BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Well, if they crash into someone else - it does f@cking matter what *they* do.
Says the person who drives "fast and takes chances".
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
most of them are old enough and they know exactly what they are doing.. so god forbid if that ever happens hope no one gets hurt but like i said what the fawk are we suppose to do? we can tell them all day dont do it... but do you really think we can stop them from doing it.
You are probably right, but I suppose one can at least point out that if anything serious ever did happen, like an accident that involved killing an innocent, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine an ambitious local prosecutor turning it into a manslaughter charge and putting someone away for many years. Yeah, I read the report from last year, and yeah, it sounds like fun, but it's also irresponsibility at the level of something usually ends up going badly (fatally) wrong, and ends up resulting in states and/or Congress passing draconian laws that end up impacting all of us. Also, it's getting harder and harder to be anonymous doing things like this.
      02-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #25
boomer28
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E60 M5 Interlagos/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
You are probably right, but I suppose one can at least point out that if anything serious ever did happen, like an accident that involved killing an innocent, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine an ambitious local prosecutor turning it into a manslaughter charge and putting someone away for many years. Yeah, I read the report from last year, and yeah, it sounds like fun, but it's also irresponsibility at the level of something usually ends up going badly (fatally) wrong, and ends up resulting in states and/or Congress passing draconian laws that end up impacting all of us. Also, it's getting harder and harder to be anonymous doing things like this.
My same 2 concerns. It is one thing if you are driving fast and wreck, another if you do so and hurt someone else, and a whole other can of worms if you do so while partaking in some underground race rally. The prosecutor and victim will OWN you (see Hulk Hogan's asshole son as an example).

The 2nd is the selfish one but more realistic. Bunch of rich guys in fancy cars wreck in a spectacular fashion and next thing you know the politicians get ahold of it and life gets really ugly for the next random guy to get caught speeding.

Still sounds fun but I could NEVER, EVER entertain partaking in something like this on public roads in this country.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... on the track. But seriously, you are pointing out a profile tag and compare that to actual speeding on public roads?
You're telling me you own a supercharged M3 and have never gone 76MPH on the street? thats speeding
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, of course I speed... but there is a huge difference between going 80 in a 65 zone, and going over a 100mph in a 35 zone. Don't you think?
I never said it was ME doing 100 in a 35, most of the highspeeds are in the middle of nowhere. It was indeed in the middle of nowhere in the mountians of CO when he got caught. Yes, it was stupid and reckless of him, he'll admit that, but that doesn't mean everything on the bullrun and every driver doing everything is reckless.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #28
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeKemper View Post
I never said it was ME doing 100 in a 35, most of the highspeeds are in the middle of nowhere. It was indeed in the middle of nowhere in the mountians of CO when he got caught. Yes, it was stupid and reckless of him, he'll admit that, but that doesn't mean everything on the bullrun and every driver doing everything is reckless.
C'mon. I know how these things work. If you tell me you haven't done this on a run, I will have a difficult time believing you. These things are havens for testosterone laden lawlessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #29
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look, are you really so unintelligent that you don't understand the difference between playing Russian roulette with a 100 round chamber vs 6, pointing it at your arm vs your head, and pointing it at yourself vs someone else? Know the risks of what you are doing, and as we say in finance, understand the "fat tail" when things go wrong (in other words, what's the worst that can happen when the shit hits the fan).

There's a huge difference between doing something a little risky, and doing something that at least to an outside observer, seems like hitting the freeway sporting a .3 BAC. Yeah, maybe you can get away with for a while, but sooner or later something bad is bound to happen, and under similar events like what was in last year's blog, could be something really bad that ends up with someone dead, someone innocent dead, and/or someone in jail for a long time (given that some the actions seem like premeditated felony).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide

Sounds like this event fits the bill nicely.
      02-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #30
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:

lol, trying to act all innocent,

These excerpts from your 2011 Bull Run story - was that not you driving?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568577

great read though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeKemper
Super sharp corners, negative camber, fast straights, it was a blast. And passing BullRunners that have no track experience on a road that is like a race track? Like shooting Fish in a Barrel. Oh, and taking corners at 1**MPH with a full fuel cell in your trunk? Like driving with rear tires made from soap. Before you know it we were running with the main pack, but Claus was nowhere to be seen.
Quote:
Out of the middle of nowhere, Instant on K-Band, we are all ready for it, pass the cop at 95, we know he is going to come out and nab someone, but he doesn't. Waiting for someone faster.
Quote:
By the time the pack passed me, I was already out of the car, feet shoulder width apart, and my hands behind my back (We were very well in the lead). I talked to the cop for about 20 minutes, before he reaches in his car... my heart stops... cuffs? I was sweating, I've never been to jail and never want to be arrested. He reached in his car... and takes 2 photographs of me. "Incase I run?", I ask? He replies, "I just wanted to get a good picture of that shirt". I look down to remember that I'm wearing Penguin Footy Pajamas pulled down, tied around my waist, Pink Teddy Bear shoes, and a black shirt. A black shirt that appropriately reads "Hello Officer".
The cop was very nice to me ticket wise, Yes I got a ticket, but it wasn't the one I deserved.
Quote:
County roads with very low traffic, meant a very high speed. Okay, not NASCAR speeds, but 85MPH on some twisties. We approach a white Durango going 75 in a 55, I don't think twice to pass it, pop into the left lane, gun it, pull back over and Red and blue lights appear in my rear-view mirror. An undercover cop. I tone it down to 65
------

Funny how this thread turned from a request for a co-pilot to a speed bashing thread.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 02-22-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I actually love the BullRun Rally and Gumball 3000. But I think you can participate without going ridiculous speeds... I was actually thinking about that.

