BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

12-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #45
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Meh, it's OK. The pizza is overrated and a lot of it is extremely dirty. You CAN have a good time without spending money, but then there is no reason to go to NYC. NYC DOES have good high end entertainment and restaurants which is why I'm not arguing that it totally sucks.

If you're not going to enjoy the nicer things there, there is nothing great about NYC. The people are rude, the city is dirty, the city is not pretty, no culture, the subway sucks, and did I mention the people are rude?

The whole purpose of going to NYC is seeing a nice show and eating at a michelin star restaurant. Otherwise, it's just like any big city in America. Shitty.
We don't like you either.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #46
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Meh, it's OK. The pizza is overrated and a lot of it is extremely dirty. You CAN have a good time without spending money, but then there is no reason to go to NYC. NYC DOES have good high end entertainment and restaurants which is why I'm not arguing that it totally sucks.

If you're not going to enjoy the nicer things there, there is nothing great about NYC. The people are rude, the city is dirty, the city is not pretty, no culture, the subway sucks, and did I mention the people are rude?

The whole purpose of going to NYC is seeing a nice show and eating at a michelin star restaurant. Otherwise, it's just like any big city in America. Shitty.
NYC is one of my favorite cities on the planet. Different strokes and all...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #47
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Two very famous pizzerias: Lombardis and Grimaldis. Not romantic but delicious. Also try little Italy's restaurants, again not fancy but delicoius
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #48
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:

Pizza is overrated and extremely dirty and can't have a good time without spending money... Curious, where exactly do you reside that's so magical and glorious?

People are rude probably judging from your attitude - not just this post but countless others. No culture? What city did you visit exactly? I can't think of a more culturally diversified city in this country outside of NYC...

Sounds to me that you should probably pack your bags and head out of the country - there's a lot of disdain oozing from your pores about america in general...

Bottom line, the op wants to go to NYC with his significant other, so let the guy do his thing without pissing in his cheerios... Which clearly someone did to yours this morning...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #49
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I cant believe you guys are actually taking him seriously. I lost him at the no culture in nyc part. I think just the boro of Queens is the most diverse per sq foot in the world and almost all of the world's languages are spoke in Queens.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #50
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Oh them be fighting words right there... I grew up around the corner from Lombardi's... Grimaldi's it's on the list but Lombardi's holds a special place in my heart... Like Biorin and her moustache, Lups and her goats, or Sara and Valentino's... (Tonka and his ass can also be added to this list btw )

Valentino's? Is that what people call those these days?

Regarding history and food. I really want to make it to Tokyo to eat at Jiro's restaurant before it's too late. The decades of hard work and craftsmanship is worth the $$$ to eat there. (If you guys don't know what I am talking about netflix, Jiro Dreams of Sushi)

I never thought of NYC people being rude. if people see them as rude, then they are judging them with the mindset of someone who lives in a "township" (whatever that is) with a population of 13 and has one diner attached to a gas station "where everyone knows your name".

@OP I like the idea of having a dinner date in place of a gift, haha. Let's see if I can make that work for me too. I'll let her order something that isn't on the value menu without making a snide judging comment.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #51
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
I cant believe you guys are actually taking him seriously. I lost him at the no culture in nyc part. I think just the boro of Queens is the most diverse per sq foot in the world and almost all of the world's languages are spoke in Queens.
But everyone acts and wants to be American. You are confusing culture and diversity with skin color and eye shape, a mistake most people make.

Look, I said NYC is nice if you spend the money doing the things NYC has to offer...

Otherwise, it IS just any other American city.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #52
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

Valentino's? Is that what people call those these days?

Regarding history and food. I really want to make it to Tokyo to eat at Jiro's restaurant before it's too late. The decades of hard work and craftsmanship is worth the $$$ to eat there. (If you guys don't know what I am talking about netflix, Jiro Dreams of Sushi)

I never thought of NYC people being rude. if people see them as rude, then they are judging them with the mindset of someone who lives in a "township" (whatever that is) with a population of 13 and has one diner attached to a gas station "where everyone knows your name".

@OP I like the idea of having a dinner date in place of a gift, haha. Let's see if I can make that work for me too. I'll let her order something that isn't on the value menu without making a snide judging comment.
Tokyo >>>>>> NYC and I've eaten at Jiros, just last month. It's worth the experience but I honestly had better food at a few small places in Tokyo, particularly tempura and Kobe beef.

I will tell you Roppongi is one of the most expensive and somewhat pretentious places in Tokyo with all kind of overpriced food and stores. It's an experience, not the best sushi.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #53
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Pizza is overrated and extremely dirty and can't have a good time without spending money... Curious, where exactly do you reside that's so magical and glorious?

People are rude probably judging from your attitude - not just this post but countless others. No culture? What city did you visit exactly? I can't think of a more culturally diversified city in this country outside of NYC...

Sounds to me that you should probably pack your bags and head out of the country - there's a lot of disdain oozing from your pores about america in general...

