BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
btgM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

X-Pipe Opinions Needed

After pondering all week on exhaust brands to choose, I finally decided to go with the Dinan rear section. I was originally set on the Meisterschaft GT2, but after finally hearing it in person I realized it was way too loud and the drone was a bit much. The deciaion to finally go with the Dinan was for a number reasons.

Now that is aside, it's time to look for an xpipe!! My preference is to be completley bolt on and compatible with the Dinan rear section with no cutting or welding. My initial thoughts are below....

Dinan: This would obviously be compatible with the muffler, but price and need for flash are making me think otherwise.

Challenge Street: Price is great and no need for tune. I'm a bit confused as to whether this is bolt on and compatible with the Dinan muffler. When searching here, i've seen some posts that lead be to beleive its bolt on, and others where its not. My preference it to not do any cutting or welding. Does anyone know for sure??

All comments and suggestions are apreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Wait for a used Dinan X-pipe, I've seen a few over the last year for $1500 give or take a couple hundred. You'll love the power gains, and with a tune would be even better.
      01-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgM3 View Post
After pondering all week on exhaust brands to choose, I finally decided to go with the Dinan rear section. I was originally set on the Meisterschaft GT2, but after finally hearing it in person I realized it was way too loud and the drone was a bit much. The deciaion to finally go with the Dinan was for a number reasons.

Now that is aside, it's time to look for an xpipe!! My preference is to be completley bolt on and compatible with the Dinan rear section with no cutting or welding. My initial thoughts are below....

Dinan: This would obviously be compatible with the muffler, but price and need for flash are making me think otherwise.

Challenge Street: Price is great and no need for tune. I'm a bit confused as to whether this is bolt on and compatible with the Dinan muffler. When searching here, i've seen some posts that lead be to beleive its bolt on, and others where its not. My preference it to not do any cutting or welding. Does anyone know for sure??

You need to cut the stock X-pipe if you go with the Challenge Street. The primary cats remain and then a cut is made after to install the challenge which eliminates the second set of cats. The end of the challenge street will be compatible with the Dinan rear section.
      01-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
btgM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankThomas View Post
You need to cut the stock X-pipe if you go with the Challenge Street. The primary cats remain and then a cut is made after to install the challenge which eliminates the second set of cats. The end of the challenge street will be compatible with the Dinan rear section.
Thanks! Not sure I'm keen on cutting into my stock pipe. I guess the only way to do this is to suck it up and go for a tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Acm test pipes. No brainier. I have the exact setup, ess tune, dinan exhaust and test pipes. Im in jersey city, lemme know if you wanna hear it u will be soooooold by the time 2nd gear hits 7k rpm.
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

We have some options for you...

High Flow Catalytic's

Straight pipe

Black Edition Ceramic Coated

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

I have a Gintani X-Pipe with HFC and the stock rear section. LOVE IT!

The car purs almost like stock around the streets with just a hint of a more sinister nature in the growl, but sounds like a freakin F1 car when you hit WOT. I love it...and you cannot complain about the power boost, especially in the mid range torque. Daily drivability and moderate sound levels were very important to me...hence, this was a perfect solution. And my fiance has never complained about the sound, so +2!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

try the challenge sport. direct bolt in with primary cats removed. dont have to cut your stock center section up so you can switch back if needed and you get the extra power you always wanted.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

AA is a great choice.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

andrew can you pm price of the ceramic rear section. any sound clips with a hfc center section would help too.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgM3 View Post

Challenge Street: Price is great and no need for tune.

My preference it to not do any cutting or welding. Does anyone know for sure??

There is no "need" for a tune with any x-pipe. You will get a CEL if you delete the primary (front) cats. This can be fixed with a $1000 tune, with a $400 Akra Delete-R or with a $95 BMS Downpipe Fix.

Any x-pipe that is not a complete x-pipe and retains part of the factory x-pipe will obviously require cutting your stock x-pipe. Study pictures of stock and aftermarket x-pipes until you know what you are buying. Some incomplete x-pipes delete the secondary (rear) cats only, which does the least for performance because the primary cats are the most restrictive and add the most backpressure to the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I had both Dinan and Gintani xpipes on my car and I preferred the Gintani. Both are going to give you the same amount of power gains, both will require a tune but Gintani sounded better to me. I had the pipe with 4 resonators. Another plus for the Gintani is if you ever sell it, the pipe breaks down and is much easier to ship.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
andrew can you pm price of the ceramic rear section. any sound clips with a hfc center section would help too.
I'm running a Challenge Sport with the AA rear section and love it. Sounds incredible.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
You have A pm Sir!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #15
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
I have a Gintani X-Pipe with HFC and the stock rear section. LOVE IT!

The car purs almost like stock around the streets with just a hint of a more sinister nature in the growl, but sounds like a freakin F1 car when you hit WOT. I love it...and you cannot complain about the power boost, especially in the mid range torque. Daily drivability and moderate sound levels were very important to me...hence, this was a perfect solution. And my fiance has never complained about the sound, so +2!
So true, I've tried the Gintani HFC's and now the quad resonated Gintani X-pipe on the same car. (with the Gintani valved sport rear section) Both amazing but the quad resonated Gintani X-pipe is sensational
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

I have two cracks in welds in my Dinan xpipe. The welds broke behind the canisters, behind the first one on one side and behind the second one on the other side.

Dinan has no warranty or backing on the "race only" parts and said they only see this on cars that have been tracked. Huh? Sounds like a real "tuner" approach. Now I'm struggling to find someone in my area to weld stainless steel.
      01-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Go with Turner test pipes. They add some volume and tone, and you can use a Delete-r or a tune to get rid of the cel. The secondary cat deletes make zero or close to zero power.

The dinan x pipe is way too expensive and really stinky.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Do you have a dyno showing that test pipes on a stock x-pipe yield the same gains as a catless x-pipe? I was under the impression the primary cats were the greater restriction, but that the rear cats still posed some restriction.

A catless x-pipe is initially stinky, but after some driving, the ECU adapts and the smell is not really very noticeable anymore. It is still illegal, but so are test pipes though you may feel better about them since they preserve the secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
maesd74
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan comp package

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw
Go with Turner test pipes. They add some volume and tone, and you can use a Delete-r or a tune to get rid of the cel. The secondary cat deletes make zero or close to zero power.

The dinan x pipe is way too expensive and really stinky.
This. I have the turner test pipes and for $395 plus installation labor I have different car. Sounds relatively normal under regular circumstances and then it transforms into a different machine under WOT. I still have the OEM x-pipe and rear section and don't see any reason to change anything else out. If anything, I'm thinking of a BPM Tune just to get the most I can out of the car with a limited amount of cash out the door.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

A tune, test pipes, filter and UD pulley are the best bang for the buck. In my opinion, any of the tunes, any of the test pipes, any of the filters and any of the UD pulleys will make about the same power, so for bang for the buck, I would choose based on price. One shop was selling a discounted tune plus test pipe combo recently in the for sale section. I do think a full catless x-pipe makes more power than just test pipes on a stock x-pipe, but typically at 3x or more the price so those extra hp are not bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I just installed an Evolve X-pipe this afternoon and I was amazed at the difference in sound and power. I really didn't expect to feel much power but you sure can tell. I have the UUC/Corsa rear section and going through the Lincoln Tunnel sounded like an F1 car at Monaco. In my parking garage I revved it with my door open and my head out of the car and it was VERY loud but it was perfectly fine for regular cruising on the way home.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
I'm running a Challenge Sport with the AA rear section and love it. Sounds incredible.

Challenge Sport w/ Eisenmann Sport here & also incredible. I also had the GT2 prior.....
Appreciate 0