BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

02-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

What I dont understand is why these people did not just turn the car off. I had my pedal get stuck on my 91 5.0 with 600hp and I immediately shut the engine off and hit the e-brake. Talk about scary. Do these cars also have some lock out that you can not shut the car off while moving? If so that is another major saftey issue they have to fix. This is just sad that people are dying from some faulty engineered device that they knew about for a long time.
      02-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #24
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
To be honest though, Toyota isn't really at 100% fault here. The fault lies on their parts supplier of the pedal assembly for cars built in the USA. The cars built in Japan using parts supplied by Denso in Japan have no issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #25
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
As long as my LFA isn't affected...
      02-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #26
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

We've got a 99' Toyota in the family. A ridiculously tough and reliable camry.

I would agree that the newer Toyotas have fallen a bit in that regard.

I also think the media is going slightly overboard with the Toyota pedal accusations. Don't get me wrong, it's a serious problem and they should've taken action sooner but I think the numbers were something like 1 in 500,000 vehicles could be affected? And Ford and some other brands came in at 1 in 600,000.

Nonetheless, I recommend Hyundai nowadays for reliability and peace of mind. Some say Hyundai-Kia offers the longest warranty (5-year bumper and 10-year powertrain) because the cars are crap and they need the repairs. But they are becoming more profitable every year. Which would be very difficult if the cars were breaking down and needing to be brought in.

Last edited by Epik; 02-04-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #27
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
2007-2010 ES350 is being recalled just like the '07-'10 Camry since they share the same components. The '07 and '08s also have an additional floor mat recall along with the accelerator pedal assembly recall.

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2010...0/recalls.html
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2009...0/recalls.html
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2008...0/recalls.html
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2007...0/recalls.html
Wow I didn't know that. That's pretty crazy especially with Lexus (toyota's pursuit of perfection).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
What I dont understand is why these people did not just turn the car off. I had my pedal get stuck on my 91 5.0 with 600hp and I immediately shut the engine off and hit the e-brake. Talk about scary. Do these cars also have some lock out that you can not shut the car off while moving? If so that is another major saftey issue they have to fix. This is just sad that people are dying from some faulty engineered device that they knew about for a long time.
I've never tried that before. What happens when you just turn off the key? Does the car just rolls to a stop or does it flip??

On another note- there were reviews on Edmunds about the new Camry (came out in 07 or 08) about the gas pedal not being responsive. There were maybe 2 (maybe 3) out of 10 people complaining about it. When I drove my brother's 08 Camry I noticed it too. When you hit the gas to merge or pass it would lag for maybe half a second and then it picks up speed. It's pretty damn scary when you expect the car to go but it doesn't (especially when merging!!). My friend's Camry (08 or 09) doesn't do that and is actually pretty responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
To be honest though, Toyota isn't really at 100% fault here. The fault lies on their parts supplier of the pedal assembly for cars built in the USA. The cars built in Japan using parts supplied by Denso in Japan have no issues.
I don't buy that. Supplies are one thing but quality control should be the biggest issue here.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #29
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Lexus was cleared of being at fault in the case of the family that died. This is very old news already.

The only Lexus recall I have received thus far is for the replacement of floormats.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #30
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

what nobody wants to hear is that the main problem is not floormats or anything mechanical with an accelerator pedal.
Its drive by wire electronic throttle control.good chance Toyota will be ruined(reputation,repeat business) by this.Their arrogance in dodging blame is repulsive.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #31
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

OMG speechless. Another innocent taken away.

WOW it was a LOANER they got.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fourdoor View Post
what nobody wants to hear is that the main problem is not floormats or anything mechanical with an accelerator pedal.
Its drive by wire electronic throttle control.good chance Toyota will be ruined(reputation,repeat business) by this.Their arrogance in dodging blame is repulsive.
Yeah I heard from a mechanic that they switched to that. I don't know why since it's causing problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #33
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Extremely painful to hear about this.

No one wants to see these kinda things happen, but hopefully everyone out there can learn from this situaton.

My thoughts go out to the family that past away.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #34
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
Apparently they could not just turn it off when the throttle is down... its not wired the same as a bmw.
There is a video procedure showing you how to do this in a Toyota/Lexus (AUTO)..... put your foot on the brake, shift it into Neutral... the car will stop, turn off the engine.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #35
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

honestly i understand why some people in panic situation wouldn't think of put the car in neutral, etc like you guy said. you never know how certain individual reacts to emergency situation. some just stall and doesn't know what to do. this is exactly what happened to this poor family. RIP.

if I didn't read this thread, I honestly think that I may or may not know what to do if my pedal stuck either.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #36
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
honestly i understand why some people in panic situation wouldn't think of put the car in neutral, etc like you guy said. you never know how certain individual reacts to emergency situation. some just stall and doesn't know what to do. this is exactly what happened to this poor family. RIP.

if I didn't read this thread, I honestly think that I may or may not know what to do if my pedal stuck either.
I agree but it doesnt excuse Toyota/Lexus for their failure to realise that they had a problem a long time ago when alot of people had reposted the same problem. If it was any of my family I wouldnt stop until the company had collapsed.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #37
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Apparently they could not just turn it off when the throttle is down... its not wired the same as a bmw.

