BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

EXXEL Distributions

08-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #287
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutodeuce View Post
12c may be faster, but it's too much like a GTR, stick with the Porsche.
BTW, it seems that the latest EVO review of the new GT3 found GT3 faster than 12c on the track, and 12c faster on roads. It's hard to believe, but they usually know their stuff. So if that's true, Jay should be fine. Of course, there is always a chance of Ahsan buying GT3RS. As someone said, it's escalating
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #288
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

4 of us Montreal folks have booked CMP days Friday Sept 27th.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #289
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutodeuce View Post
12c may be faster, but it's too much like a GTR, stick with the Porsche.
I've driven both on a race track. They are not the same nor are they even similar.

GTR feels heavy, actually is heavy. 12C is/feels light. Both are easy to drive.

would not bother with either.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #290
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
4 of us Montreal folks have booked CMP days Friday Sept 27th.
The Chumpcar race is September 28-29. We may come up for the 27th if we can get our car sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #291
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Awesome track day at mosport today. Broke into 1:37s in couple of sessions, despite running a frankenstein mix of new, old and rotated PSS tires, so I'm happy

Tried no brakes in Corner 4 (but full lift before it) several times - did not crash but there was so much sliding that marshal grabbed yellow flag while watching me fight the drift. Maybe M3 is not meant to do it after all.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #292
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
Awesome track day at mosport today. Broke into 1:37s in couple of sessions, despite running a frankenstein mix of new, old and rotated PSS tires, so I'm happy

Tried no brakes in Corner 4 (but full lift before it) several times - did not crash but there was so much sliding that marshal grabbed yellow flag while watching me fight the drift. Maybe M3 is not meant to do it after all.
1:37 @ the DDT! Great time for sure - looking forward to seeing the vid.

What was with your tires? I thought the rest were all good aside from the one that was chunking? Weren't they pretty new? Sounds like you had fun day. Just a tip, you shouldn't be looking at marshals if you are trying to save the car. Must have been quite the drift if you had the time to do that!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #293
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post

What was with your tires? I thought the rest were all good aside from the one that was chunking? Weren't they pretty new? Sounds like you had fun day. Just a tip, you shouldn't be looking at marshals if you are trying to save the car. Must have been quite the drift if you had the time to do that!
I think Trillium was running on the GP Track yesterday?
      08-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #294
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

And IIRC, 1:37 on the GP is amazing!
      08-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #295
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Well, I had one full-thread tire and one 25% thread tire at the front, and two back tires flipped around. I just do not want to buy tires till I get to SF. It was not too bad, actually, except some pull sideways under braking.

As for looking at the marshal - the booth is right behind the corner 4 apex, so that's why I saw him. I was not really saving the car as much as trying to balance understeer vs. oversteer, with fronts and rears harmonizing from turnin to apex. PSS get really loud at higher slip angles, especially on those new pavement patches. Once I'll look at telemetry I'll probably know if that was just my lack of talent or if I really was asking the car for more grip that it has.

Video is coming too!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #296
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Just out of curiosity, what is considered a good time for the GP track? I was at Mosport on Monday for the Apex event. 2nd time tracking in my life. used the Go Pro while I was there so was able to figure out several of my lap times.
      08-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #297
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is considered a good time for the GP track? I was at Mosport on Monday for the Apex event. 2nd time tracking in my life. used the Go Pro while I was there so was able to figure out several of my lap times.
Anything under a 1.40 is considered good for am E9X on stock street tires with mid 130's being considered very fast on a dedicated track day setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #298
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Does Apex run events often? I tried contacting mosport about any public lapping days or even renting the track personally and they said contact Apex. Apex has ignored me (been 5 days). What does Apex do & how much does it cost? Their site says they do driver development, but I don't want that or their prices.
      08-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #299
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
Does Apex run events often? I tried contacting mosport about any public lapping days or even renting the track personally and they said contact Apex. Apex has ignored me (been 5 days). What does Apex do & how much does it cost? Their site says they do driver development, but I don't want that or their prices.
Apex runs lapping days @ Mosport usually a day or two a month. Their schedule should be on the website.

