BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

09-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
2k328ci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 M-DCT / 2018 X3 M40i

Question Any tips or suggestions getting a rock chip on windshield repaired or replaced?

Hi all,

Just got a small rock chip on my windshield, its small, but the spider cracks are about the size of a quarter. (I've never had this happen in 32yrs of driving yet!)

I love my e92M3 and intend to keep it for as long as I can - is it a waste to get a full OEM replacement? Where would one go for such a job (not the stealership)?

How are those plastic filling crack repairs? I assume they aren't all equal quality (the places I see at a Canadian Tire parking lot). Are they just as good? Are there better places to get that done?

Any tips, experiences and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Webb70
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's

Apple Auto Glass
But go quick before it gets bigger (any bigger than a quarter and they can't repair it).
      09-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
2k328ci
Private
Canada
Rep

I took it to Apple Auto Glass on Laird today to get them to look at it, they said it was fixable, but it wouldn't be invisible (its about the size of a dime). They showed me one they fixed that was the "best" case scenario and I thought it looked pretty ugly - it was definitely NOT invisible. Luckily its near the bottom, but I'd probably see the flaw all the time and I know it will bug me.

I think I'm going to get insurance to replace it ($500 deductible) for a replacement factory original at a dealership just to be sure. Too many shady places around town after doing a bit more research.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Webb70
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's

Auto Glass Magic did mine in June....These guys are pros, 3 of them worked on mine and did an amazing job..... give them a call

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263948
      09-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb70
Auto Glass Magic did mine in June....These guys are pros, 3 of them worked on mine and did an amazing job..... give them a call

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263948
+1 to Auto Glass Magic (as stated in the Maxbimmer thread as well).

FYI, no dealership does their own windshield replacement. They are ALL outsourced to local shops, just that the glass is stamped with a BMW logo above the Sekuirt/Pilkington/whatever the supplier is as it is OE glass.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
2k328ci
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I thought I would update with my experiences - it was a huge learning curve. To make a long story short, after contacting the insurance company, a lot of research and visiting Apple Autoglass, I decided to go to a dealership (and there was a big variation there as well!). The prices for these things are just all over the place! It's like the Wild West.

So Windshield chip repair isn't as invisible as they'd like to advertise and only works best on devits without any spidering cracks. So that was not going to be visually acceptable to me.

Insurance comprehensive usually doesn't go up unless you make lots of claims, but they only covered for aftermarket glass, you'd have to pay the difference between their "negotiated rates" with their own approved installer (Apple Autoglass in my case). I found out that my insurance pays around $800 for labour and glass to Apple. So if I can find a dealership that is close to that, then my insurance will cover the whole thing.

I love my M3, I didn't want the chance of any headaches about possible wavyness looking out, grey sun strip not right or rain sensor problems and I wanted that little BMW logo emblem so all my glass matched. So real OEM glass was the way to go. After phoning around I got outrageous quotes of $3K from BMW Toronto to $2K from Parkview BMW to $1K from Maranello BMW (which included a great Maxbimmer discount!). Maranello sub-contracts out to Star Autoglass that comes in to do it for them and charged me $200 for the labour (compared with $780 from Parkview or $1200 from BMW Toronto).

BMW dealerships replace the rain sensor completely and that was an expensive part at $294 (because the glass adhesive is already on the sensor part itself. Aftermarket places try to re-use the sensor - its the adhesive, if it can be taken off cleanly, they can reuse the sensor, if there are any bubbles or particles in the adhesive between the glass and sensor, then it will throw off the sensor.

$436 glass
$19.17 support ledge
$44.16 gasket trim
$294.80 rain sensor
$200 labour
$1123.37 total incl. Taxes

So I ended paying 1/3 of BMW Toronto (they also wanted to charge me $6K in the Spring for replacing a throttle body that RMP ended up charging me $2K for - seems like 300% over is their pricing policy!) just by calling around. So I am grateful for Maranello BMW and Maxbimmer forum boards!

It wasn't easy, it was a weeks worth of calling around and being switched around to a lot of people and departments. But it's finally all done. Maranello doesn't deal with Insurance companies, so I have to pay out of pocket, then request a reimbursement minus my deductible.

I hope this helps anyone looking to do the same in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Thanks for the write-up. I have a stone chip in my windshield as well and if it's not repairable I will go the same route as you (I want the logo on my windshield as well).

Going to Apple autoglass in Markham tomorrow and hopefully they can fix it. If not, new windshield here I come.
Appreciate 0