BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
JuniorM3
Captain
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 CP GT3

Exclamation BMW M3 G-Power Supercharger system ON SALE!! 635HP!!

The German G-Power celebrates its 25th anniversary.
BTW....They built the fastest sedan in the world. A BMW M5 that goes up to 367.4Kmh

They offer 3 stages of tuning with there special Supercharger system for the M3

Check this!!!
Evo I 525Nm and 525HP for 7,500 Euro's!!!!

You can opt for an EVO-SK II or III, that goes up to 550 and 635 hp

Until January 31 the SK I is on sale for € 7500 instead of € 13,950.

Check the site!
http://www.g-power.de

Check out the E9X M3 product line http://www.g-power.de/972.html?&L=1

I want one of the 3 stages on my car. I'm gonna visit them and drive one of the M3's first. I wanna know it drives and sounds. They make the kits for MT and DCT

I'll make some vid's when i drive the car
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorM3 View Post
BTW....They built the fastest sedan in the world. A BMW M5 that goes up to 367.4Kmh

Check this!!!

Here is the product list for the M3 E9x series
http://www.g-power.de/index.php?id=9...9&uid=3460&L=1

Check http://www.g-power.de

I want one of the 3 stages on my car. I'm gonna visit them and drive one of the M3's first. I wanna know it drives and sounds. They make the kits for MT and DCT
I'll be watching this. Definitely be comparing the superchargers coming out. Let us know what you think
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorM3 View Post

Check this!!!

http://www.g-power.de/934.html?&L=1&carid=6000

Check out the E9X M3 product line http://www.g-power.de/972.html?&L=1

I'll make some vid's when i drive the car
Christ! That a proper load to get you from A - Z in a blink of an eye

Wow... wouldn't mind saving up for a system.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

Wow, this is actually a reasonable price, but I got this car because it's naturally aspirated. A little 2 day road trip would do it... The GruppeM intake would become rather useless...

Before everyone in the US goes crazy about this, remember their site used to say that the installation is only at their headquarters. However now it says price excl. shipping, which would not make sense if u get it installed there.
      01-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

holy f*%k 635hp insaneeeeee
      01-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
pepper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

to bad no support for US customers if something needs to be fixed
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

holy crap! 635hp! are there any teaser vids of this???
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
thats a good price for the amount of power claimed...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

how can the company afford to sell it for $7500 instead of $13950? WTF? that is almost half price... how much profit margin do they have in these things.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3

...and do they make a version that's not orange and blue?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadarin View Post
...and do they make a version that's not orange and blue?
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
how can the company afford to sell it for $7500 instead of $13950? WTF? that is almost half price... how much profit margin do they have in these things.

Alot. All these "S/C Kits", the actual parts total cost, is only about $4K-5K(Dollars not Euros) at the most. These companies just want to charge an arm and a leg for their "R&D". I laugh when I see people here in this forum, think a S/C kits supposed to be $15K-$20K. For example, the entry level T-trim Vortech S/C alone, which is a low boost S/C 5-6psi(all the M3 needs w/ stock internals to put out 525hp-550hp), cost about $1K from Vortech, maybe less.
From ASA which is what G-power uses, I dont know but I will find out.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
pepper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

why do we already have kits, but don't know what the DCT can take yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #14
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
why do we already have kits, but don't know what the DCT can take yet?
An F/I M3 at 6 psi will put down about 550HP and 500Nm or 368.7 Lbs tq.
The DCT can take upto 440 Lbs or 596.5 Nm.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Mrbojangles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3- Melbourne RED-

You know, I was at Gintani the other day, and I saw them working on a M6 Hurricane edition, Stage 1, and they were getting ready to build a Stage 3 Hurricane RS. Even though they are building their own supercharger kit for the M3, they are the only authorized shop to install Gpower products.. if anyone is interested you should give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD0977 View Post
Alot. All these "S/C Kits", the actual parts total cost, is only about $4K-5K(Dollars not Euros) at the most. These companies just want to charge an arm and a leg for their "R&D". I laugh when I see people here in this forum, think a S/C kits supposed to be $15K-$20K. For example, the entry level T-trim Vortech S/C alone, which is a low boost S/C 5-6psi(all the M3 needs w/ stock internals to put out 525hp-550hp), cost about $1K from Vortech, maybe less.
From ASA which is what G-power uses, I dont know but I will find out.
that sounds good, do you know if we can have a local shop custom fab our own supercharger with the 1k parts from vortech. That is very affordable and resonable price. imo ss or tb shouldn't cost more than 5k.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
that sounds good, do you know if we can have a local shop custom fab our own supercharger with the 1k parts from vortech. That is very affordable and resonable price. imo ss or tb shouldn't cost more than 5k.
The big problem for this car is the intake. You have to have a custom fabbed one. Thats about 1500-2000 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #18
ssmiles5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

can yu buy this is america?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #19
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmiles5 View Post
can yu buy this is america?
Yes. AutoTalent carries this kit. There's 2 members on the forum that have them already.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 03:50 AM   #20
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

We are fitting a G-Power SKII + Titanium exhaust just now.

The amount of money the inlet manifold must have cost to develop and then get made in quantity would not have been cheap. Same goes for the intercooler.

Then every pipe and other part (less supercharger main unit) is custom made and made in small quantities which is always very expensive.

You then have the mapping which would not have been just a few days things either.

It's not easy making a supercharger kit and certainly not cheap. There's alot of detail that goes into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #21
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
We are fitting a G-Power SKII + Titanium exhaust just now.

The amount of money the inlet manifold must have cost to develop and then get made in quantity would not have been cheap. Same goes for the intercooler.

