BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Security Deposit Stories

Have any of you ever got your full security deposit back after ending a lease at an apartment?

I cannot understand how I get about 25% back of my desposit in almost all case scenarios.

I leave the place fuking immaculant. Hired some housecleaners and everything. Shyt looked better than before when I moved in.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Landlords are douchebags and will find any and every reason to not give your money back to you.

My lease on a house I am renting is coming up soon and the landlord (owner) seems really cool, but I'm sure will be a total dick when the $$ start flying around. So, I went to Lowe's today and got some wall/paint/cleaning stuff so I can get started early. I also need to fix some damage to the patio from the wind. All in all, I might spend $80 fixing stuff he'd likely charge $600-$700 for.

Remember, they won't charge you the cost it will take for them to fix it themselves, they will charge you what they can hire the most expensive contractor in the entire world for. What they will REALLY do is say they are going to hire someone, then either not fix it or fix it themselves for dirt cheap and then pocket the extra money from you. Assholes...
      08-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
bmiller085
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Landlords are douchebags and will find any and every reason to not give your money back to you.

My lease on a house I am renting is coming up soon and the landlord (owner) seems really cool, but I'm sure will be a total dick when the $$ start flying around. So, I went to Lowe's today and got some wall/paint/cleaning stuff so I can get started early. I also need to fix some damage to the patio from the wind. All in all, I might spend $80 fixing stuff he'd likely charge $600-$700 for.

Remember, they won't charge you the cost it will take for them to fix it themselves, they will charge you what they can hire the most expensive contractor in the entire world for. What they will REALLY do is say they are going to hire someone, then either not fix it or fix it themselves for dirt cheap and then pocket the extra money from you. Assholes...
Whoa - you have to pay for repairs on the house that you're renting??

Sold: 2014 F25 X3 35i | 2011 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Security deposits are the equivalent to the "handling fee" in shipping charges... Sure it will only cost 6 bucks to ship, but they are going to charge you 30 and make 24 extra bucks... especially on ebay.
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

In college I pretty much wrote off all my security deposits. The one apartment I stayed at actually charged me and my roommate more money because we broke the futon they had.. We had holes in the walls from push pins, and they charged us extra for not cleaning out windows on the outside.... We had no way to clean them unless we wanted to sit on the windowsill and worry about dropping 5 stories.

Last house I rented I got my deposit back because I was the only roommate moving out and the person who took my place gave me the money. I know when they moved out they didn't get it back.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller085 View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer84 View Post
Security deposits are the equivalent to the "handling fee" in shipping charges... Sure it will only cost 6 bucks to ship, but they are going to charge you 30 and make 24 extra bucks... especially on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post
In college I pretty much wrote off all my security deposits. The one apartment I stayed at actually charged me and my roommate more money because we broke the futon they had.. We had holes in the walls from push pins, and they charged us extra for not cleaning out windows on the outside.... We had no way to clean them unless we wanted to sit on the windowsill and worry about dropping 5 stories.

Last house I rented I got my deposit back because I was the only roommate moving out and the person who took my place gave me the money. I know when they moved out they didn't get it back.
wtf is wrong with these people? Opportunist at its best.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Have any of you ever got your full security deposit back after ending a lease at an apartment?

I cannot understand how I get about 25% back of my desposit in almost all case scenarios.

I leave the place fuking immaculant. Hired some housecleaners and everything. Shyt looked better than before when I moved in.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Blame yourself, people like you who allow your deposit to be stolen is why it's so common.

Next time take pictures of every inch when you rent, and leave the apartment. If they have to true claim to your deposit you take them to small claims court, which is a very easy process. If you took the pictures you will win no questions asked and they landlord will be liable for every single fee you incurred, and sometimes an additional penalty.

If you don't want to go through the trouble, a certified letter explaining you took photographic evidence of the apartments condition and intend to take them to court is all that's necessary to have it returned, reminding them of the fees and penalties they will be charged is prudent as well.

Landlords have the law stacked against them in most states, so when I hear people whine, I laugh, because all I hear is "I'm a lazy ass who can't fend for himself".

