BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

12-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Buying an M3

Hi guys, I am considering buying a 2007 E92 M3, manual, sunroof, 19000kms.
They are asking $115000 driveaway and offering $37000 trade on my 07 E92 323i. Is this a reasonable deal? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
sarddenso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

looking at the classifieds, a e92 323 goes for high 30's so sounds reasonable.
cheapest e92 m3 is about 90k.
but the one you're looking at has pretty low mileage
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
M3BAS
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

No way, high $90's max in my view.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3BAS View Post
No way, high $90's max in my view.
For an 07, yeh agree.

First, an 07 is a bummer, second, a sunroof is a bummer (unless you want one of course, but why would you not want CF??)

Colour effects pricing/desirability, so the color is important. Has it got the Individual Audio (silver speaker in the door and a subwoofer under the drivers seat? Has it got the Climate Comfort windscreen or rear roller blind? 18"s or option 19's. Extended leather? (what colour is the trim, this also effects resale/value of the car IMO)

All valid things that may effect the price in some way.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
For an 07, yeh agree.

First, an 07 is a bummer, second, a sunroof is a bummer (unless you want one of course, but why would you not want CF??)

Colour effects pricing/desirability, so the color is important. Has it got the Individual Audio (silver speaker in the door and a subwoofer under the drivers seat? Has it got the Climate Comfort windscreen or rear roller blind? 18"s or option 19's. Extended leather? (what colour is the trim, this also effects resale/value of the car IMO)

All valid things that may effect the price in some way.
Thanks for the comments.
Firstly, though, what is wrong with an 07?
The colour is interlagos blue, it has 19's and upgraded audio. Don't know about windscreen. I think it has the rear roller blind.
What is extended leather?
I have decided not to get this one at this stage. It does appear to be about
10k overpriced. I will continue my search.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC99G View Post
Thanks for the comments.
Firstly, though, what is wrong with an 07?
The colour is interlagos blue, it has 19's and upgraded audio. Don't know about windscreen. I think it has the rear roller blind.
What is extended leather?
I have decided not to get this one at this stage. It does appear to be about
10k overpriced. I will continue my search.
There are some magnificent M3's for sale, and by members on this site, for example AlpineM3E92 which has everything you could ask for. Sounds like the dealer has massaged the figures and upped the trade. Stamp duty is still a killer on top of everything else. You might be better of selling yours on carsales and buying privately. You won't regret acquiring an M3, but acquiring the right one with all the goods makes it so much better.
Happy hunting
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
There are some magnificent M3's for sale, and by members on this site, for example AlpineM3E92 which has everything you could ask for. Sounds like the dealer has massaged the figures and upped the trade. Stamp duty is still a killer on top of everything else. You might be better of selling yours on carsales and buying privately. You won't regret acquiring an M3, but acquiring the right one with all the goods makes it so much better.
Happy hunting
Thanks for the advice. I am selling mine on carsales and I have someone interested so if the sale goes through I will then consider a private purchase.
The only reason I went to a dealer was because it saves the hassle of selling
mine privately. If anyone has an E92 M3 for sale let me know please. I don't
really want to go over about 100k but if the right car comes along I might
push it to 110k.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC99G View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am selling mine on carsales and I have someone interested so if the sale goes through I will then consider a private purchase.
The only reason I went to a dealer was because it saves the hassle of selling
mine privately. If anyone has an E92 M3 for sale let me know please. I don't
really want to go over about 100k but if the right car comes along I might
push it to 110k.
I think TAAXED and AlpineM3E92 are or were selling. Whatever you pay if you buy stock you are sure to want to add more bling, exhaust, springs, wheels and all the great gear that makes it that much more spectacular when you walk up to drive it. Ive seen the specs on AlpineM3E92 a while ago and I don't think they come much better in manual, not sure about TAAXED if he is still selling be he also has a nice M3. A 2007/2008 is going to be out of warranty but it's incredible how much data is stored in the key. Whatever you buy I'd have it checked out at a dealership then you'll be fine. It takes nothing to spend 20K on a few essentials so if you get them with the car you buy all the better
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #9
M_GmbH
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 2012 e92 ZCP - Space Grey

Garage List
Make sure you do your research and don't let them make you believe things on the car are options, like the sunroof - it was/is a "no cost option" because it deletes the carbon roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #10
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Self advertising.... Hahaha

Go here -------> Alpine's M3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I'd recommend buying and selling privately too. That M3 is about $15k too much, but dealers charge a lot more.

A family member was recently advised to trade in their lemon merc because the next owner wouldn't know it's service history (it's a new E series). And this was coming from the merc dealer that sold it to them...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
I'd recommend buying and selling privately too. That M3 is about $15k too much, but dealers charge a lot more.

