BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

BPM

10-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #23
BastosM3
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 // E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
90% diet
I shot you a PM with the online coach I have been using for a year now and so have a bunch of my personal friends who have all experience amazing results.
Can you PM me too?
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR4991.50

10-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #24
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastosM3 View Post
Can you PM me too?
of course. ill do that now

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Bach: jbach@stevethomasbmw.com - Cell:805-807-1989
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy B PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #25
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearningirish View Post
Hi!

Thanks for all your great advice. It's inspiring to know that I'm not alone in this. I've also had cyber friends from anonymous chat rooms that tell me I'm plateauing and that I should incorporate new routines.

Has anyone tried cross fit training? How do you find it? Do you think it would help me lose weight fast?
New routines are great.

Losing weight faster is a result of eating less food. There is no magic bullet. Eating less = losing weight.

Changing routines wether it be exercise or eating routines, is a good thing. It keeps your body adaptive. For the most part, just keeping a balanced diet using different sources of nutrients is optimal for most everyone. Mixing up protein, carb, fat and other nutrient sources is exercise for you gut, where you absorb all the nutrients from your food.

When you see body builders eating 250g of chicken protein everyday it's because their body has likely gotten lazy when it comes to digesting chicken and they are only absorbing a smaller percentage of that 250g of protein. But it's difficult to consume huge amounts of protein from varied sources everyday. So most of them just eat huge quantities of one or two sources of protein.

Carbs are easier for your body to digest so mixing up the type of carb has less of an impact, but it does have an impact. Same thing for veggies. Broccoli is great, but having that as your sole source of veggie isn't ideal.

After losing all my weight i joked that i should write a book titled "The Secret to Weight Loss" It would be about 1 inch thick and the first page would read.... "Figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate. Consume less calories than your BMR. The following pages are for you to log your daily food and calorie intake to ensure you stay at or below your daily calorie goal."
      10-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #26
walterbrooke
Rep
Drives: BMW 7series

It's not so much about the type of exercise you are doing, but what you are eating. I use FitBit to track how many calories I am consuming. You need to be a at a calorie deficit every day. Also, no carbs. You don't even have to use the elliptical for these methods to work
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #27
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I feel like i have to chime in and debunk the no carbs comments. Why does everyone think carbs are the enemy? Carbs are the energy. You can live with out carbs, but most people are miserable doing so.

A long while back body builders used to keep high carb, high protein, low fat diets. The theory was, keep your body stocked full of energy to burn and your body won't metabolize your muscle. Keep in mind that these body builders were 5-8% body fat. So there isn't much fat to metabolize compared to muscle. But the muscle was difficult to come by and keeping the body full of quick energy to burn meant you could generally work out harder/longer while keeping the precious muscle safe from being metabolized for energy.

Then came along the mega high protein, minimal carb, low fat diets and carbs became the enemy. I personally think it's because carbs are generally foods that are high in calories and easy to consume large quantities of. Which comes back to calories in vs calories out. When someone sits down to eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast they are doing two things. One, more than likely eating more than the recommended serving, probably double. Everyone can consume half a box of cereal in one sitting. Two, around mid-morning you crash and you're hungry, but it's not lunch time and what's the easiest thing to snack on, something made of carbs. Now it's lunch time and you've already had 500 to 600 calories with likely 60% of them being carbs. Then you go out and get a Chic Fil-a chicken sandwich and a medium waffle fry for lunch. Boom, 840cal WIHOUT any sauces applied. Now it's 1pm and you've consumed 1350 calories unless you added a package of sauce to your sandwich which would put you at 1425 calories, IF you've only consumed water as well. If you're fairly active guy weighing around 180 pounds, you've got about 700 calories left for dinner, dessert, snack, wine, etc... The odds are good that if you think a chic-fil-a chicken sandwich and waffle fry for lunch isn't a bad thing, your dinner is not going to fall within the 700 cal limit. Add in an afternoon pick-me-up snack and you've likely only got 550 to 600 cal left for dinner. That's how most people end up over eating.

Dinner determines if you massively over eat or moderately over eat. If you're picking up take out or going out to dinner, you're massively over eating. If you make a sensible, balanced dinner, you likely only moderately over eat.

