BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

INDustry distribution

11-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
yearningirish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi

my online job is killing me

Can you suggest some exercises I can do while working online? I'm getting fatter by the day, but I need to earn! I haven't been able to hit the gym and I feel so frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
JerryW235
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

One guy I worked with used a variation on the stand up desk / vari desk, it was an actual treadmill desk! It had a desktop at the front of a treadmill, with his laptop and phone on it so he could walk while he worked - telephone software support position. Don't know if he bought it, or made it himself, but either way it kept him moving.
      11-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
antych
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [5.00]
You're getting fatter from bad diet. You're not going to fix it with exercises.
Appreciate 3
GOLFFRR4991.50
Mr Tonka6266.00

11-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

diet
if you are interested I have been using this guy for a year now with amazing results. Also have a handful of friends are with him as well with great results

https://nicpalladino.com

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Bach: jbach@stevethomasbmw.com - Cell:805-807-1989
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy B PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

It kinda annoys me when people downplay exercise. Diet is important but exercise keeps your heart healthy. People never wanna be realistic these days with exercise. You clearly know that since changing jobs you haven't been able to exercise normally. Not sure why anyone would recommend better diet right away, as to that is the hardest thing to change. Therefore leading to losing motivation. Op if your essentially eating the same as before, I would do anything to get your body going. Lunging, air squats, jogging around the house, burpees, jumping jacks for only 5 mins at a time, once every two hours. Good luck I have 100% been in the same situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
antych
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [5.00]
The question wasn't about staying healthy. If you have a sedentary lifestyle it will definitely have detrimental effect on your health, but that has little to do with getting fat. People often conflate the two, because they don't understand biology and metabolism. It's food industry's mission to convince you that it's your fault for not exercising enough, so they can keep selling you processed junk loaded with cheap sugar.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6266.00

11-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT

You can lose a ton of weight by just dieting properly. Combination with cardio will help but diet start first.

I would recommend diet right away. For starters cutting out soda will help tremendously and doesn't take much will power. Exercising takes a big commitment and you have to do it regularly.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Cardio (the so called "exercise") is absolutely unnecessary for loosing/ maintaining healthy weight.
However, movement is paramount for preserving mobility and retaining/restoring your muscle mass should be your number one goal. So find time and try to lift, and lift heavy.
Sitting WILL kill you. You have to find a way to minimize time you spend behind a desk.
And one last thing that is routinely overlooked: sleep.
This is the anabolic phase of your daily cycle where your body finally has a chance to repair the damage you did to it during the remainder of your day.
Lack of sleep just may be the main reason you are gaining weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
F30dud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 340 msport

Fitness is my hobby (weight lift and boxing)

Diet diet first, im willing to bet you have no strategy on diet.

Also if you want a GOOD start, invest into a meal plan ( Google morelifitt), they will make you a plan to work according to your needs(weight loss, or gain whatever), and you will learn how to prioritize your meals and snacks, when or what to eat, etc.

Advice:

Drink nothing but water for the next 60 days (no alcohol, no soda) - im willing to bet you will loose 5-10lbs just by doing that, and sitting down.

Next cardio is definitely gonna help with weight loss, but you need to look into HIIT, High intensity interval training.

Most important thing is having MOTIVATION. or nothing will work

good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #10
IllSic_Design
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i AW/CR

Sign up for a health and fitness/wellness program... 7 minute workout plans(scientifically all that's needed) and diet/food guides; www.NowLifestyle.com
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
The question wasn't about staying healthy. If you have a sedentary lifestyle it will definitely have detrimental effect on your health, but that has little to do with getting fat. People often conflate the two, because they don't understand biology and metabolism. It's food industry's mission to convince you that it's your fault for not exercising enough, so they can keep selling you processed junk loaded with cheap sugar.
Yep. People always thing the whole 80% diet 20% exercise is a recipe for losing weight, but it's actually a recipe for good health.

The recipe for losing weight is 100% diet.

