BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

05-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

rpm setting for getting larger swirls out w/Griot's random orbital

Hi Folks - I have been playing around with my new Griot's random orbital and trying to get some light scratches out of the clear coat of an imola red BMW. I am using Menzerna polish...and have tried with a orange and blue polishing pads. I first started with their FG400 (1200) and then went to their SIP 1500 and then their finishing SF4000. I still have some light swirls and scratches that don't want to come out. I had my RPM setting at about 5 (max is 6 on this machine). I used this setting with the initial FG400 and the SIP 1500, then lowered to setting 2.5-3 for the final SF4000. But I still have swirls. I'm using moderate pressure holding the orbital and I'm going back and forth and up and down (both directions).

Any tips from the pros here on how to completely eliminate these swirls? It looks better after I was done, but certainly not show-worthy. There are no fillers in this product, so in order for it to look good, I truely need to sand those scratches away permanently. I realize I could opt for a cheaper polish that fills in and looks good with minimal effort, but I know that will be short lived. I want to eliminate them permanently.

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0