BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Z4dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 STI

1st time Polisher

Buying some stuff to upgrade my detailing arsenal and wanted to know what you guys think
I have been with zaino for about 6-7 years and just wanted to try something something different

looking on this forum and others decided on these items

Makita 9227 (1st time polisher is rotatory bad to learn with?)
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83
Menzerna Final Finish PO85RD
with Uber Orange Pad 5.5 inch medium polish pad
& Uber Blue Pad 5.5 inch final polish pad

P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel
P21S Total Auto Wash

Swissvax Glaicer
Swissvax Paint Rubber - Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer LUBE
Swissvax Cleaner Fluid

I think somewhere I seen its better to apply swissvax by hand, but I might be wrong

Im still kinda undecided on making this investment I know these products are good and will improve my cars paint but also my car is white and you can put 1 hour or 8 hours into a white car most of the time it wont look that different.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I got the Portercable and I think it's the perfect starter polisher because there's virtually no way to burn the paint.

Merzerna has some good stuff. For me the Power Finish seemed to work with almost everything except the deepest scratches, also it helps save a step unless you need that perfect shine after intensive polishing.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
+1 on the Porter Cable.

I just used my Porter Cable for the first time last night. I admit I was pretty scared to try it since threads recommended to work the polish in with setting 5 or 6. Man...6 is crazy!! I could barely hold it in my hand and you wanted me to put that on my new paint...no way I thought. But it did turn out really nice for me being a newbie to all this.

BTW...I was using the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 and it worked great. I also have the Finishing Polish (nano) and the Finishing Glaze. I've seen really good results with all of these. I also have the Swissvax Blau Weiss which hasn't been tried yet. Thats for this weekend.

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Z4dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

ok im confused about
Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA
is that the correct order?

Do I need/want all 3 im guess its best to use PO85RD last?
Not sure how Intensive PO83 is?
My car is always garaged and has very little spider swirls and usally a wash takes them out

also PC looks nice
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:32 AM   #5
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

i did it the way you did

started out with just polish and rotary.

yes you will need all three with that combination. if you haven't bought it yet i recommend detailerdomains power finish kit. it eliminates a step which is probably enough for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
Z4dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
i did it the way you did

started out with just polish and rotary.

yes you will need all three with that combination. if you haven't bought it yet i recommend detailerdomains power finish kit. it eliminates a step which is probably enough for you.
I dont see the kit your talking about could you maybe link?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Porter Cable and Menzerna with the orange pads ha ha

Only way to go, I would know, my last car was black. I say don't use a rotary and no need to upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4dave View Post
Buying some stuff to upgrade my detailing arsenal and wanted to know what you guys think
I have been with zaino for about 6-7 years and just wanted to try something something different

looking on this forum and others decided on these items

Makita 9227 (1st time polisher is rotatory bad to learn with?)
with Uber Orange Pad 5.5 inch medium polish pad
& Uber Blue Pad 5.5 inch final polish pad

P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel
P21S Total Auto Wash

Swissvax Glaicer
Swissvax Paint Rubber - Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer LUBE
Swissvax Cleaner Fluid

I think somewhere I seen its better to apply swissvax by hand, but I might be wrong

Im still kinda undecided on making this investment I know these products are good and will improve my cars paint but also my car is white and you can put 1 hour or 8 hours into a white car most of the time it wont look that different.
You can apply Swissvax Cleaner Fluid with the machine but the wax needs to be applied by hand. According to Menzerna, you don't really need to go through the progressive steps with the Super Intensive polish on a white car. If you feel the need, you can go straight from SIP or PO85RD and then SV cleaner fluid and wax.

If your car doesn't require SIP, you can just start with PO85RD which is what I do most of the time unless there are a lot of water spots or swirl marks I need to address.
      07-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
You can apply Swissvax Cleaner Fluid with the machine but the wax needs to be applied by hand.
Is that true? I have that Swissvax Cleaner Fluid too....what color pad and at what speed did you use with the PC to apply it? Tiny little bottle too...how much did you use for the whole car?

Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4dave View Post
I dont see the kit your talking about could you maybe link?
http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=410

this is the one
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBO_M3 View Post
Is that true? I have that Swissvax Cleaner Fluid too....what color pad and at what speed did you use with the PC to apply it? Tiny little bottle too...how much did you use for the whole car?
I asked Phil from Detailers Domain and he said you can use cleaner fluid with a PC and a blue pad. I use very little. I've done it twice now and I've used less than 1/4 of the bottle. I usually just put 2 thin lines of the fluid on the pad and work one whole panel (or two panels on the side of the car).
      07-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Z4dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the insightful and quick replys very helpful

Ok then im just going to get SIP and PO85RD think that should be enough

You guys think I need something like a JETseal109 or not necessary
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
SpecC
Rep

SIP to PO85RD is a pretty big jump in terms of cut and finish. i strongly recommend going with power finish instead. it cuts almost like SIP anyway. i haven't touched my SIP since i got power finish
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I asked Phil from Detailers Domain and he said you can use cleaner fluid with a PC and a blue pad. I use very little. I've done it twice now and I've used less than 1/4 of the bottle. I usually just put 2 thin lines of the fluid on the pad and work one whole panel (or two panels on the side of the car).

Good to hear. I read before that the full bottle of Swissvax Cleaning Fluid was only good for 2 cars....good way to stretch it out. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Appreciate 0