BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #67
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Some comparisons. Stock, Dinan and Eibach. I had H&R on my first M3 but don't have any pics. The lower I went, the worse the ride got compared to stock. Shaved mounts, e36 bumps on all setups. My favorite riding spring is the Dinan. The .5" even drop from Dinan (a hair lower than ZCP) is a noticeable drop albeit the most subtle, probably why it's the best riding.

Stock

Dinan

Eibach
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #68
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Some comparisons. Stock, Dinan and Eibach. I had H&R on my first M3 but don't have any pics. The lower I went, the worse the ride got compared to stock. Shaved mounts, e36 bumps on all setups. My favorite riding spring is the Dinan. The .5" even drop from Dinan (a hair lower than ZCP) is a noticeable drop albeit the most subtle, probably why it's the best riding.

Stock

Dinan

Eibach
From what i'm seeing,my choise go's to Eibach(just perfect),but how was the ride of Eibach ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #69
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
From what i'm seeing,my choise go's to Eibach(just perfect),but how was the ride of Eibach ?
Very good most of the time. On very rough patches of road they aren't as composed and comfy as Dinan. Eibach's are ~.3" lower up front compared to Dinan and about the same in the back.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #70
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Very good most of the time. On very rough patches of road they aren't as composed and comfy as Dinan. Eibach's are ~.3" lower up front compared to Dinan and about the same in the back.
THX man...when i need new springs it will be Eibach .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #71
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Stock

Dinan

Eibach
Thanks for posting these. What tires were you running in those pics?

I've always suspected that Dinan + spacers (15-12 front; 12-10 rear) + 255/275 tires = decent stance with no negative impact on handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #72
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Thanks for posting these. What tires were you running in those pics?

I've always suspected that Dinan + spacers (15-12 front; 12-10 rear) + 255/275 tires = decent stance with no negative impact on handling.
ZCP size wheels, et20, stock tire sizes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #73
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 m3

I'd stick to oem (especially if you have competition package), or Dinan.

All the other springs drop the front more than the real and screw up the car's balance. I've had H&R race and Eibachs.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #74
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

from reading this thread i'm torn between EIBACH or H&R... decisions decisions... EErrrr

buttom line is that im looking for comfort....please me decide...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #75
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast1st
from reading this thread i'm torn between EIBACH or H&R... decisions decisions... EErrrr

buttom line is that im looking for comfort....please me decide...
For comfort, eibach by far over h&r

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #76
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I'd stick to oem (especially if you have competition package), or Dinan.

All the other springs drop the front more than the real and screw up the car's balance. I've had H&R race and Eibachs.
That's my fear. My car is my DD and will see no more than a handful of track days a year at most. My goal is a modest improvement in performance without sacrificing comfort and practicality.

I generally feel like it should be all (coilovers) or nothing when it comes to suspension, but not sure I can justify the cost of coilovers or want the car that low for daily driving. Dinan seems to be a rare exception to the coilovers-or-nothing philosophy since they (1) do not decrease suspension travel, (2) don't dramatically alter the spring rates, (3) do not alter the geometry, and (4) don't drop it too low.

That said, I must admit that I'm a little curious how the Swift springs with the rest of the Dinan kit would feel.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #77
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep

"The rest of the Dinan kit" are bumpstops from E36, and a few millimeters shaved off the stock front guide supports. The springs are actually a fair bit stiffer than stock. It's a total fucking rip-off at retail prices unless you're buying super early in your car's life cycle and can really get a use out of that warranty. I bought a used set for $500 since my warranty will be up in a year and Dinan doesn't offer extended warranty on its parts.

Two important things to remember:

1. M3's bump stops are initially very soft, but when compressed to a certain length, they will become very stiff. The M3 has roughly 2.25 inches of compression travel. If you lower too much you would be constantly bottoming out on the bump stop. If you have four people in the car with stock springs, you are already sitting on the bump stops. This was my issue with H&R Sports, I had to drive it like a grandmother because it would bottom out on any bump. Using smaller bump stops like the E36 can help, but I think you really need aftermarket shocks like Koni yellows to really make super aggressive drops work.

2. The front and rear suspension are balanced to make the M3 pretty neutral (with a tad of understeer) when driven at the limit. If one end of the car is lowered significantly more than the other, that axle will likely bottom out, loose grip sooner, and change the balance of the car.

I couldn't believe the enormous difference it made to switch to a more neutral rake. With the H&R sports (.4" differential between front and rear drop), the car felt like it was moments away from faceplanting the nose into the ground around corners and during hard braking. Eibachs (.2" differential) was a lot better, but the car still occasionally felt like it was precariously balanced on its tippy toes when I was really pushing it. Dinan took me back to factory rake, and I'm never going back!!!

