BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
araaadi
M3OW
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 - DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Reduced power/C.E.L/Increased Emissions

So over last weekend my car went into limp mode while on a road trip, the check engine light came on, a long with a reduced power warning, and increased emission warning. Had to get my car towed back to my dealer, me and my service advisor believed it was the throttle body actuator. After a few days with my car they're telling me the engine was misfiring in bay 2 and they don't believe it's the throttle body actuator. They got my car to run without throwing any codes by removing my o2 sensors and cleaning them up and putting it back on the car. The problem is that, if the issue reoccurs they believe I need new o2 sensors, or it could be a wiring harness.

I am having a difficult time with the dealership because as of now, my car is running and the bill is under $500 but they are saying my aftermarket extended warranty is not covering any of the fix, and if it turns out to be my throttle body actuator or o2 sensors, that will not be covered either. This is extremely frustrating because I bought after market warranty from the bmw dealership for $5k being told it covers everything besides the navigation system. Currently waiting to hear back if they will take the hit and honor what i was sold and cover the cost of the problem (and any further issues regarding o2 sensor or throttle body). If not I will be looking to get a refund on the warranty minus the cost of fixing my leaking dct a few months ago.

Does anyone have any advice that have been through a similar situation? I am being very firm with not picking up my car until this is sorted because I do feel very ripped off by the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by araaadi View Post
So over last weekend my car went into limp mode while on a road trip, the check engine light came on, a long with a reduced power warning, and increased emission warning. Had to get my car towed back to my dealer, me and my service advisor believed it was the throttle body actuator. After a few days with my car they're telling me the engine was misfiring in bay 2 and they don't believe it's the throttle body actuator. They got my car to run without throwing any codes by removing my o2 sensors and cleaning them up and putting it back on the car. The problem is that, if the issue reoccurs they believe I need new o2 sensors, or it could be a wiring harness.

I am having a difficult time with the dealership because as of now, my car is running and the bill is under $500 but they are saying my aftermarket extended warranty is not covering any of the fix, and if it turns out to be my throttle body actuator or o2 sensors, that will not be covered either. This is extremely frustrating because I bought after market warranty from the bmw dealership for $5k being told it covers everything besides the navigation system. Currently waiting to hear back if they will take the hit and honor what i was sold and cover the cost of the problem (and any further issues regarding o2 sensor or throttle body). If not I will be looking to get a refund on the warranty minus the cost of fixing my leaking dct a few months ago.

Does anyone have any advice that have been through a similar situation? I am being very firm with not picking up my car until this is sorted because I do feel very ripped off by the warranty.
Check the fine print in your contract... Surely they would cover actuators! Even my non-factory aftermarket warranty for $2700 covers actuators... That's insane...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by araaadi View Post

How would an extended BMW warranty not cover repairs, what am I missing, isn't that a manufacturer warranty if it was bought at the dealership. I thought the extended warranty is the same as the factory warranty prolonged ?? . Are you saying each stealership insurance is different ? i am confused.

IIAP3x : come back on my thread and answer my last question if you will~
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:14 AM   #4
WiFiGuy
Geeky Pedels
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 6MT

Which level of extended warranty did you purchase? There are three. Silver Gold and Platinum to my knowledge that are OEM
Appreciate 0