On top of that, eating processed garbage loaded with preservatives is just as bad, if not worse than overeating on it's own.
      12-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearningirish View Post
Can you suggest some exercises I can do while working online? I'm getting fatter by the day, but I need to earn! I haven't been able to hit the gym and I feel so frustrated.
Do you have room for a standup desk? Standing for a portion of the work day would be helpful and you could also get a balance board to stand on, which would engage your legs and core even more.

Also, i read that just by walking a steady pace for just 2 minutes an hour can cause your body to stay in a energy burning state rather than a fat storing state, which is caused by staying sedentary. Set an hourly outlook reminder and get up and walk around the house for 2 - 3 min.
      12-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Balance, a healthy diet, serious cardio training (running, cycling, fast walking) and some core and weight work will produce amazing results. In other words get off your arse and Just do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
P1et
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: my wife's cars

Can you describe to us what your average day looks like? I find it hard to believe you cannot find any time to get in some exercise.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
tdott
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

You will never have time if you donít make time.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #16
yearningirish
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm juggling with work, family, and errands every day. I take care of my parents and have to check on them. I have panic attacks that developed when my kid was in and out of the hospital last year. I'm having online therapy because I think I can't spend more time and money on a traditional therapist.

Actually, I used to think exercise was less important than dieting too, until recently when I did watch my weight because I know the consequences of working online and being sedentary. I don't eat pork anymore and I'm also into juicing. But when I weighed I gained more and more. I do some crunches but I know it's not enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #17
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Sounds like exercise would do wonders to getting you to feel better and give you more energy.

Proper diet is still needed to lose weight. No way around it. The average person does a 4-5 hour marathon. They will burn about 2500 calories in those 4 or 5 hours. They need to consume 1500 to 2000 calories to complete the marathon..... Are you seeing how exercise alone can't do it?

You certainly don't seem to have time to run a marathon everyday. It's unlikely that you're capable of completing a daily marathon. And even if you were, you'd have to consume most of the calories you're burning in order to complete it AND, you'd be twice as hungry the rest of the day and likely overeat.

Getting a handle on your diet is step 1: Download an app to your phone called MyFitnessPal. Sign up, enter all the data, tell it you want to lose a pound a week, log your food daily and stay at or under your calorie goal. It'll likely take 3 to 4 weeks before you see weight start to come off.

Step 2 is getting some type of regular exercise: Getting some type of exercise, preferably outdoors will do wonders for how you feel physically AND mentally. Even if it's a 5 min walk around the block 2 or 3 times a day. I guarantee that 3 times a day you can find/make room for a 5 min block of time to benefit your health. Take your phone with you and let it log your steps. Connect it to your MyFitnesPal app and it'll account for any extra calories you burn via walking.
      12-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #18
Lillian Terry
Rep
Drives: Lancer 2000

I feel you. I started to gain weight when I started to work on my computer.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:13 AM   #19
Straightcutter
Registered
Rep
Drives: elegant

You can try a healthy diet that suits you and of course exercise before you go to work.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:06 AM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

How about clicking the mouse as many times as you can...that should burn some calories
~CinnamonLeatherInterior~21"3Piece AlphaForgedWheels~BMSgoldTitaniumLugz~ 3dCarbonRearSpoiler~3dCarbonFrontLip~3dCarbonSideS kirtExtensions~DTMCarbonDiffuser~CarbonWrapPUFront Splitter~CarbonRearSplitters~PUrearDiffuserTray~
~CarbonEmblems~LedermanzWheel~ShadowlineKit~Double SlatGrills~WstyleCarbonRoofSpoiler~CarbonMirrorCov ers~MeisterschaftEVC90mmQuadExhaust~CarbonTipCover s~KWV1Coilovers~MStylePedals~G2GoldCalipers~35%Tin T~
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #21
yearningirish
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hello, everyone! Glad to see all your comments and suggestions. Reading them all now. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #22
Webby12
Rep
Drives: Red

I work behind a desk for 12 hours a day (7-7) as soon as I get out I hit the gym. 15-20 mins of cardio and then weight training. Losing an average of 3lbs a week.
Appreciate 0