Mosport GP days are fairly scarce this year as they seem to be doing a lot more corporate stuff. We inquired about days early this year but they were already sold out.

Calabogie is a bit of a hike compared to Mosport but its a lot more fun. There is also a couple of days at the Glen coming up in september.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #300
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Apex runs lapping days @ Mosport usually a day or two a month. Their schedule should be on the website.

Mosport GP days are fairly scarce this year as they seem to be doing a lot more corporate stuff. We inquired about days early this year but they were already sold out.

Calabogie is a bit of a hike compared to Mosport but its a lot more fun. There is also a couple of days at the Glen coming up in september.
TY for the info, much obliged. Yeah I hear Calabogie is the place to be, going to try and make the trip out there for the september 5th one. I wanted to do a day in late august, but there doesn't seem to be any/I left it to late T_T

Glen is way too far for me, maybe next year I'll make a little getaway out of it. I hear that's a great track too.
      08-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #301
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
TY for the info, much obliged. Yeah I hear Calabogie is the place to be, going to try and make the trip out there for the september 5th one. I wanted to do a day in late august, but there doesn't seem to be any/I left it to late T_T

Glen is way too far for me, maybe next year I'll make a little getaway out of it. I hear that's a great track too.
Cool - would be good to see you out at Calabogie! Going to be a good turnout! The glen is a blast - it really just a few hours away, but making a trip out of it is a great idea.

For Mosport, Engineered Automotive also has a few days left this year as well. Tomorrow and another day mid September I believe. Pfaff may also have a few days as well so may be worth looking in to.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #302
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Cool - would be good to see you out at Calabogie! Going to be a good turnout! The glen is a blast - it really just a few hours away, but making a trip out of it is a great idea.

For Mosport, Engineered Automotive also has a few days left this year as well. Tomorrow and another day mid September I believe. Pfaff may also have a few days as well so may be worth looking in to.
Yeah I think I left it way too late for tomorrow's run @ mosport. The sept 12 might be doable, will have to see what my schedules like, thanks for the tips!
      08-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #303
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
We've gotten a large number of requests to run at CMP over the next few weeks. Please remember that these days are for intermediate and experienced drivers. It's ok if you've never been to CMP before, but you should have recent/relevant track experience. It's not uncommon for us to be on the track will GT3 Cup cars, and other ridiculously fast cars, so it's important that you have experience managing track 'traffic'. Point-bys are required for passing, but you can get black flagged (and sent home), if you consistently hold up traffic.

Also, helmets, and long pants are an absolute must - there are no exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #304
cornutodeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: The Deux

We were at Mosport yesterday, great day.

Link to one of the Eccentrics lap in a 997 TT

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #305
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

On Thursday there was an octogenarian doing 1.30 flat in his 997 TT which he tells everybody is 100 % stock
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #306
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
On Thursday there was an octogenarian doing 1.30 flat in his 997 TT which he tells everybody is 100 % stock
Well, other than the Shelbourne Fuel additives he dumps into the tank and Michelin Slicks in the wheel wells.

Great day with EA on the track. Can't wait for the next one.

DrC
      08-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #307
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
Well, other than the Shelbourne Fuel additives he dumps into the tank and Michelin Slicks in the wheel wells.

Great day with EA on the track. Can't wait for the next one.

DrC
Yes it was a great day!I got out in the F Type for a bit and was impressed with the power as I was seeing a bit over 240 before the crest and able to pull a bit on a couple of Z06's up the straight.The car is quite easy to drive quick but is quite soft & balanced a little too much to understeer for real serious track use.But it sure sounds great and looks great while doing it!

Also got a session in a GT3RS and now I am really screwed as far as my next track car
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #308
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Yes it was a great day!I got out in the F Type for a bit and was impressed with the power as I was seeing a bit over 240 before the crest and able to pull a bit on a couple of Z06's up the straight.The car is quite easy to drive quick but is quite soft & balanced a little too much to understeer for real serious track use.But it sure sounds great and looks great while doing it!

Also got a session in a GT3RS and now I am really screwed as far as my next track car
Wow, you went out in Billy's car? Yeah, you're ruined now.