BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

02-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #23
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

+1 on the other comments about the M3. 2nd place - UNREAL!

This car just is not in the 911TT nor GT-R league, yet it totally held its own. It is an honor to even be invited to such a test IMHO. It even scored the fastest at more than one spot in the track. What an accomplishment . The damp conditions (as noted above) absolutely helped all of the other AWD-ers and hurt the M3. It would also be very interesting to know if the car had MPS or MPSC+ tires. That makes a big difference. The M3 has already basically matched the R8 at the N'Ring, when both had similar tires. Also recall the M3 has already also "bested" even the mighty GT3 by the judgement of a German magazine. Sure we all know which is faster in most straights and the corners, and which is clearly the better track car, but this comparison took some practicality, comfort and cost points into consideration. Like I keep saying M-DCT will continue to narrow the margins against such respectable "competition".
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #24
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
+1 on the other comments about the M3. 2nd place - UNREAL!

This car just is not in the 911TT nor GT-R league, yet it totally held its own. It is an honor to even be invited to such a test IMHO. It even scored the fastest at more than one spot in the track. What an accomplishment . The damp conditions (as noted above) absolutely helped all of the other AWD-ers and hurt the M3. It would also be very interesting to know if the car had MPS or MPSC+ tires. That makes a big difference. The M3 has already basically matched the R8 at the N'Ring, when both had similar tires. Also recall the M3 has already also "bested" even the mighty GT3 by the judgement of a German magazine. Sure we all know which is faster in most straights and the corners, and which is clearly the better track car, but this comparison took some practicality, comfort and cost points into consideration. Like I keep saying M-DCT will continue to narrow the margins against such respectable "competition".

Actually that comment is a little off, SportAuto commented at the time that the R8 didn't perform as expected which was proven with it's trap speed on the long straights, also the original test car was fitted with sport suspension and not the Magneticride which is believed to make all the difference. The R8 has since been tested by them and according to an insider the new time is 7:58.

Maybe DCT will bring the M3 closer to this new times but on anything other than the ring the R8 will always hold all of the cards, and rightly so when you consider the extra dosh involved.

P.S.

I have read this article a few times now and is it me or does anyone else get the impression that the GTR doesn't provide the driving experience as any of the other cars in the test. It sounds to me that in their opinion you are going through the motions without actually living them, especially so on the track. The comments that the 997tt draws you into the experience, the M3 being the most playful and the R8 providing the most tactile feel with the sweetest gearbox on the planet, none of these comments were leveled at the GTR. Sure it was the quickest and was incredible value considering the performance and practicality but for me I got the impression of watching you favourite movies in stereo, not surround sound and not in colour but in black and white.

For the money I reckon I fell happier spending the same amount on the slower, more practical M3 with all of the experience and emotion turned up to 10.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #25
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Actually that comment is a little off, SportAuto commented at the time that the R8 didn't perform as expected which was proven with it's trap speed on the long straights, also the original test car was fitted with sport suspension and not the Magneticride which is believed to make all the difference. The R8 has since been tested by them and according to an insider the new time is 7:58.
Interesting news about the R8. For the bloody price it better outperform the M3. All test between the two in terms of raw numbers show them extremely close. Same as the 997S and M3. These are all so close it is simply a drivers race. My comments about M-DCT still hold. Margins or gaps between these three will clearly be narrowed by M-DCT.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #26
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Interesting news about the R8. For the bloody price it better outperform the M3. All test between the two in terms of raw numbers show them extremely close. Same as the 997S and M3. These are all so close it is simply a drivers race. My comments about M-DCT still hold. Margins or gaps between these three will clearly be narrowed by M-DCT.
Swamp, did I not say as much.

Quote:
Maybe DCT will bring the M3 closer to this new times but on anything other than the ring the R8 will always hold all of the cards, and rightly so when you consider the extra dosh involved.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #27
Flying_Dutchman
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe DCT since July

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
It's really amazing the fact that they are comparing such great machines with the M3. You would expect it can't beat the other competitors, but does a pretty great job (specially considering price and specs).
I fully agree on that. It's a sign of genuine for the M3.
Appreciate 0