BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

06-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
RedBarron
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

graduating with a BA in Economics?

Well Im graduating FSU, with a BS in Economics next month, and in all honesty I am not sure what I'm going to do with the degree. I have been looking at jobs, but honestly right now not a easy task.
I was thinking grad school would be a good bet for me, but I have yet to take the GMAT, so last month I applied at UCF to get a second major in Finance and got accepted. And the more I think about I am not sure if two degrees in such a closely related field is a good idea? Although it will only take me 2 semesters to complete a second degree, and in that time I can study or the GMAT and get a second degree, and then go to grad school.
I'm just at one of those points in life where im graduating and everything is uncertain and just trying to figure out what to do next. In all honesty I wish I would have done a more challenging/not as generic degree to get a better job in the end, but im too far along to do that. Feel free to comment with your opinion. I don't have the highest GPA in the world I have a 3.0-.1. I never really applied my self and I do regret it.

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarron View Post
Well Im graduating FSU, with a BS in Economics, and in all honesty I am not sure what I'm going to do with the degree. I have been looking at jobs, but honestly right now not a easy task.
I was thinking grad school would be a good bet for me, but I have yet to take the GMAT, so last month I applied at UCF to get a second major in Finance and got accepted. And the more I think about I am not sure if two degrees in such a closely related field is a good idea? Although it will only take me 2 semesters to complete a second degree, and in that time I can study or the GMAT and get a second degree, and then go to grad school.
I'm just at one of those points in life where im graduating and everything is uncertain and just trying to figure out what to do next. In all honesty I wish I would have done a more challenging/not as generic degree to get a better job in the end, but im too far along to do that. Feel free to comment with your opinion.
Have you considered Accounting? Then getting your CPA?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
RedBarron
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

I have taken a few accounting classes and for some reason I like Finance more. I don't think I could do accounting. Maybe it was my teachers but it seems like a very stressful job and very tedious? Every tells me it;s a wonderful and in demand job and really only bust your butt for 6 months out of the year.

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarron View Post
I have taken a few accounting classes and for some reason I like Finance more. I don't think I could do accounting. Maybe it was my teachers but it seems like a very stressful job and very tedious? Every tells me it;s a wonderful and in demand job and really only bust your butt for 6 months out of the year.
You only really bust your ass for "busy season" if you work for a public accounting firm. I'll be graduating in August with my Masters in Accounting from FSU (graduated with my BS in Accounting last May), so if you have any questions about the MAcc or Masters programs in general feel free to PM me.
      06-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

I was going to suggest accounting but if you like finance then get a job at an investment bank /trading . maybe you can get a job as an analys.t but dunno. if you can get a job as a trader that is the best bang for the buck imo but you need people skills for that. you get to goto all the best parties ect/restaurants ent clients. are you good at video games? learn poker.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Economics is the easy way out. Honestly, I was headed towards getting my Finance degree but it was simply to difficult at the time so I ended up with an Economics major, Business Admin. minor and I was pretty happy with that.

I ended up in commercial and residential financing but had I stuck it out with the finance degree I would have ended up as an investment banker/trader. Believe it or not, I have a broker for a large portion of my assets and I have my own side account I trade as well. I've beat him three years in a row now so maybe I should have stuck with my original goal. lol

Congrats to you though and I'd also suggest an accounting degree.

Last edited by TunedM2C; 06-03-2010 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

I wish more people would study BOTH econ and finance. It's amazing how many economists are ignorant of finance and vice versa. The knowledge divide is a source of many frictions. I foresee that, in the next decade, both fields will recognize this and move toward some sort of reconciliation. You'll be well positioned
      06-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
I wish more people would study BOTH econ and finance. It's amazing how many economists are ignorant of finance and vice versa. The knowledge divide is a source of many frictions. I foresee that, in the next decade, both fields will recognize this and move toward some sort of reconciliation. You'll be well positioned
This - economics and finance aren't really as closely related as some people might think. There is a reason that the economics degree is considered a BA and finance/accounting degrees are usually considered BS (no pun intended).

Don't both with a finance degree unless you're absolutely sure you want to end up working in an ibank. With accounting, you'll be qualified to work in both accounting fields (public) and corporate financial planning and analysis, depending on where you wanted to end up.

And don't bother with a masters until you have a better idea of where you may want to end up with your career. Master degree's with zero real experience to back them up are pretty much considered the same as a bachelor's. It won't be worth the money you'll spend.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

I have an Economics degree and work for an investment bank. I think the trick or at least from my experience is, to always facilitate an independent eduation outside of the classroom to leverage your knowledge. i.e....on my interview with my current employer..I was asked to draw delta profiles of options (OTM, ATM), caps, floors, real techinical type questions....2s10s bull flattening...what would be a good trade to put on....so on and so forth. This is stuff you don't really learn in economics, but due to my "independent education," I was able to answer them and subsequently was offered the position.

Economics is a great degree and gives you a broad knowledge of how markets work....although in recent times, seems like most of the stuff they feed you in college is BS (but thats a topic for a different conversation).

I myself am going to lever my econ degree with the CFA (currently enrolled in program), and an MBA down the road.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
And don't bother with a masters until you have a better idea of where you may want to end up with your career. Master degree's with zero real experience to back them up are pretty much considered the same as a bachelor's. It won't be worth the money you'll spend.
True for most Master's programs, but not for Accounting. Most states have switched their requirements for a CPA license from 120 hours to 150. So you have the choice of just taking 30 extra hours or enrolling in a Master's program. If you can get in, the Master's is a great thing to have on your resume. FL is one of those states, which is why I went straight into the Master's program after I graduated and did an internship.
      06-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
turbo6shooter
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Stockbroker. Perfect for Econ.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'd look into analyst type roles. My friend just landed a job with Amex as an analyst with a BS Econ degree from Morehouse college.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0