BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

10-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
rfdgn1228
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 AW/FR

Rattling noise from rear & humming noise when turning

hi all,

i've only had my car for about 3 months so hearing noises already is pretty much getting me upset. i hope its nothing since its gone away this morning but here's the deal:

last night when i was backing out of my parking spot i started to rear a rattling coming from the rear drivers side area. it literally sounded like i was dragging a can on the floor. i stopped, took a flashlight, and checked it out but couldn't find anything. i got back into the car and went on my way and the noise eventually went away at high speeds and turned into a waving noise (similar to how warped rotors sounded on my previous cars); however, all the noise went away eventually.

i got to my gf's, turned off the car, and was parked for about 15 min. when i started her up and left again, the same routine happened again. i was going to call the dealer and bring it in but it hasn't happened since then, even this morning when i left for work.

also, on another note, i am hearing humming noises when i make a hard right turn but can't replicate the noise when i make a hard left. it sounds similar to how my tires sounded when they were unbalanced on my 350z but i don't think its that cause its fine any other time.

so, after that long explanation (apologies), i was wondering if any of you could help me determine what's going on and if i should even bother bringing into the dealer since the noise already stopped. i figured if they can't repeat what's going on they'll say everything is fine and i'll just waste my time.

thanks for the help.

2009 aw/fr e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
Dengel
Non-Guido Jersey Resident
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow Jeep Rubicon

you probably have a rock stuck in the rear brake caliper. Same thing happened to me. It will most likely fall out on its own with some casual driving
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE

Same thing happened to me.

Don't worry too much about it...

That "can sound" happened to me as well after a month of having the car. turns out it was just dust or a rock stuck. so nothing to worry about.

as for the noise when turning. I also has such an experience and went around here on the forums and searched it. turns out that there is a little bit of wheel rub when the steering wheel is nearly locked.

so all in all...we are all on the same boat. don't bother yourself too much about it. coz its normal.
      10-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

had same thing. its a rock. reach around to brake shield and try and wiggle it loose.
      11-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
rfdgn1228
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengel View Post
you probably have a rock stuck in the rear brake caliper. Same thing happened to me. It will most likely fall out on its own with some casual driving
thanks. that was probably the case because the noise has gone away. i do park in a gravel lot so that's probably what happened.

2009 aw/fr e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
rfdgn1228
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post
Same thing happened to me.

Don't worry too much about it...

That "can sound" happened to me as well after a month of having the car. turns out it was just dust or a rock stuck. so nothing to worry about.

as for the noise when turning. I also has such an experience and went around here on the forums and searched it. turns out that there is a little bit of wheel rub when the steering wheel is nearly locked.

so all in all...we are all on the same boat. don't bother yourself too much about it. coz its normal.
that's what i was thinking because its the same noise i got when my tires would rub on my 350z. good to know we're all in the same boat. just sucks that you pay $60k+ for a car and you still have these one-off problems that are suppose to be normal.

2009 aw/fr e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

The noise when turning could be the differential as well, but nothing to worry about. Car shouldn't be rubbing with stock wheels/tires (mine certainly doesn't with 19s).
If you already had the 1,200 service done, check that the right fluid was put in there. If not, that should fix it. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
rfdgn1228
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
The noise when turning could be the differential as well, but nothing to worry about. Car shouldn't be rubbing with stock wheels/tires (mine certainly doesn't with 19s).
If you already had the 1,200 service done, check that the right fluid was put in there. If not, that should fix it. Good luck.
its weird. i tend to hear the humming noise more when i'm turning hard right than left. could that be the differential? if so i might schedule an appointment to bring it in. i had my 1,200 mile service done about 1 1/2 months ago.

2009 aw/fr e92 m3
Appreciate 0