BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

05-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Dieselino
Captain
Rep
Drives: 03 LSB M3 06 M coupe 08 M3 SG

BMW Carbonfiber Spoiler installation, 3M tape works perfect!

Sorry I didnt not take any pics but there is absolutly no reason if installed properly that 3M double sided automotive tape will not work. I believe many auto stores sell it and even home depot. Its the grey foam tape with the red backing, its no different then the tape used on the OEM M3 lip spoiler.

First off the spoiler weighs nothing, it is alot lighter then the stock spoiler so no serious glueing is required. I wanted to be able to remove the spoiler later if I needed to, and using betalink would probably be very difficult to remove without damaging the spoiler.

Anyways on to the install, remove the stock spoiler with fishing line. Once its off heat up the residual tape thats left with a heat gun and it should come off with a little work. I then used a wax and grease remover on the spoiler and the trunk to make sure the tape would stick on a clean surface for maximum contact.

As for the tape, I used a fine exacto knife and cut strips of tape to the appropriate width and put it around the entire edge of the spoiler. I didnt put it right on the edge of the spoiler, more like a 2 or 3mm away from the edge so when the spoiler is put down the tape isnt visible.

Once all done tape I test fitted the spoiler so I would know where to place it because once the tape sticks it will be very hard to remove without messing up the tape. To make things easier, once I had the spoiler all lined up I used some masking tape and tape areas around the spoiler as a guide so I could line up the spoiler in one shot.

I then peeled all the red backing off the tape and then heated up both the decklid and the spoiler with the heat gun so the tape would be tacky and be sticking to a warm clean surface for maximum intial adhesion.

I then placed the spoiler on using the masking tape I put down earlier as a guide and pressed the spoiler down good when I checked everything. the spoiler is on really good and is not going anywhere. Save yourselfs the messy headache of using glue and just use the tape. If you take your time and do it right it works perfect. That tape is used in many OEM applications and has been used for years and it holds on much heavier parts that take more abuse then an extremely light carbonfiber spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
UsurbrainM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Dieselino
Captain
Rep
Drives: 03 LSB M3 06 M coupe 08 M3 SG

Yes I know... didnt have time to take pics during the install
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
I just installed the type II CF performance spoiler on my e90 yesterday only using 3M tape. Worked perfectly and definitely will not fly off (even if you go 100+). I don't understand why everyone thinks you need to use permanent betalink.

I didn't even use a heat gun or anything. I just lined the spoiler with 3M a bit back from the edge, lined it up with the trunk, and stuck it on. No tape is visible.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Everyone's spoilers still attached?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Alex@ONEighty
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 CZP 6MT

3M Double sided tap is super strong and we use it for lips and smaller spoilers all the time. As long as the area where the spoiler is being applied is properly cleaned it should hold up very well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I just can't live with the fact that it doesn't matter how thin the tape is you can always see a slight gap. And I'm not new to this. I use tape on the splitters and the diffuser but not on the spoiler. What I do is grab a medical syringe cut the plastic tip off and use it to lay the glue nice and thin. Once you press on it it'll spread and practically no or very little comes out. Comes out great.

Just removed one I applied to my E90 using my technique and came off pretty easy with a string, sawing thru the betalink.
FYI betalink doesn't get rock solid it turns into a hard rubber when dry

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I just can't live with the fact that it doesn't matter how thin the tape is you can always see a slight gap. And I'm not new to this. I use tape on the splitters and the diffuser but not on the spoiler. What I do is grab a medical syringe cut the plastic tip off and use it to lay the glue nice and thin. Once you press on it it'll spread and practically no or very little comes out. Comes out great.

Just removed one I applied to my E90 using my technique and came off pretty easy with a string, sawing thru the betalink.
FYI betalink doesn't get rock solid it turns into a hard rubber when dry
My spoiler has virtually no gap at all. To the point where you can't see the tape at all. Usually this bothers me also, but it's not an issue at all with the Performance spoiler. It has a little lip that hides the tape (or a recess where the tape sits, I forget).
      06-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Just don't see why ppl are so afraid of using betalink

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

If you want an even stronger tape get some 3M VHB tape for painted surfaces off of amazon.
Appreciate 0