So basically, if you want to go with springs, go with Eibachs not because they are better, but because they are "less bad". If you search around, you'll find quite a few people switched from H&R to Eibachs and are quite happy. I still wasn't happy, so I went with Dinan. If I had a competition package car, I wouldn't touch the suspension at all except some camber plates and maybe a thicker sway bar, but you don't even really need the latter (I have the Dinan roll bar because I found a used one for $200, I like it).

Last edited by EvenSteven; 10-30-2013 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #78
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"The rest of the Dinan kit" are bumpstops from E36, and a few millimeters shaved off the stock front guide supports. The springs are actually a fair bit stiffer than stock. It's a total fucking rip-off at retail prices unless you're buying super early in your car's life cycle and can really get a use out of that warranty. I bought a used set for $500 since my warranty will be up in a year and Dinan doesn't offer extended warranty on its parts.

Two important things to remember:

1. M3's bump stops are initially very soft, but when compressed to a certain length, they will become very stiff. The M3 has roughly 2.25 inches of compression travel. If you lower too much you would be constantly bottoming out on the bump stop. If you have four people in the car with stock springs, you are already sitting on the bump stops. This was my issue with H&R Sports, I had to drive it like a grandmother because it would bottom out on any bump. Using smaller bump stops like the E36 can help, but I think you really need aftermarket shocks like Koni yellows to really make super aggressive drops work.

2. The front and rear suspension are balanced to make the M3 pretty neutral (with a tad of understeer) when driven at the limit. If one end of the car is lowered significantly more than the other, that axle will likely bottom out, loose grip sooner, and change the balance of the car.

I couldn't believe the enormous difference it made to switch to a more neutral rake. With the H&R sports (.4" differential between front and rear drop), the car felt like it was moments away from faceplanting the nose into the ground around corners and during hard braking. Eibachs (.2" differential) was a lot better, but the car still occasionally felt like it was precariously balanced on its tippy toes when I was really pushing it. Dinan took me back to factory rake, and I'm never going back!!!

So basically, if you want to go with springs, go with Eibachs not because they are better, but because they are "less bad". If you search around, you'll find quite a few people switched from H&R to Eibachs and are quite happy. I still wasn't happy, so I went with Dinan. If I had a competition package car, I wouldn't touch the suspension at all except some camber plates and maybe a thicker sway bar, but you don't even really need the latter (I have the Dinan roll bar because I found a used one for $200, I like it).
Interesting stuff. Thanks for typing all that. I could have sworn Steve Dinan said the springs were 10% stiffer than OEM? Otherwise, I agree with everything you said: Maintain a neutral rake and don't go too low.

Last edited by Hujan; 10-31-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #79
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep

Don't quote me on this, but if I remember correctly, Dinan stated their springs were 10% stiffer than the competition springs, which are in turn a tad stiffer than the Civic ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #80
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't quote me on this, but if I remember correctly, Dinan stated their springs were 10% stiffer than the competition springs, which are in turn a tad stiffer than the Civic ones.
Yeah, that's what I remember as well. Lol at "Civic."
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #81
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Swift Spec R!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #82
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

so OP have you decided what to get??!! I ordered an EIBACH! woot woot...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #83
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Swift Spec R!
+1 on Swifts, they are incredible. I believe they are a little more aggressive height wise than Eibach, but they ride amazing. 110% satisfied with my setup.

Stock non ZCP:

Swift Spec-R + E36 bump stops:

P.S. The rear there seems to be a bigger gap than normal is because tires are 245 and stretched. Wasn't my choice, came with the wheels. Once 255 or 265 goes on, it'll look even more menacing.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #84
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Have you noticed any bottoming out with the Swifts and E36 bumpstops? Just got mine and waiting for good weather to install.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #85
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limerock Grey M3 / Hellrot 1M

Installing my Swift springs tomorrow! Will take before and After shots.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #86
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Just to throw in my 2 cents on the Swift springs. I got em sometime mid last year i think and I highly recommend them. They ride great around town and actually do pretty well at the track too. They do settle quite a bit after you install them, so i would definitely do the e36M bumpstops AND trim your guide supports down some (similar to the dinan setup). If you don't do the different bumpstops and guide trimming you will be essentially riding on the bumpstops after it settles. Here's a pic of mine from about a month ago.

2013 ZCP with EDC.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tigermack473.50
      04-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #87
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

For you guys that installed the Swift's have you all used the OEM rear spring pads? It's my understanding the ZCP models have thinner spring pads for the rear. Was wondering if these might help keep the factory rake. I seen in this thread by Malek: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423572 he removes the spring rads altogether.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #88
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

I used my OEM ones. I have ZCP and they did seem pretty thin.
Appreciate 0