BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

08-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

PFC-06 too noisy for street?

I am not satisfied with the performance of my pads on the track (I guess no wonder since they are street pads) - I practically have to coast for the final 1/3 of the back straight on Mosport to avoid fade. I imagine, with upgraded tires coming soon and higher speeds it's only going to get worse.

But I am too lazy/busy to swap pads between track days. Is it a good idea to put PFC-06 on and just leave them on for the season and swap back to OEMs in October? I do not worry about dust or rotor wear, as I don't drive much. The only thing that worries me is noise - how noisy are they on the street? If they are too noisy, plan B is to get PFC Z-rated and brake ducts.

Last edited by MaxL; 08-08-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
I am not satisfied with the performance of my pads on the track (I guess no wonder since they are street pads) - I practically have to coast for the final 1/3 of the back straight on Mosport to avoid fade. I imagine, with upgraded tires coming soon and higher speeds it's only going to get worse.

But I am too lazy/busy to swap pads between track days. Is it a good idea to put PFC-06 on and just leave them on for the season and swap back to OEMs in October? I do not worry about dust or rotor wear, as I don't drive much. The only thing that worries me is noise - how noisy are they on the street? If they are too noisy, plan B is to get PFC Z-rated and brake ducts.
I did that with through the summer of 2008 with Pagid Yellow RS-19 endurance pads and it was fine. My wife refused to drive the car because of the noise (and that's a bad thing?) but otherwise the noise was tolerable.

From the listing on the PFC website, the 06's look like a good choice. I used to run 01's on another car - they were great, but the dust was very corrosive. You might check that before you commit - the Pagid Yellow dust has a good reputation for not damaging wheels. Hopefully the 06 will be ok.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

If you are worried about corrosive dust get some non stick cooking spray and wipe off when you get home
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

I don't think dust will be much of a problem - I'm worried about noise on the street. Wondering if it's as bad as PFC-01
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Yes track pads will be noisy on the street. I use PFC Z-rated pads but they won't hold up as well on the track even with brake ducts as I have them on my E36 M3. Hawk HP Plus are decent but they will squeal when cold and get better as your brakes warm up.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@bavarianx View Post
If you are worried about corrosive dust get some non stick cooking spray and wipe off when you get home
Actually, cooking spray can harden (like vegetable oil-based paint) on the wheel from the heat.

I used to use a light coating of Vaseline, which is petroleum based, and wipe it off in the fall. Wheels were dirty and ugly all year, but they came completely clean when the season was over.

All that said, it's unnecessary to use pads that are corrosive. There are lots that aren't that work fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
I don't think dust will be much of a problem - I'm worried about noise on the street. Wondering if it's as bad as PFC-01
My PFC-01's made a soft grinding sound but were otherwise quiet. They were fine on the street and great on the track. Why don't you contact PFC directly and ask them? Most of the suppliers to the real racing teams are very responsive. At least that's been my experience.
Appreciate 0