Then every pipe and other part (less supercharger main unit) is custom made and made in small quantities which is always very expensive.

You then have the mapping which would not have been just a few days things either.

It's not easy making a supercharger kit and certainly not cheap. There's alot of detail that goes into it.
+1000

It's easy to throw stones, when you have no idea of what it takes to create a complex product like a fully sorted supercharger system on a BMW. (especially one for a car that was designed as naturally aspirated from the factory)

After having the privilege of speaking with all the R&D dept. chiefs from Dinan, VF Engineering, Active Autowerke, ESS, and G Power, (that are assigned the task of building these products), I know many of you would be astounded by all the little details that have to be addressed. (in order to make the SC system work reliably and efficiently)

The entire R&D burden is on your shoulders. These responsibilities include: the overall design concept, sorting out fitment issues, cooling system methodology, any tuning issues, and all supporting hardware like adapters, bolts, screws, brackets, and clamps, etc., needed to put it all together. You have to design every SC component to work within the very tight engine bay of the M3, where there is some available real estate. You must design all these parts around other existing (OE) systems that are also necessary to operate the vehicle. (without adversely affecting there normal operation)

And that's just for starters...

Next, you have to design several dozen prototype pieces (of various materials, shapes, and sizes) to find which one works best. These parts will be made from aluminum, steel, and a variety of different plastic grades. The silicone hose adapters, primary intake manifold, all plastic and metal piping, and clamps must fit together like a glove. If not, you SC system will suffer from chronic boost leaks. (which is a performance killer) All the SC brackets and tensioner must be designed to bolt up in perfect alignment with the engine crankshaft pulley, to avoid a SC belt failure. (a SC belt will be eaten alive due to a slight alignment error)

Every part has to be customized to avoid fitment and alignment problems that can cause headaches later on. (which affects the long term reliability of the entire system) This will require you to build many parts and pieces that may never appear in the final production kit. That's just how it works when you designing a SC kit from scratch. There's a lot of trial and error involved here, and this is why the development time on these SC systems take so long. You have to understand (and accept) that some of the time and money you are investing in the development stage...will never bare fruit. It's a necessary evil to achieving the end goal. (a viable shipping product)

The final two stages are tuning and durability (or destruction testing) phases

The prototype SC system is dyno tested, (and road tested) using a proprietary ECU software revision tools to over-write the original software code within the BOSCH MSS60 engine management computer in our cars.

That usually takes several months to a year in some cases. Tuners must find a happy medium between achieving maximum power and torque...without causing unintended consequences.

What are some of those unintended consequences?

Leaning the motor out (to a borderline AFR), in order to achieve a 'hero' dyno chart power number that is right on the razors edge of performance. (the line between maximum power and detonation is extremely thin) That approach will almost certainly cause the ECU to throw a engine code at some point, and the engine will cut power as it senses the onset of detonation. This due to the sensitivity of the engine knock detection system on the M3. Should there be a misfire, or any abnormal combustion condition within a cylinder, the ion-flow system (fitted to each individual ignition coil), will recognize it..and shut the game down. This system senses knock from within a cylinder, rather than from the outside. (as in previous M cars) Each power cycle within a cylinder creates a specific pattern of ions, which is continuously monitored. Any noticeable deviation from the normal pattern, will trigger an adjustment in timing. And since readings are internal and not sound-based, they remain highly accurate throughout the rev range. This generally prohibits any chances of real engine damage from poorly written software files, but it is very annoying when it sets off the ion-flow knock sensors. Another consequence, is the rough idle/cold starting problems on the low end of the rpm range. This problem will also throw codes that may require a trip to the shop or dealer. If any timing/detonation issues occur at high rpms, the ECU will cut power to avoid engine damage. This VERY ANNOYING when it happens, and it's very depressing when you have spent 12-18 thousand dollars fitting a supercharger system to your car.

No one wants to spend that kind of cash, only to be disappointed by poorly written forced induction software. (even on rare occasions) It drains all the excitement out of the entire upgrade.

Tuning issues are the biggest hurdle these kits face. The talent and experience of the tuner(s) is very important. If that aspect is lacking, so will the overall performance of the SC system on a day-to-day basis.

Finally...

The last step before the public release of any Supercharger kit...is the durability/destruction testing phase.

The finished supercharger prototype, is put to the test under extreme loads and conditions in an attempt to identify any weaknesses in the entire SC system. This type of testing is crucial to verify that all the theoretical designs will work like they are supposed to in real world. This testing typically requires several track days where the SC is pushed beyond the limits it see on the street. If any issues do arise from testing, they are dealt with (redesigned or re-engineered), and the testing continues until the part in question meets the necessary performance level required.

The track testing is also complemented by thousands of miles of street and highway testing, to cover a wide variety of driving conditions.

In the secondary phase of durability testing (with a few volunteers that are signed up in advance), any quirks that may have slipped through the cracks un-diagnosed (during the in-house testing) are addressed as they come up.

The theory is...

If the SC system can pass all these pre-production testing procedures, the product is ready for release to the general public.

It's always a work in progress with any forced induction system. Everyone needs to understand this upfront, and have some patience if a minor issue needs to be addressed with your SC system. (to improve the performance or reliability)

There is no such thing as a PERFECT forced induction system. (no matter who built it)

They all have their 'quirks' and 'issues' that will require some attention. (sooner or later)

Don't let any salesman that is trying to sell you a supercharger system...fool you into thinking otherwise.

I'm not trying to sell you anything here, just giving you guys a heads up.
      09-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #22
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
I think it's 7500 Euro, so it's more in USD!!
Appreciate 0