BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

BPM

10-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Cool Future BMW Compacts - F.A.S.T. (Family Activity Sports Tourer)

Featured on BIMMERPOST HOMEPAGE.

A new Concept BMW are working on for the sub-1er family The new BMW Compact.
It is originally known as is it has been discussed here a member of the : Compactive Sports Tourer portfolio under design and discussion in Munich. Which so far includes the BMW Family Activity Sports Tourer , BMW Compactive Sports Tourer and the 3er based Advanced Activity Sports Tourer.

The illustration is an early representation but I believe it is still being fine tuned in certain areas. When I talked about the "Y" or "K" this could become a spin-off model of the same platform.

In this illustration it shows some ideas that are coming in future BMW's in fact when the MegaCity Vehicle is launched you will see the design transition filter through to the series models. It will give BMW possibly the most modern and current looking cars on the market.

What would you say If I told you that without the smaller kidney grille and include larger taller and thinner brake intakes that fold with the sheet metal - Vision Efficient Dynamics style. That this is very close to the front end of the new BMW X5?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW e92

This is a coupe or a 4 door sans handles in the back like ZDX?

what a car...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

That concept looks nice and aggressive, but it appears really big to slot under the 1-series. I would have guessed that this is the X4, or at least a proposed X2.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
why not Call X4?
I think it is a design that looks like none of the current models.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

i like where this is going- a scaled down version of the X6, with 2 doors, or maybe even suicide doors. how do you guys feel about a removable top like the wragler?
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I can't imagine getting in and out of the back seats being fun
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Carstello
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 Convertible

That car looks near to what i see – 13 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

The X4 might get recessed rear door handles it is one idea being determined and evaluated because of the smaller and more compacter proportions of the X4 compared to the X6 it is much lower so the additional rear quarter light at the rear of the glasshouse is not entirely feasible due to the lower roof line.

X4 will be a new concept in a new segment in the same way as the X6 has done.

The litmus test for the compact relies on how well the BMW Compact city car will do when it takes to the market.
It's a totally alien concept but the car will work because it takes a conventional city hatch and turns it on it's head.
Identifiable as a BMW with a very unique character line that really enhances this car over it's competitors it is not a conventional hatch like the Audi A1. It's aims are to be modern , current and ooze the sporting sophistication recognised by a BMW. If the Compact is well received... expect more variants based on the concept.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 10-19-2010 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
This looks hot! Damn, I might have more than two BMWs in the driveway with the product onslaught coming from Munich.
      10-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
tonmonde
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22

needs to stop the suv/sav madness...
      10-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

...the D-pillar has design cues of mini.....
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
Haides
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bimmer

scott,is there any information about 3gt 1gt concepts...or x4 ,shootingbrake and this new idea are the same but with different names?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Understanding the latest strategy of BMW.

The following is a breakdown of concepts being investigated and initiated.
The majority of these concepts are aimed at three important sectors.
These segments are classed as the UKL-Sub Compact , Compact and Premium Entry. It is these three segments that will showcase exceptional growth throughout this decade.
Research has proved that by interviewing present and tomorrows drivers has shown that customers are looking for more use from their cars and more exciting concepts that are far from conventional.

Concepts investigated by BMW that can be made a reality by sharing cost effective modular platforms and technology across a whole family.
Compact determines the 1er matrix and Premium Entry determines the 3er model matrix.

Megacity Vehicle
The name given to BMW's four seater electric vehicle. A head of it's time in concept , design , function , technology and construction.
Should the car be highly successful , BMW will extend the project with a cumbustion engine possibly from the Motorrad division. If embraced ,BMW want to add a small sports car using the same idea as the MCV.

UKL Sub-Compact
The name given to the UKL class which will see BMW introduce a small stylish city car using Front wheel drive, sharing a platform with the next generation MINI.

Progressive Activity Sedan (Gran Turismo)
5er GT , 3er GT approved for production. 1er under evaluation.
3er GT will be based upon the extended 3er Li platform for China, but the look is lower and sleeker than the 5er Gran Turismo, more like a fastback. The twin hatch will not be carried over.

Gran Coupe
Plans extend to the 6er Gran Coupe Concept becoming a production reality. but looking at the concept for both the 1er and 3er. Especially since a 1er sedan is not considered.

Shooting Brake
A design concept has been produced , based on the 6er Gran Coupe with four doors and typical "Shooting Brake" Split tailgate. Seen as a more premium alternative to a Touring , in which space is not a requirement.
A possibility for the 3er. and a unique interpretation of the classic 2002 Touring being considered again with 2drs.
In the scheme of things the Shooting Brakes are lower in height compared to the traditional Touring variant.

Sports Tourer
Family Activity Sports Tourer aims for the sub-1er , BMW Compact which is FWD/4WD.
Compactive Sports Tourer is based on the 1er and is seen as a larger hatch/wagon with space for five.
Advanced Activity Sports Tourer is based on the 3er and is a much higher riding Touring model with space for five plus two extra rear seats for seven.
In the height scale between the Shooting Brake and Touring models - The order is Shooting Brake , Touring and then Sports Tourer.

Sport Activity Coupe
Is where the original X-Coupe morphed into the highly successful X6. So far
X4 is only planned but a similar concept will be introduced with the MINI brand although it wont be as identifiable as the BMW Sport Activity Coupe's.