It turns off the same way BMWs with pushbutton start do. You have to hold the button down for 3 seconds. Just pressing it once while you're driving down the road won't turn the engine off.

I've tried this on my 135i, and at full throttle 3 seconds is a long time (especially if you're already on the highway and going faster than the speed limit). One thing I have found out about the programming in the BMW is that if you stab the button 3 or 4 times quickly (as if you're in a panic) it will kill the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There are two seperate issues being delt with.

The floormat issue ABSOLUTELY is real, and the recall was issued BEFORE the accident in question. The Lexus that crashed had an all weather mat that wasn't supposed to be in there in the first place, and it was installed backwards, and that's what the pedal got stuck on.

The second issue is with the gas pedal. There's a mechanisim that slows its return when you take your foot off of it, and that is sticking causing a slow return.

There's a whole lot of misinformation out there right now, and the media is doing a horrible job reporting the details of what's actually going on here. The number of actual confirmed gas pedal issues is extremely small compared to the number of cars the design is used in.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #39
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
There are two seperate issues being delt with.

The floormat issue ABSOLUTELY is real, and the recall was issued BEFORE the accident in question. The Lexus that crashed had an all weather mat that wasn't supposed to be in there in the first place, and it was installed backwards, and that's what the pedal got stuck on.

The second issue is with the gas pedal. There's a mechanisim that slows its return when you take your foot off of it, and that is sticking causing a slow return.

There's a whole lot of misinformation out there right now, and the media is doing a horrible job reporting the details of what's actually going on here. The number of actual confirmed gas pedal issues is extremely small compared to the number of cars the design is used in.

19 deaths and counting,more than all other auto manufacturers combined.
tell those families how small the number is.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #40
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I don't buy that. Supplies are one thing but quality control should be the biggest issue here.

Just like HPFP...BMW doesn't build them....just poor quality from the vendor they bought from.....lucky its just the fuel pump...not our brakes / gas pedals
      02-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #41
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
19 deaths and counting,more than all other auto manufacturers combined.
tell those families how small the number is.

Post some proof that there have been 19 deaths as a result of gas pedal failure.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #42
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Just like HPFP...BMW doesn't build them....just poor quality from the vendor they bought from.....lucky its just the fuel pump...not our brakes / gas pedals

Actually, you can't really blame the vendor for stuff like this. They're building the parts, but Toyota has a huge hand in the design and validation of them. This isn't a quality control issue where a supplier wasn't building the parts properly, it's a design issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #43
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Post some proof that there have been 19 deaths as a result of gas pedal failure.
US Congress to investigate Toyota after 19 deaths
The Times (UK) ^ | 01/29/10

Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 5:41:20 AM by TigerLikesRooster

January 29, 2010

The US House of Representatives has announced an investigation into Toyota’s faulty accelerator pedals and other problems that may have caused 19 deaths over the past decade and triggered a global recall of nearly eight million vehicles.

A month from now Toyota will face a cross-examination from the House Committee on Energy and Commerce over whether it responded soon enough to reports that accelerator pedals could become stuck.

The committee has sent letters to Toyota’s American subsidiary requesting documents and e-mails related to the matter.

Information has also been requested from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which alleges that “sudden acceleration” problems in Toyota cars have led to 19 fatalities.

More than one million British motorists who drive Toyota cars are still waiting to be told whether their vehicles are potentially dangerous after Japanese company.

anything else?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #44
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Times (UK) ^ | 01/29/10

Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 5:41:20 AM by TigerLikesRooster

January 29, 2010

The US House of Representatives has announced an investigation into Toyota’s faulty accelerator pedals and other problems that may have caused 19 deaths over the past decade and triggered a global recall of nearly eight million vehicles.

anything else?

Yeah, how about something REAL.

With 8 Million vehicles on the road, people are going to get killed in them over a 10 year period, and the cause is always going to be open for debate. There are certainly a couple of confirmed cases, but 19 isn't an official number by any real source with access to the evidence. Just because there was an investigation opened to determine the cause doesn't mean that there was actually a malfunction at the root of it.
Appreciate 0