BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

03-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
jamesrM3
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 AW M3

Portland Area Dealer/shop Recommendations

Hello all,

Been searching around for M3s for the past 4-5 months and i've finally purchased one! There really wasn't a lot for sale in the Portland/Seattle area so purchased one from a dealership in SoCal for what I believe is an excellent deal. It's arriving this weekend and I absolutely can't wait! It's a 2009 AW with carbon roof, black interior, carbon trim, fully loaded minus the parking sensors.

I was wondering, is there a particular dealership that you guys figure to be better or have great experience with as far as Kuni or BMW Portland regarding service/maintenance? Also as a follow-up, for any mods, any particular place that you guys trust to have your car mods done at?

I plan on getting it tinted and having a clear bra put on asap but am starting to look into exhausts, etc that i don't trust myself to do lol so any shop recommendations would be great. Thanks for the help!

-James
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Congrats on the new car!

All my warranty work has been done at Kuni, but that's mostly due to its proximity to my house and that it's easier to get a loaner at Kuni. Portland had a good deal of turnover lately due to the Lithia acquisition, and it's harder to get into due to parking limits.

As far as mods, I would PM mineo77.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Yeah there were never any good ones in Oregon and I had to goto Washington twice. I would pass on Kuni. Yesterday was my last time going to that dealer. They just can't offer me anything anymore. Pretty much when I goto to a dealer and they have nothing or cannot offer me anything I move on.

I would recommend online for parts/accessories and maybe Rasmussen for service. BMW of Salem is another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond1115 View Post
Hello all,

Been searching around for M3s for the past 4-5 months and i've finally purchased one! There really wasn't a lot for sale in the Portland/Seattle area so purchased one from a dealership in SoCal for what I believe is an excellent deal. It's arriving this weekend and I absolutely can't wait! It's a 2009 AW with carbon roof, black interior, carbon trim, fully loaded minus the parking sensors.

I was wondering, is there a particular dealership that you guys figure to be better or have great experience with as far as Kuni or BMW Portland regarding service/maintenance? Also as a follow-up, for any mods, any particular place that you guys trust to have your car mods done at?

I plan on getting it tinted and having a clear bra put on asap but am starting to look into exhausts, etc that i don't trust myself to do lol so any shop recommendations would be great. Thanks for the help!

-James
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
jamesrM3
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 AW M3

Thanks for the insight guys, it's much appreciated. I just got my car today and couldn't be happier with the purchase!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Come downtown! You'll be impressed with MINI gone from our space.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
jwarner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Alpine White ZCP

I've had a lot of work done on my 2011 E92 by Futrell Autowerks in Beaverton. Dean Futrell's a great guy and his guys do great work.

He's a Dinan dealer and I bought my exhaust from him and had him install it, reflash the ECU, install an UD pulley, etc.

http://www.futrellautowerks.com/

He is more focused on the Audi space, so I'm not sure I'd go to him for a full engine tear down or anything, but for relatively simple mechanical stuff like most typical modifications, he does great work.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

isnt alexshop also somewhere close to portland?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
isnt alexshop also somewhere close to portland?
Alex shop is in the Bay area I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

I prefer Kuni. Their sales staff (Davie Sprigg) and sales manager (Dave) has been good to me. They were easy to work with and very competitive with regards to pricing on my 2010 M3 Euro delivery. Their service has also been very accommodating. (just a few oil changes) I was also reimbursed for the break in service which was done in Germany. Oh, they have won multiple “Center of Excellence” awards.
Ras/Portland BMW has been a mess since Lithia bought them out. I have heard so many rumors of people leaving or being fired……bottom line there has been a bit of turn over. The Service Advisor I used has moved on and their sales staff was unwilling to work with me. Granted this was before the buy out. They used to be the place to go but I don’t thing that is the case any longer.
I would recommend AR Auto Service for post warranty and aftermarket modifications.
Anyway, that has been my experience……..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #10
Ka0tiK
Straggling Proletarian
Rep
Drives: Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
I prefer Kuni. Their sales staff (Davie Sprigg) and sales manager (Dave) has been good to me. They were easy to work with and very competitive with regards to pricing on my 2010 M3 Euro delivery. Their service has also been very accommodating...
+1

Great guys. I've purchased many BMWs through them. Never once had a problem. OP, as for the mods, IMO would take the car down to Cali. I haven't heard any place in the PDX region boasts BMW modifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrM3 View Post
Hello all,

Rasmussen (Portland BMW) was quite good before the ownership change last year, but there are signs things may be slipping a bit. I'll reserve judgement until I've had more visits there. Still some great guys like Ty and Pete Perez there. Working downtown, it's convenient for me, and it's right on the Max line.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #12
Pizzatt
Om Nom Nom
Rep
Drives: 18' F80

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
My entire car buying experience with Kuni was horrendous. I would never purchase another vehicle from them. It is interesting that they were awarded the Center Excellence award despite the negative rating I gave them on the survey. But then again, it is all about making the sales numbers. I think purchasing out of state like you did is the way to go.

I had my car serviced at Kuni for the 1200 mile service however someone who sets up an appointment with them may need to clearly state the specific "1200 mile service" if not you will be lectured that the car does not need an oil change until 15k miles. The service advisor looked puzzled after I pointed out that the vehicle they will be servicing is an M3. The SA had to recheck their service library.

I was planning to order my exhaust online and have a local shop install it for a competitive price that I learned from another forum member.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

+1 for another terrible experience at Kuni.

Good ole Davie Sprigg tried to screw me, royal. We had a deal for an allocation order. After 6 weeks of trying to get confirmation of my build number, he tells me they couldn't get the order in for the prior month and if I wanted to continue with the order they couldn't honor our deal and I would need to pay an extra $1,500. To add insult to injury, they wouldn't refund my $1,000 deposit and he conveniently stopped responding to my emails. Thankfully Amex is always on your side and I got my deposit through a chargeback. Complete d-bag operation. Needless to say I'm never doing business with them again.

Not to mention, the sales people aren't willing to negotiate at all and act like they're doing the customer a favor by selling you a car at close to MSRP. Avoid at all costs.

While I too have heard Rasmussen has changed, people like Ty and Pete are awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend both of them. Great customer service!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
advantyper79
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S

I would check out Matrix, Jeremy is great guy and owner of the shop. He done many upgrade and work on my Porsche and many of my friends car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Wow. It is clear that some people have had good experiences with certain dealerships and others have had very poor. It appears neather one can consistently deliver a good experience to every customer. My advice would be to make your face known. Try to get to know the ca, sa and even some of the techs on a first name basis. I think this is the difference. If you can't make that connection at one place move to another.
OP Sorry we can't give you a definite answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #16
///Lyubm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Hey guys, rather then starting new thread, any recommendations where to install electronic performance steering wheel v2 in Portland area? after looking at DYI instructions it seems doable but figured maybe someone knows some good shop that can do it for reasonable fee.

On topic, i had not so good experience at Kuni, but Rasmussen has been good to me, serviced my e46 m3 at Rasmussen for 6 years. Haven't been there since ownership change though.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Lyubm View Post
Hey guys, rather then starting new thread, any recommendations where to install electronic performance steering wheel v2 in Portland area?
Portland BMW can do it, for sure, but may be spendy. Might give Boyd Motor Werks a call and see if they've one one. They did my LED tails when that was a new conversion.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
///Lyubm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Portland BMW can do it, for sure, but may be spendy. Might give Boyd Motor Werks a call and see if they've one one. They did my LED tails when that was a new conversion.
Kuni quoted me $217 for performance steering wheel install, will call Portland BMW on monday.
Should be an hour of work tops for a technician?
Appreciate 0