A family member was recently advised to trade in their lemon merc because the next owner wouldn't know it's service history (it's a new E series). And this was coming from the merc dealer that sold it to them...
I have decided to buy and sell privately, although selling is not that easy.
I will probably have a look at forum member AlpineM3E92 car when I have sold mine. I agree that the M3 I was offered was at least 15k overpriced. I think they probably traded it for around 90k. They also offered me a demo E90 for 130k, so I don't understand how they can ask for 115k for an 07.
Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

You're probably right about that trade price mate. Easy 10-20k on M3 trades. Another favourite is they will say if you buy it, they won't stooge you if you decide to trade it back to them at a later date.

The E90's are cheaper than the coupes BTW.

If you want to sell privately with little fuss, my suggestion is to advertise it a bit over the cash trade-in value and hold reasonably firm on your price. My last 2 cars sold in 1-2 weeks this way. You miss out on a couple grand compared to true market value, but it could take months and it's a buyers market at the moment. Then if you buy privately, you are more likely to get the better end of the deal, realtively speaking
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Golf

Quote:
I think TAAXED and AlpineM3E92 are or were selling. Whatever you pay if you buy stock you are sure to want to add more bling, exhaust, springs, wheels and all the great gear that makes it that much more spectacular when you walk up to drive it. Ive seen the specs on AlpineM3E92 a while ago and I don't think they come much better in manual, not sure about TAAXED if he is still selling be he also has a nice M3. A 2007/2008 is going to be out of warranty but it's incredible how much data is stored in the key. Whatever you buy I'd have it checked out at a dealership then you'll be fine. It takes nothing to spend 20K on a few essentials so if you get them with the car you buy all the better
Thanks for mentioning me!

I sold mine to a dealer not too long ago now, I couldn't be bothered waiting anymore. Just to let you know mine was a 07 manual, all options, full bmw service history, was under bmw warranty for another 2 years and also has free servicing for another 2 years (this is not meant to be transferable, technically it's not but who's to say that I can't just tell them a 'friend' of mine is bringing it in haha)

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...neSize:Min,Max

That's actually the ad for my car, I'm not sure if it's still available or not but I would definitely recommend it and it's very well priced.

PM me if you want more information on the car.

I've also just recently put a deposit down on another M3 here in Singapore that should be clearing customs next week...it's frozen grey with the comp pack
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Mate, what's an M3 in singapore, 250k?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

There's basically 3 ways of buying an M3 here being the first owner in Singapore.

Firstly, you can go through the official importer, expect to pay at least $420K SGD

Secondly, you can "parallel" import one from the UK, this will cost $320K SGD (this is all before options.

Thirdly, you can do a "used car import", whereby, the car must be less than 3 years old from the UK. I'm paying roughly $50k SGD less than the parallel imported price for a car with 1,000kms on it.

The main differences would be that UK cars generally have a lower spec, not all of them come with front parking sensors and the speedo has Km/h and Mph. Although UK cars have the digital read out in either format!

btw, 1 AUD is roughly 1.31 SGD now
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #17
sarddenso
Private First Class
Rep

wow, that's steep!

Did you go to check out that special M division showroom in Singapore?

Anywhere nice to take the car there? Tracks?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I am close to finalising the sale of my car so if you know of a good E92 M3
for sale let me know. I will try and organise to look at AlpineM3E92 in the next
week or so. I have seen a few on carsales so I am only asking for ones that are not listed there. I am not too fussy on colour at this stage and will judge each car on its merits. My budget is around 100-110k.
Thanks
Gerry
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
euG3
Troller
Australia
Rep
Drives: Carless

Quote:
Hey Dave, I'm not sure if you're referring to a prepurchase inspection by a dealership here?

I thought dealerships wouldn't do this ie. Verify the data for you etc I'd be happy if there was such a service!
      01-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by euG3 View Post
Hey Dave, I'm not sure if you're referring to a prepurchase inspection by a dealership here?

I thought dealerships wouldn't do this ie. Verify the data for you etc I'd be happy if there was such a service!
Iv'e done it before but I guess it depends on the relationship with the dealer. If they can't offer you a car for sale they may as well hope they will get the servicing. I went back to the dealership where the car was originally sold and they were happy to oblige.
Since then we have purchased 2 cars from the same dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #21
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarddenso View Post
wow, that's steep!

Did you go to check out that special M division showroom in Singapore?

Anywhere nice to take the car there? Tracks?
I haven't checked out the M dealership yet, tbh I was never going to spend the sort of money they want for a m3 so I didn't bother.

Usually people here take their cars to the Sepang F1 track in Malaysia, I think it's about a 3-4 hour drive from Singapore. I've seen the freeway they have running up the middle of Malaysia before too and it looks awesome for high speed runs!

There's also another track much closer by called Pasir Gudang but I don't think the standard is anything like Sepang.
2002 BMW e46 M3 SMG (Titanium Silver/Black) - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #22
sarddenso
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAAXED View Post

Usually people here take their cars to the Sepang F1 track in Malaysia, I think it's about a 3-4 hour drive from Singapore. I've seen the freeway they have running up the middle of Malaysia before too and it looks awesome for high speed runs!

There's also another track much closer by called Pasir Gudang but I don't think the standard is anything like Sepang.
That's pretty awesome that you can go out to a track that is on the current f1 tour!!
Appreciate 0