Bottom line, the op wants to go to NYC with his significant other, so let the guy do his thing without pissing in his cheerios... Which clearly someone did to yours this morning...
Lol, I love America and know that I do because I've travelled the world. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I can have my opinion on NYC (many agree) and also love America.

The weather also sucks in NYC.

And it's not like I'm talking crap without knowing....I've been to NYC so many times, I've lost count because my dad is from there. Even he thinks it sucks overall.

As I said, NYC has many great things, but you have to spend the money. Otherwise, it sucks to just experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #54
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

It's not so much the fact that you dislike NYC, it's you post like your shiet don't stink and what you say is the way of the land... My opinion as you so eloquently put it (and many would agree) is you are constantly negative Nancy in your posts and serve no purpose but to belittle people's choices... Fact still remains, the man wants to go there so let him enjoy it to go without you instilling your beliefs in a negative context...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #55
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's not so much the fact that you dislike NYC, it's you post like your shiet don't stink and what you say is the way of the land... My opinion as you so eloquently put it (and many would agree) is you are constantly negative Nancy in your posts and serve no purpose but to belittle people's choices... Fact still remains, the man wants to go there so let him enjoy it to go without you instilling your beliefs in a negative context...
What can I say, I act hard. I'm a softie in real life though.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #56
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
What can I say, I act hard. I'm a softie in real life though.
Should have gotten an M3, amirite?

Jiro's set menu probably includes fish that I don't particularly care much for, but...

I did get to enjoy a piece of history last I was in Tokyo. Went to this guy's restaurant. Had a limit of one piece per customer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...l8nQgUoW.zvQgw

Was pretty delicious.

There was a small sushi places in the fish market that had amazing sushi as well.

I didn't hang out in Roppongi. I typically like small hole in the wall restaurants where locals would eat. Sticky floor restaurants
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #57
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If the locals won't eat it, neither will I.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #58
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Should have gotten an M3, amirite?

Jiro's set menu probably includes fish that I don't particularly care much for, but...

I did get to enjoy a piece of history last I was in Tokyo. Went to this guy's restaurant. Had a limit of one piece per customer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...l8nQgUoW.zvQgw

Was pretty delicious.

There was a small sushi places in the fish market that had amazing sushi as well.

I didn't hang out in Roppongi. I typically like small hole in the wall restaurants where locals would eat. Sticky floor restaurants
Japan is so clean, even the hole in the wall restaurants don't have sticky floors.

BTW, for me, there is a limit to what I'll spend on an asset going to 0.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #59
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
But everyone acts and wants to be American. You are confusing culture and diversity with skin color and eye shape, a mistake most people make.

Look, I said NYC is nice if you spend the money doing the things NYC has to offer...

Lol again.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #60
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Agreed. I often confuse New York City with Tuscon and Minneapolis.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #61
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
To the guy who said NYC is underwhelming and dirty - i'd tell you to go fack yourself, but there might be children around...

With that said, to the Op, you are going to have a difficult time on V-Day getting a table... Most places will be booked solid, charge a premium, and usually a prix fixe menu... Do you have a budget per-say?

In terms of things to do, depends on the age group of you and the Mrs - but a nice part of going to another state / country whatnot, is just getting lost and exploring... You are staying in an area where it is okay to explore, even after the sun goes down, lol... You already know the tourist spots to go to, you've seen the movies and tv shows...

What i've always loved about home is; doesn't have to be the fanciest Michelin Star'ed restaurant, you can find good food anywhere... I used to walk into Balthazar and order the fries to go when I was younger... You can stroll and eat what is quite possibly some of the best french fries in existence...

Correction Midtown NYC is absolutely a garbage can. When you are there try not trip over the hobos or step in any piss when getting of the subway.

Other than that its a good city. My home
      12-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #62
borinous
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

thanks all for the comments.....i have alot to consider thanks.

Sorry if ive sparked some disagreement over the city.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #63
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

You'll have fun. It really is THE city for the US. The only other ones close worldwide are Tokyo, London, and Paris. Be aware when you are there. Don't stare up at the buildings of do friendly greetings or waves. Typically people who do are tourists or people trying to take advantage of you. And be smart. Crime is up significantly since comrade Delbasio took office.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #64
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Have to agree with most of the sentiment in this. Absolutely NYC is a great place to visit, great things to do and in all honesty found both the people and subway (other than the occasional smell) to be excellent.

I have been lucky enough to travel most of the world and NYC is one of the best city's I have ever been to. In fact, it and Boston (without offending anyone) would be the only cities I would return to in the States.

I can highly recommend Gramercy Tavern for a meal. Exquisite food and service, could not fault it. My 14 year old (at the time) Son and I took my Wife there for her birthday last year.

Very good atmosphere without the "snootiness" of some others we visited.

Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #65
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
dont leave NYC without having hot dogs, honey roasted peanuts from corner stands.
like every1 said, make reservation before hand or adventure into smaller restaurants in the area.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #66
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:

not true! not every1 wants to be American. if that was the case you wouldnt be able to have the selection of restaurants NY has. You can find almost any type of food from different ethnic supermarkets.
Appreciate 0