Fukin grow a pair.
      08-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller085 View Post
There are two bug screens that pulled out on the patio from the wind. A 30 minute repair at most. I will fill the 8 holes in the walls that I drilled to hang curtains and I'll paint over them. I'll also touch up the walls from any scuffs or anything I may have made.

I will fix it because I am a good tenant, I occupied the house while it happened, AND I don't want any reason for him to not give me back my full deposit, no matter how small the damage may be. It's more of a CYA thing... I'm just doing it so I don't lose more at the end. In my experience, they are very good at charging you way more than necessary for minor repairs (like holes in the wall from pictures).

I guarantee if I left it as is, most landlords (maybe even this guy) would charge at least $500 for all of it. You must have had some pretty cool landlords to let you leave a place like that and not pay for it.

Last edited by Templar; 08-23-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Blame yourself, people like you who allow your deposit to be stolen is why it's so common.

Next time take pictures of every inch when you rent, and leave the apartment. If they have to true claim to your deposit you take them to small claims court, which is a very easy process. If you took the pictures you will win no questions asked and they landlord will be liable for every single fee you incurred, and sometimes an additional penalty.

If you don't want to go through the trouble, a certified letter explaining you took photographic evidence of the apartments condition and intend to take them to court is all that's necessary to have it returned, reminding them of the fees and penalties they will be charged is prudent as well.

Landlords have the law stacked against them in most states, so when I hear people whine, I laugh, because all I hear is "I'm a lazy ass who can't fend for himself".

Fukin grow a pair.
A little harsh, but good advice nonetheless.

I hate to say it, but you're right. I assumed it was beyond obvious that the place was picture perfect, but I couldn't prove it without pictures.

Definitely taking pics next time around.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

I am a landlord and I have given back a full refund for the security deposit in 4 of the 5 tenants I have had so far.

The only exception was this one college student, who had parties about 4 nights per week. About 2 months after she moved in, the toilet got clogged and the sewage backed up into the bathroom floor. She never reported this to me. I found out about a week later when I noticed sewage seeping into my side of the basement. So I actually had to ask her about the sewage and she casually said "Oh yeah, the toilet flooded the bathroom with sewage a few days ago. I meant to tell you earlier but forgot." I tried to snake it myself but was unsuccessful, so I ended up hiring a professional plumber who snaked it with 100 ft, motor-driven auger and found used maxi pads and cotton balls flushed down the toilet. When I confronted her on that, she says "Oh sorry, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to flush that." Since the sewage was sitting on the bathroom floor for over a week, the grout was permanently stained a nasty brown color and you can see water damage on all the trim on the floor. Note, that bathroom was completely renovated about 3 years before this happened and was in excellent condition.

She decided to terminate the lease early (which I was glad to allow because I wanted her out). After she left and I finally got a chance to closely inspect the apartment, I found cigarette holes and red wine stains on the carpet, which I could not remove with a steam vac. I also found small shards of broken glass on the carpet.

So I kept the entire security deposit due to the gross negligent use of the toilet and damage to my carpet and bathroom. This remains the ONLY time I have not given a full refund of the security deposit.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
When I move in I document every single little mark, crack, stain, etc on the move in form. When I go to move out I make them walk through the entire place with me and go over every single item and when they point out something I show them the move in form and how it was documented. I've always gotten 100% of my deposits back because I tend to actually leave the place better than I go it. In my current place I've already done some caulking, painting, etc to make it better than when I moved in.
      08-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

We (business partners and I) let a management company manage the majority of our properties for us. For the small fee we pay out at the end of every month, they do all the maintenance, move-in/out checks, deal with advertisements of the property, and all the other crap that goes along with having rental property.

For the most part, we do give back 95% of the deposit (we have a cleaning clause in the lease that most don't ever bother to do anything about with a ~5% fee for pro cleaning) and will only take more for things that aren't easy fixes (holes in the wall, broken glass, water damage due to something the tenant did, etc.).

We have been fairly lucky that the only real issues that we have had have been people that refuse to pay rent and the people who constantly have parties (which is typically a younger crowd).