Of course I put the hammer down once in a while, but again, there is a huge difference between stepping on it once in a while and maintaining excessive speeds.

Drake is a good driver, no question... many of us seen him driving, but on a public road there are so many variables that you can't control.

I wish the rally organizers would include (just like gumball) track events. But man, if you party all night and then speed like crazy on a public road with a hangover you are just asking for trouble.

let it go man... what are you trying to prove; don't like it, don't read it and move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Just thinking about doing bullrun is a rush but like so many of you pointed out - is it worth the risk? Could you live with yourself if you were part of what killed someone?

All it takes for bullrun to be shutdown is an even like this with someone killed: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651526

Theres just too much risk due to uncontrolled variables to do this on the street.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #33
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
Just thinking about doing bullrun is a rush but like so many of you pointed out - is it worth the risk? Could you live with yourself if you were part of what killed someone?

All it takes for bullrun to be shutdown is an even like this with someone killed: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651526

Theres just too much risk due to uncontrolled variables to do this on the street.
they had an incident last year where a R8 Sypder rear-ended a local driver. No one was hurt fortunately.

Quote:
I'm sure everyone heard that there was a wreck on the BullRun. Here is what ACTUALLY happened, don't listen to the rumors. ONE BullRun car was involved, the R8 spyder was ruined as it rear-ended a Honda. NO ONE was hurt, and everyone is doing 100% perfectly fine. It wasn't a 6 car pile-up like some websites reported.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #34
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry, one more interjection, then I'll stop. When I think Bullrun, this is what it reminds me of:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102685/
"The Ultimate Rush", of course, until something goes badly wrong.
      02-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #35
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Says the person who drives "fast and takes chances".
Haha that's pretty stupid. You probably think I'm The Stig.
      02-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #36
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Oh, I thought I'm on a public forum having a discussion...
Oh no one told you that if you dont agree with the OP you should shut up and move on!?! This isnt a public forum its a personal validation forum!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #37
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
Haha that's pretty stupid. You probably think I'm The Stig.
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #38
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
Targa Newfoundland looks fantastic. The Mille Miglia looks awesome too but that means buying a vintage car as well. The Targa Newfoundland may be a "must do" for me. Bull Run altogether different program but based on the write up the OP did about last years, it looks pretty epic.
i went on Miglia, 3x gumball 3000's and also on bullrun 2011. Bullrun is an amazing week and will definatly be one of the best weeks of your life. Bullrun compared to gumball has a lot more small luxuries believe it or not. Bullrun had a roped off VIP area everynight with bottle service included for us... on gumball expect to be paying $16 for a bottle of beer. Bullrun also had a much better group of people than gumball. I have made some amazing friends on gumball but overall i felt everyone on bullrun were much closer and more on the same page. gumball attracts an amazing mix of people from all over the globe, from sheks, rich euros, washed up celebs, russian gangsters among a bunch of other random people... there are a lot of dick heads though. Pretty much everyone on bullrun was cool.

For those worried about the "Risk" it is not necessary to balls out the entire rally. In our car we mostly cruised around 80mph and went up to 130ish when on back road straight aways. We did speed, but we kept it safe and we actually placed very well over all because we didnt have to worry about getting pulled over. we actually didnt even get a single speeding ticket.

i know drake personally and can vouch he is a cool guy. if anyone from the board is considering taking him up on this and wants a second opinion or more info on the event, feel free to hit me up.

marco
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #39
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
I actually love the BullRun Rally and Gumball 3000. But I think you can participate without going ridiculous speeds... I was actually thinking about that.

I wish the rally organizers would include (just like gumball) track events. But man, if you party all night and then speed like crazy on a public road with a hangover you are just asking for trouble.

Please note, there are around 80 cars that participate in bullrun. You do not need to go ridiculously fast to have a good time. we kept our speeds safe and had a blast. imagine 80 cars going 130-150mph for 3000 miles.... no way. your buying into the myth. i understand it only takes one dumbass driver to mess the whole thing up and i understand how there are factors that cannot be predicted (both on public and private roads) but the rally isnt a death race.

There are also a few private track events on the rally. we were scheduled to have 2 track days and a go kart session on the last rally however, 1 track day got canceled. Gumball has had the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #40
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Bullrun also had a much better group of people than gumball. I have made some amazing friends on gumball but overall i felt everyone on bullrun were much closer and more on the same page. gumball attracts an amazing mix of people from all over the globe, from sheks, rich euros, washed up celebs, russian gangsters among a bunch of other random people... there are a lot of dick heads though. Pretty much everyone on bullrun was cool.
That's good to know. I had the impression they were about the same.
      02-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #41
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep

And just so you know, the BullRun DOES organize track events for us. This year I got 2nd place in the "HotLap Challenge" the only person who beat me was Robby Gordon... in a LP570-4 Superleggera.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #42
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep

I also currently have found a ride as Porsche North America is sponsoring me. Talk amongst yourselves if you'd like to create your own teams
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #43
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
I also currently have found a ride as Porsche North America is sponsoring me. Talk amongst yourselves if you'd like to create your own teams
Op aren't you the one that did the forum wars against MB.

Either way be safe.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #44
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
Op aren't you the one that did the forum wars against MB.

Either way be safe.

Yes I am
Appreciate 0