BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

08-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

Repair Manual and Diagnostic Software

I haven't been on M3post for a long time but my 2012 M3 just came off of warranty and I'm gearing up for doing maintenance and repairs myself. Does any one have opinions and knowledge about any available repair manuals and/or diagnostic software. So far my searching has found a Chilton online manual service but it's only available in the States. With respect to diagnostics, I've found Autoenginuity and Bavarian Technic. Any information or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

baba louey
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba louey
I haven't been on M3post for a long time but my 2012 M3 just came off of warranty and I'm gearing up for doing maintenance and repairs myself. Does any one have opinions and knowledge about any available repair manuals and/or diagnostic software. So far my searching has found a Chilton online manual service but it's only available in the States. With respect to diagnostics, I've found Autoenginuity and Bavarian Technic. Any information or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

baba louey
For repair instructions, you can't beat the source...

https://www.bmwtis.com

Expensive, but complete and precise...

If you don't care about precise...

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...als_e9x-m3-us/

Both good places to start...
      08-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
For repair instructions, you can't beat the source...

https://www.bmwtis.com

Expensive, but complete and precise...

If you don't care about precise...

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...als_e9x-m3-us/

Both good places to start...
Thanks for the link. Yes, it seems expensive. Do you know whether this is the site that BMW technicians use? Also is this a sanctioned BMW information site? I've checked out the workshop-manual site and it does seems less accurate.

baba
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
BMW TIS is, from what I've understood, the official BMW information. I have a feeling the techs use something that is downloaded to their local server, but I wouldn't know about that... I'm sure someone will chime in.

As far as using TIS, $30 is pretty cheap if you make a list of all procedures you'd like to have, and torque settings, and then sit down for a few hours and print/save all those procedures.
      08-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
BMW TIS is, from what I've understood, the official BMW information. I have a feeling the techs use something that is downloaded to their local server, but I wouldn't know about that... I'm sure someone will chime in.

As far as using TIS, $30 is pretty cheap if you make a list of all procedures you'd like to have, and torque settings, and then sit down for a few hours and print/save all those procedures.
I like your thinking. $30 is fine for 24hrs. Much better than taking the car into the shop at $150+/hr.

baba
Appreciate 0