"Y" or "K"
Half "Z" , Half "X" hybrid - A sporty coupe with a commanding driving position and xDrive AWD. A modern BMW interpretation of the X-Coupe concept.
A small 2dr Sport Activity Vehicle based on the Y. is a possibility.
The term K is to identify half "X" , Based on the 1er , likely to spawn a possible MINI variant.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 10-19-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The X4 might get recessed rear door handles it is one idea being determined and evaluated because of the smaller and more compacter proportions of the X4 compared to the X6 it is much lower so the additional rear quarter light at the rear of the glasshouse is not entirely feasible due to the lower roof line.

X4 will be a new concept in a new segment in the same way as the X6 has done.

The litmus test for the compact relies on how well the BMW Compact city car will do when it takes to the market.
It's a totally alien concept but the car will work because it takes a conventional city hatch and turns it on it's head.
Identifiable as a BMW with a very unique character line that really enhances this car over it's competitors it is not a conventional hatch like the Audi A1. It's aims are to be modern , current and ooze the sporting sophistication recognised by a BMW. If the Compact is well received... expect more variants based on the concept.
I think X5 ought to be bigger model; maybe around 5 inches longer for leg room. Trust me, 5 inches longer is quite a bit. Hence, X4 will fit in between X3 and X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
M3V10
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F20M

Aggressive!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 01:45 AM   #16
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Lots of great info. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Understanding the latest strategy of BMW.

The following is a breakdown of concepts being investigated and initiated.
The majority of these concepts are aimed at three important sectors.
These segments are classed as the UKL-Sub Compact , Compact and Premium Entry. It is these three segments that will showcase exceptional growth throughout this decade.
Research has proved that by interviewing present and tomorrows drivers has shown that customers are looking for more use from their cars and more exciting concepts that are far from conventional.

Concepts investigated by BMW that can be made a reality by sharing cost effective modular platforms and technology across a whole family.
Compact determines the 1er matrix and Premium Entry determines the 3er model matrix.

Megacity Vehicle
The name given to BMW's four seater electric vehicle. A head of it's time in concept , design , function , technology and construction.
Should the car be highly successful , BMW will extend the project with a cumbustion engine possibly from the Motorrad division. If embraced ,BMW want to add a small sports car using the same idea as the MCV.

UKL Sub-Compact
The name given to the UKL class which will see BMW introduce a small stylish city car using Front wheel drive, sharing a platform with the next generation MINI.

Progressive Activity Sedan (Gran Turismo)
5er GT , 3er GT approved for production. 1er under evaluation.
3er GT will be based upon the extended 3er Li platform for China, but the look is lower and sleeker than the 5er Gran Turismo, more like a fastback. The twin hatch will not be carried over.

Gran Coupe
Plans extend to the 6er Gran Coupe Concept becoming a production reality. but looking at the concept for both the 1er and 3er. Especially since a 1er sedan is not considered.

Shooting Brake
A design concept has been produced , based on the 6er Gran Coupe with four doors and typical "Shooting Brake" Split tailgate. Seen as a more premium alternative to a Touring , in which space is not a requirement.
A possibility for the 3er. and a unique interpretation of the classic 2002 Touring being considered again with 2drs.
In the scheme of things the Shooting Brakes are lower in height compared to the traditional Touring variant.

Sports Tourer
Family Activity Sports Tourer aims for the sub-1er , BMW Compact which is FWD/4WD.
Compactive Sports Tourer is based on the 1er and is seen as a larger hatch/wagon with space for five.
Advanced Activity Sports Tourer is based on the 3er and is a much higher riding Touring model with space for five plus two extra rear seats for seven.
In the height scale between the Shooting Brake and Touring models - The order is Shooting Brake , Touring and then Sports Tourer.

Sport Activity Coupe
Is where the original X-Coupe morphed into the highly successful X6. So far
X4 is only planned but a similar concept will be introduced with the MINI brand although it wont be as identifiable as the BMW Sport Activity Coupe's.

"Y" or "K"
Half "Z" , Half "X" hybrid - A sporty coupe with a commanding driving position and xDrive AWD. A modern BMW interpretation of the X-Coupe concept.
A small 2dr Sport Activity Vehicle based on the Y. is a possibility.
The term K is to identify half "X" , Based on the 1er , likely to spawn a possible MINI variant.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 04:06 AM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

This two door SAV from BMW (K-series?) looks to be set to compete with Porsche's up coming two door Cajun (190 to 293 PS motors) SAV.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #18
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

^^I agree. majority of time the concept doesn't look like the production, except for the x6. it looks exactly like the concept.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #19
mynextbmw
Rep
Drives: X3 35

what about the new 3 in 2011. my wifes lease comes up end of 2011. dont want to switch brands or go for an old 3. might have to review the facelifted Merc.

hope there is math to retain the existing 3 users to get into the next 3
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #20
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

^ I can't say I disagree with that. There is a sense that they are losing direction being echoed by more than a few people.

OP thanks for the updated info.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #21
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

for the sub 1er and front wheel drive... if I want a front wheel drive car I'll get a Honda civic
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #22
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeh View Post
look, this is a sexy render.

but so was this one from July of 2009 (of a 3er GT, IIRC).

If BMW simply built cars that looked like their sexy renders, I think we would all be happy. Problem is, they don't.

Like I said back in 2009, if BMW built this car up here, I'd be all over it.
Now thats a NICE one.