Chipotle Burrito bowl - Rice, Beans, Chicken, Cheese, Lettuce = 620 cal. Add a bag of chips = 285 cal. Add a side of guack = 180 cal. 1085 calorie dinner. About 2600 cal day. Not terrible. But if you went out somewhere more traditional, that 1085 cal dinner likely added up to 1300-1500. Add "A" beer or "A" glass of wine, tack on another - 125cal. Make that an actual Burrito rather than a bowl and add in 300cal for that flour tortilla. This day with eating dinner out = about 2810 calories which is about 600-800 more than the average 180 pound male needs. Choose a sensible home cooked dinner and you're not Paula Dean, you're looking at about 2450 calories for the day.

This shit adds up quick and seems innocent enough when consuming them hours apart. But it's a lot of calories. And circling back around to carbs... guess what happens if you cut carbs out of that fictitious day? Anyone? Anyone? That's right, you slash a shit load of calories from your diet and since less calories = losing weight, you lose weight. Who here has seen someone go vegetarian, lose a bunch of weight in the first 6 months and then in a year, gain it all back or more? I've seen it more than a hand full of times. They lose weight initially because they don't know what to eat and as a byproduct, they restrict their calorie intake. Then they figure out what they can eat and go back to their old habits of overeating.

As someone already pointed out, if you're a normal person whiteout some rare issue being responsible for your overweight status. You could consume 1500 calories of ice-cream every day for a month and you'd lose about 5 pounds. You'd be on the road to being very unhealthy, but you'd be lighter.

The macro content of your diet matters little when you have 20 or more pounds of fat to lose. It's when you've lost a bunch of weight and are hovering around at 15-18% body fat that your macro content plays more of a role in what your body burns.

During the time where i was losing 1 pound a week for more than a year, my goal was 1925 calories/day. In that time frame, my macro content averaged out to be: 43% carbs (244g) - 35% fat (88g) - 22% protein (122g). Your Basal Metabolic Rate is the rate in which your body converts food to energy. We quantify this with how many calories your body burns in a 24 hour period with you doing nothing more than converting oxygen to carbon dioxide. Carbs metabolize quickly. Fats metabolize quickly. Protein metabolizes slowly. Low carb, low fat, high protein diet can slow your metabolism. Adding a reasonable amount of carbs and fat can speed up your metabolism which will not only burn more fat but will leave you feeling a lot better.

Carbs are not the problem.

From a body building article. Now, this guy has a crap load of muscle to feed, so don't go out and start eating 4000cal of carbs each day. lol But there is no reason to zero out carbs from your diet.
Quote:
Farah, whose diet advice was certainly a component of Branch Warren's success, was perplexed upon seeing the trend toward low-carbohydrate dieting. Staying with a program defined over time, based upon his personal experience and observations of numerous elite clients, Farah has transformed the physiques of many. Warren is just the latest of a string of successes directed by Farah.

In a telephone interview, Farah responded to a number of questions about what, why and how he instructs his clients nutritionally. He began with the astute observation that muscles don't grow when carbohydrates are restricted. Not only is there a deficit that impairs anabolism, but overall metabolism is disrupted by low-carbohydrate dieting by athletes.

One general measure that demonstrates the effect of long-term carbohydrate depletion is low body temperature.9 Farah sees clients come in with body temperatures of 96F, which quickly rose to normal after reintroducing carbohydrates into the diet. Interestingly, he also pares back cardio to a single 30-minute session daily.

Given that these athletes are reducing body fat despite eating very significant quantities of carbohydrates (Branch Warren consumed as much as 1,000 grams of carbohydrates a day— 4,000 calories worth!), and cutting back on cardio, suggests that the 'in vogue' programs are overly stressful to the body, and catabolic as well. Apparently, the increase in metabolism more than compensates for the increase in calories or any fat-storing effect of diet-induced insulin surges.

Not only have his clients demonstrated improvements in their appearance, Warren and others also were hitting personal records in their training. Those who have followed low-carbohydrate diets are hard-pressed to maintain strength and mass, let alone enjoy workouts or feel a pump. In comparing Warren to his peers onstage, Farah noted that not only was Branch hitting his poses to the delight of fans and judges alike, he continued to hit leg shots as the judges called "relax." Other competitors weren't conditioned to the same extent.