As has been said before, if you feel as though you should get 100% back, be sure to check for things in the lease, take pictures, and don't just assume you are going to get everything back without asking. Mistakes happen and fees are taken out. In my state anything over $1000 requires that the money is put into an interest earning account, so check with that kind of thing as well. There have been times with some of our more expensive properties that the cleaning fees were just taken out of the interest after a tenant had been there for some time (3 years or so).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

got my deposit back every time. the dumb bitch even gave me my last months rent check back too.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Rookie83
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 6mt cpe

Ive always got my deposit back. The minute i move out i have a cleaning crew come in and do a move out clean and clean carpets. As soon as they are done i get the manager/landlord to come do a walk through. After i basically make them agree that there is nothing wrong and everything looks good i have them sign a piece of paper saying so and have got my deposit back on all of the apartments i have ever lived in.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Good advice here guys. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

I've always got my full deposit back. I keep the places I rent clean and don't cause damage. Also, before I even move in I do a walk through with the landlord's agent and make note of everything that is wrong before I move in, and we each have a signed copy. I include everything on these reports. Additionally, upon moving out, I make sure the place is clean.

Another thing is that you should check the laws in your jurisdiction. Often times normal wear and tear (small holes for hanging things, marks on the paint, et cetera) is not something that can be taken from your security deposit as it is considered something that would happen even if the landlord was living in the property.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
evo119
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i SG sedan

I've always gone through the inspection when i move in. Note everything and take pictures. Normally the lease agreement has a required fee for general cleaning so I don't have to do it myself. Typically I've gotten 95% of my deposit back everytime.
      08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie83 View Post
Ive always got my deposit back. The minute i move out i have a cleaning crew come in and do a move out clean and clean carpets. As soon as they are done i get the manager/landlord to come do a walk through. After i basically make them agree that there is nothing wrong and everything looks good i have them sign a piece of paper saying so and have got my deposit back on all of the apartments i have ever lived in.
That wont always work, the landlord has no duty to sign or guarantee your deposit on move out and can just brush you off, but if you went that far chances are he knows he cant keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
Another thing is that you should check the laws in your jurisdiction. Often times normal wear and tear (small holes for hanging things, marks on the paint, et cetera) is not something that can be taken from your security deposit as it is considered something that would happen even if the landlord was living in the property.
This is true, but holes from hanging things is a poor example, especially now that it's very easy to hang things without causing damages. It's also very subjective.
      08-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

If a landlord withhold any of your security deposit they need to provide you with written documentation of why, such as receipts showing any repairs made. This doesn't mean they won't try and make you pay for things that they, as landlord, should pay for. It just means you know exactly where your money went and it also makes it easier as a tenant to fight.

But a good idea is to do a move-out walk through inspection with your landlord when your lease is up, that way both of you can look at and discuss the place and any potential issues.

In 2 of my last 3 rentals I got my entire deposit back and 98% and I had 3 dogs in the places. The third one landlord tried to withhold more than half, so I got a lawyer and threatened to sue him. Legal bill ate up some of what was due to me but landlord was such an asshole I didn't care if my attorney got everything, so long as landlord did not.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bga23 View Post
If a landlord withhold any of your security deposit they need to provide you with written documentation of why, such as receipts showing any repairs made. This doesn't mean they won't try and make you pay for things that they, as landlord, should pay for. It just means you know exactly where your money went and it also makes it easier as a tenant to fight.
They only have to send you an itemized list, not actual bills. In court all that's necessary is a professional estimate, and not a paid invoice. In lieu of a professional estimate the court will come to a determination on what it should cost to repair any damages the landlord can show proof of, this will still be higher then what it costs to fix it themselves.
      08-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
bm11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT

I own a couple apartments and have never kept a security deposit or charged a tenant for a repair. I would only keep it if there was unrepaired damage to the apartment that wasn't there when they moved in and was cause by them.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
They only have to send you an itemized list, not actual bills. In court all that's necessary is a professional estimate, and not a paid invoice. In lieu of a professional estimate the court will come to a determination on what it should cost to repair any damages the landlord can show proof of, this will still be higher then what it costs to fix it themselves.
I suspect this varies from state to state. My issue took place in Colorado and I believe the landlord did have to provide paid invoices. And I think most states are typically pretty tenant-friendly.
Appreciate 0