BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
zimm
Rep
Drives: 335 shopping

Looking at used 08-09 M3's. Go with NAV or do my own system?

I'm researching '08-'09 M3 sedans. I'm a bit of a tech nerd when it comes to having good audio/nav systems in my vehicles. My other 2 vehicles have built in NAV/bluetooth/sat radio/back up camera and are great. One is Kenwood aftermarket, the other is a VW which I upgraded with OEM nav.

Now as far as the M3's are concerned, I hear a lot of bad about '08 navigation. The '09 cars are a bit out of my budget range. I'm stretching to afford an '08.

The big question is to go with factory nav or not? Is there an aftermarket dual-din set up for these cars to just plop in a Kenwood/garmin unit and add my own speakers/amps? The dash doesn't look like it. Can the navigation be upgraded OEM? Or should I go with no nav and stick a garmin Nuvi on the dash (which I hate to do, but whatever is best...). Should I look for a used car with premium sound, or I can buy amps/speakers and upgrade myself. I have no idea how plug and play the upgrades are for these cars, nor how "integrated" everything is.

What's the hot ticket for the best in nav and audio?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I got nav because of what I'd be missing without it IMO: iDrive. I hardly use nav, but wouldn't enjoy my car nearly as much without iDrive. Plus on '08s, 'tech' was the only way to get EDC as well. Yes, that makes the car less reliable in the long run, but both options were a must for me. You need to decide what options are important to you then decide. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I got nav because of what I'd be missing without it IMO: iDrive. I hardly use nav, but wouldn't enjoy my car nearly as much without iDrive. Plus on '08s, 'tech' was the only way to get EDC as well. Yes, that makes the car less reliable in the long run, but both options were a must for me. You need to decide what options are important to you then decide. Good luck.
I have an '08 without iDrive. And I have EDC. EDC was a standalone option in '08. Maybe you're thinking M drive.

I've never seen an dual DIN setup in these cars but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I have the base (HiFi) audio system and will be upgrading it but I will keep the HU and just change out the amp and speakers; the amp's in the trunk so there is no messing with anything in the console. Most speakers will need some form of adapter to fit and BMW doesn't provide a whole lot of depth behind so that may limit what kind of speakers you get. Bavariansoundwerks dot com offers speakers specially made to fit BMWs. Earthquake has subs that replace the OEM subs under the seat. Beyond this you may need to be a bit creative. There are adapters you can buy though that will help you mount 3rd party speakers. Search the forum for these. FWIW, most folks think the premium audio system upgrade is pretty decent, especially for an OEM system.

If you really want the navigation then look for '09 as they upgraded the iDrive system for 2009 and it is much better. I feel the '09+ system is pretty darn good. Aftermarket nav units may have a couple of features not offered, but they're not really anything worth giving up the integrated look and function of the BMW iDrive system, IMO. You can get aftermarket rear-view cameras to work with the BMW iDrive. Search on the forum, there are at least a couple folks here that sell camera/video systems and other electronic accessories.

In summary, if you really want all the electronic goodies and want it all integrated with the car then get the OEM audio and nav and get an '09+. If you want something super and don't mind putting in some effort, then get any year M3 with the base audio and no nav then add your own.

To me the biggest attraction of the M3 is the engine and handling. The electronics goodies are nice but I'd gladly forgo all of that for just the sound of the exhaust with the windows down. Good luck.

Cheers.
      10-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm going aftermarket double-DIN for my situation. This is the last N/A M3 and I plan to keep this thing until the wheels fall off and the OEM nav will be a dinosaur 5 years from now. It will take some work to go double DIN but after it's all done with amps and speakers it will be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Aftermarket double din is possible, but the location is not ideal and the 2009 idrive is actually pretty good. Still waiting for the retrofit for 2008 models to come out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
navipapa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2006

THIS SITE Has OEM like Navigation/Multimedia systems that fit like the original. Has Navi, DVD, USB.SD Card, iPod Dock, some have 3G. Anyway check it out. Hope this helps.

this is made for BMW 3/ E90/E91/E92/E93
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
zimm
Rep
Drives: 335 shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by navipapa View Post
THIS SITE Has OEM like Navigation/Multimedia systems that fit like the original. Has Navi, DVD, USB.SD Card, iPod Dock, some have 3G. Anyway check it out. Hope this helps.

this is made for BMW 3/ E90/E91/E92/E93
You replied to a 2 year old thread. I've been through 2 vehicles since I posted that. Hope it helps someone though.
Appreciate 0