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #51
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:

Please don't let the haters stop you from posting on here. You wrote two great articles, and I'm looking forward to hearing a review on a stoptech BBK!

Enjoy the car, and have fun on the track. I hope to get on there next season, and I might have to invest in that wheel/tire package.

Also, let me know what you think of the suspension on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #52
Mtres
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW  [0.00]
Hi,

Hope to track my E90 next year.
I'm curious though. What kind of problems are you referring to (first post)?
Brake fatigue only?

I'm using a different approach. I've bought a second set of OEM wheels (19") and will track the car without any mods. Brakes should be a problem, but I'm aiming at having fun and not lap times. Hence the OEM tires. Slicks are faster but less fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #53
spicoli024
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 COMPETITION

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and...I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning here as well.

~ John
Welcome, John. Good to see another native Texan. Check out the regional forums by clicking here. You will meet a lot of good people in there and we organize meets and track days as well, which may interest you. In fact, Nawaaz, one of the members from the Texas chat thread who I noticed posted earlier in this thread too is scheduling a meet in Dallas this weekend. We have also been talking about a HPDE at H2R in San Marcos on December 19th and again sometime in January (click here). If you're interested let us know or PM and we'll get you details. Maybe we'll see you out there.
      11-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #54
335iTrace
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S5 V8

duuuude sweet ride, and props for have'n more balls then 80% of these guys on here for actually tracking your car! I'm fairly new too, but have noticed if you don't have what everyone else does then your different therefore people attack. But the good news is there are some of us who think its awesome going against the grain of what's normal. All i have to complain about is.... MORE PICS AND VIDEOS PLEASE!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #55
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

I don't know if everyone is referring to me being cynical against vert's. That was not my intention. I have a sufficient knowledge of cars, but I know there are people on this forum that surpass my knowledge. I was simply asking why would someone use a vert for the track. My assumption was that verts perform substantially less than coupes for obvious reasons. I was hoping someone would school me, and someone did. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #56
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and while I suppose I could copy and paste the entire blog article here, I prefer to give a link. Since I don't sell advertising on my personal blog or promote anything in particular that will hopefully not be adverse to the forum policies here. In short this is an in depth article about the process (and money I spent) dialing in my 2008 M3 for track days. I'm in the yellow run group so I'm a good driver, but not a great driver. Started with just racing pads, SS brake lines and better brake fluid and had nothing but problems. Looks like my problems might be over finally. Last thing on my list is a front brake kit since the M3 stock brakes are just lame for the track (single piston calipers, rubber lines, no vents for airflow, etc..). In all fairness they are great for street use and will put me though the windshield but they simply cannot hold up on the track under any rigorous conditions.

Here is the story of the tires and wheels
BMW M3 (E92 E93) Racing Slicks and Racing Wheels

And here is an older story about the stock brakes
Why the “stock” BWW M3 E92 or E93 are simply not track worthy

I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning here as well. Been reading this forum for a while now and felt it was time to give back.

~ John
Really, really awesome info. Encouraging to see a happy medium; someone who enjoys their car as a daily driver but still puts it on the track without it being a trailer queen.
Do you have a manual or DCT?
Driving School? (I know it was asked but didnt see the response)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #57
koln507
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 6spd edc

Thanks for posting your experience. I have had similar problems with my brakes on an e90 m3. Driving with stock pads, I warped the front rotors slightly on my first track day. I thought bedding the brakes would alleviate the mild shudder but after the 2nd day they were totally warped.

I read a post on another forum about brake ducts and had them installed by Cantrell Motorports (who are fantastic) in Seattle along with Goodrich SS lines, Motul brake fluid, and Pagid yellow endurance pads. Made a noticeable difference but still had issues with brake fade.

Then, I spun at Pacific Raceways and a large rock took out the oil cooler and the front right brake duct but suspension was fine. So I converted back to stock front ducts. Car is in perfect condition now and lack of brake ducts didn't make a huge difference my last track day. But of course ambient temp was much cooler.

My friend has an e46 with Stop Techs and he has never had an issue with his brakes. I am now convinced that BBK is the only way to alleviate this problem and this will be my winter project. Probably Stop Tech due to costs but that AP racing BBK looks pretty juicy.

I was considering the tire rack light weight wheels (TRMotorsports MT1) which are only18.5 and 19 lbs f/r but now I might go for the D-force. They are similar in look and price. Did you consider these wheels? If so, why did you pick the D-force?

Nice post. Glad to see someone else out there with similar track fever!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #58
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Smile Welcome.

Nice ride and blog. ...I would say something about the half ass brakes but it seems as if EVERYONE is/has gone through the EXACT same thing.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #59
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

I'm trading in my 09 M3 this month for a dedicated track car. The e92 is just not hard-core enough for me. I'll be picking up a 2010 X6M. Does anyone have some suggestions for how to convert this vehicle to dedicated track use?

Just kidding, thanks Mr. Trackday for your interesting post and link.
      11-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #60
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. Take the whole interior out. Leave the wheel, seat, pedals, and shifter in. Then Lower it 5 inches, and cut the roof down 6 inches and replace it with aluminum foil. Let me know how you make out.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #61
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM View Post
I would go back to street radials.
Most driver makes mistake on just putting slicks on stock car thinking added grip will give much faster lap time.(without thinking how much stress you will be putting on the car)

Although slick tires gives addtional grip/traction, you also need alignment/upgraded bushings/chassis to take full potential of the tires.
Without proper setup, it will only help very marginally on lap time but at sametime it DOES increase much stress on chassis/bushings.(can be worse thing on E93 due to weaker chassis)

Not only that, slick tires give too much confidence to drivers...harder to control at the limit, which is not a good thing for most weekend track drivers.

Any M3 can be very good weekend car even at stock configuration.
Only thing I would change for track are...Brake pads and fluid for fade resistance.
Jusy my $0.02

Jae
I have also been told this as well. I heard that the slicks mask too many errors and results in the driver making bad mistakes. I was going to go with slicks for next year but I have decided not to until I get a little better with the radials.

Either way, I commend you on taking your car to track where it belongs.
      11-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #62
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

beside the security issue tracking it top down would slice through the air like a parachute.
but seriously The compromised body rigidity results in a torsion prone connection between the front axles and back axle causing understeer and more unpredictable behaviour at or close to the limit. Together with slick tires that will 'mask' this and all of a sudden let go and the extra pounds you have more chances to go sideways or spin the car. The issue is not just how the vert will perform but it will not be as safe on a track even for a non professional but serious track enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #63
varun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-sport

Looks like you went out with TDE? I have to look out for this black vert when im out there next. I came out to many of their events this year, had my (now sold) silverstoneII M3 sedan out there a few times and TWS toasted the brakes! You going out to the Jan/feb events? Awesome write up and congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #64
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
Wow.. For a 1st time poster who was willing to share lots of hard earned data, I'm not feeling the love here at all. If this forum is stacked with haters who prefer to be judgemental and don't even bother to read the entire post and especially the "this car was not bought for the track" part, I'm pretty underwhelmed with m3post.com so far. I'm sure there are lots of good people here but the haters are on the prowl.

I repeat...

THIS IS NOT A DEDICATED TRACK CAR !

I drive it to work everyday, my wife, dog and I go cruising with the top down when the weather is nice. I track it because aside from a few hundred extra pounds, it kicks ass as a track car, top up or down. Which part of that doesn't make sense?

I'm running close to 2min laps at TWS which is VERY respectable so how about cuttimg me some slack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Dude there are about a billion dicks on this board, not the most mature of boards. I don't know how to describe the mentality but stick around a while and you'll see. Just enjoy your car and forget about most of these posts.

On a positive note, that is an awesome diary. Congrats to you, you are getting more track use with your e93 than 90% of the e90 or e92 users. If you want more power there are some remedies for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Based on some of the posts I read over the past couple months, I should not take my E90 to the track since it has the "super heavy" sunroof. Only E92 with carbon roof, no bells/whistles, cloth seats are suitable for the track.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #65
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:

A lot of folks I track with at TWS snickered at me for taking the E90 to the track. "It's a pig"...."get a real track car....". One particular GT3 owner (instructor/racer) changed his tune after being passed and then seeing the britax baby seat bolted down in the rear seat once back at the paddock.

I agree, it's a pig, and no doubt the E93 is even more of a handfull. But it's pretty well behaved and a good dual use car.

BTW - have you had any overheating issues in the Texas summer? On a couple of occasions last summer in 100+ heat it went into limp mode. PS pump issues? Mine is now making a noise that is most certainly a PS pump ready to give up the ghost.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #66
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
A lot of folks I track with at TWS snickered at me for taking the E90 to the track. "It's a pig"...."get a real track car....". One particular GT3 owner (instructor/racer) changed his tune after being passed and then seeing the britax baby seat bolted down in the rear seat once back at the paddock.

I agree, it's a pig, and no doubt the E93 is even more of a handfull. But it's pretty well behaved and a good dual use car.

BTW - have you had any overheating issues in the Texas summer? On a couple of occasions last summer in 100+ heat it went into limp mode. PS pump issues? Mine is now making a noise that is most certainly a PS pump ready to give up the ghost.
Why are there so many haters at the track? My friend experienced the same thing when he took his e92 to the track. They were given him attitude about his 19's.