BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Tips on getting out of jury duty?

I actually got called on to go to jury duty tomorrow but I'm a really busy college student with full day classes pretty much monday through friday and I hear cali has like court cases lasting two weeks or something. I need some advice on how to get out of it. I can't afford to be out of school for that long without jeopardizing my entire gpa because I'm a junior and the classes move pretty fast, not to mention all the quizzes I'm going to have to miss...any students get out of cali jury duty with a good excuse? I'm taking 20 units this semester and our finals are coming up in about two weeks. Any advice would be appreciated.

edit: you can't be excused even if you're a student unless the judge specifically pardons you..but that's what I need some advice on getting.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

There's no way around it man. You are required to show up and like you said, you can only be excused by a judge. I doubt anyone here can show you how to get out of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

In LA.... You have a weeks window in which you are up for Jury duty. As you probably know you call a number nightly and an automated system tells you if you have to report or not. If you do have to report, it does not mean that you are selected for jury duty. It just means that you are in a pool of people who have to be at the courthouse for the day. You will sit in a big room all day long, bored....very bored.

As jury cases come in then they will call out jury numbers to go and sit as potential jurors in that case. There is a decent chance that you may sit in the big room all day and not be called for a jury pool. If that happens then great your jury duty service is done and life goes on.

If you get called for a potential jury pool, they will take you up into a court room and give you a general idea of the case to be tried.... civil vs criminal and general facts. It is here that you want to pay attention so you can pick up clues as to what the lawyers on the case do not want to hear. They will then ask each juror questions and from that pick their jury. Typically if you take a anti governmental approach and are pretty extreme/biased in your answers then you will not be seen as a good jury candidate typically.

Forgot to mention, Don't lie.... that will cause more trouble then its worth, but acting restless and frankly not being very approachable can help. But nothing is a guarantee
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post
In LA.... You have a weeks window in which you are up for Jury duty. As you probably know you call a number nightly and an automated system tells you if you have to report or not. If you do have to report, it does not mean that you are selected for jury duty. It just means that you are in a pool of people who have to be at the courthouse for the day. You will sit in a big room all day long, bored....very bored.

As jury cases come in then they will call out jury numbers to go and sit as potential jurors in that case. There is a decent chance that you may sit in the big room all day and not be called for a jury pool. If that happens then great your jury duty service is done and life goes on.

If you get called for a potential jury pool, they will take you up into a court room and give you a general idea of the case to be tried.... civil vs criminal and general facts. It is here that you want to pay attention so you can pick up clues as to what the lawyers on the case do not want to hear. They will then ask each juror questions and from that pick their jury. Typically if you take a anti governmental approach and are pretty extreme/biased in your answers then you will not be seen as a good jury candidate.
Ohh ok thanks! I heard about jury nullification and all that but I wasn't sure where that comes into play. Yea my friend said she just sat in a room all day and didnt get called on for service. I didn't have to go yesterday but the automated phone thing called me in today so I guess I'm stuck there all day for tomorrow atleast. Anyone know when I get to see the judge so I can tell her I'm a full time student with no time? Only after I get picked from the jury pool?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

say something racist
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
Ohh ok thanks! I heard about jury nullification and all that but I wasn't sure where that comes into play. Yea my friend said she just sat in a room all day and didnt get called on for service. I didn't have to go yesterday but the automated phone thing called me in today so I guess I'm stuck there all day for tomorrow atleast. Anyone know when I get to see the judge so I can tell her I'm a full time student with no time? Only after I get picked from the jury pool?

IMO, don't mention jury nullification... it'll just make it look like you're trying to get out of jury duty, because that's what many people do. Just ask if you'll be allowed to vote your conscience, that should suffice to get you out of jury duty without looking too much like you're trying to get out of jury duty.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 02:33 AM   #7
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
say something racist

01-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

You could mention something about the OJ trial..... or you could just show up and explain your situation to the judge and hope that he/she will excuse you. OR you can try some other methods that have worked in the past:
1. Tell them you dont understand much english (works better if your not white).
2. When they ask you what u do just tell them "as little as possible" (my dad did this and they dismissed him).
3. Tell them your waiting on an important package from UPS (true story, my mom did it and they dismissed her).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

When you got the letter you have a choice of accepting the date or postponing it for anytime within the next ten months, simply send that back saying you'll attend in like June or July,
      01-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Usually there is something on the notice about being a full time student. When you go, when the judge asks you occupation, say "I am a full time college student in the middle of a semester your honor" and leave it at that. DO NOT imply that you are too busy to do your 'civic duty' or else they will f you. If you say that odds are the judge will dismiss you. They want people with nothing better to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
AMERICUS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 04 330 ZHP

I won't not blatantly, or obviously, try to get out of it because you CAN be arrest for contempt of court. Make sure you can backup whatever excuse / reason you have because if the judge doesn't buy it, they can arrest you...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Show up and just make sure you don't get selected. Don't make it obvious but when you are answering questions appear to be a little racist, judgmental.... maybe even slightly violent, you know, like you'd take the law into your own hands. Think about what the prosecution/defense is looking for in a jury member and just be the opposite.
      01-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
AMERICUS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 04 330 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
Show up and just make sure you don't get selected. Don't make it obvious but when you are answering questions appear to be a little racist, judgmental.... maybe even slightly violent, you know, like you'd take the law into your own hands. Think about what the prosecution/defense is looking for in a jury member and just be the opposite.
That WILL get you contempt of court. I always said I would go in and just be racist and I would never get called, but talking my good friend, she is the the district attorney, this will get you arrested and/or fined unless you can prove why you are racist.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
Usually there is something on the notice about being a full time student. When you go, when the judge asks you occupation, say "I am a full time college student in the middle of a semester your honor" and leave it at that. DO NOT imply that you are too busy to do your 'civic duty' or else they will f you. If you say that odds are the judge will dismiss you. They want people with nothing better to do.
This. Full-time student should get you out of it. I was summoned for a court date in NJ (failure to exhibit insurance document when pulled over, had the wrong card on me) when I was going to Penn State 3 hours away. I had my dad call and tell them there's no way I could make it, and rescheduled for summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

I was under the impression they usually let college kids off....I had jury duty about 3 yrs ago...I was still a full-time student in college. This was during the summer mind you, so I very well could have sat in on the case. The judge let me and all of the other students off.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
say something racist
+1 you'll be excused if you tell them you're racist or say "If the police arrested them, then they are guilty"

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^this
Or you had a bad experience similar to the case, and don't think you can be impartial.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

yeah from what i remember, if you're a full time student you can postpone your date. as in push it back until the next time they decide to summon you.
      01-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I've gotten out twice by saying I'm a full time college student and I live at school.. If that doesn't work, can there be ANY relation made between whatever you're studying in school and what you're likely to vote? For example, a friend of mine is a psychology student and got out of it by saying that as a psych student he took courses in criminal psychology which would make him more likely to sympathize with a possible criminal through understanding the thought processes and possible mental disorders going on while committing crimes.

So either that... or just make yourself seem like a generally unappealing candidate.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #20
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICUS View Post
this will get you arrested and/or fined unless you can prove why you are racist.
...because anyone who's not your ethnicity sucks? Haha

I've never been called for jury duty (knock on wood) but I'd certainly be biased myself. I'm voting to free the person unless they did something horrible as I don't believe all officers have your everyone's best interest at heart, but moreso just wanting to get people in jail.

Does anyone know if they call people with criminal histories in for jury duty? I would imagine felons don't get called, but what about folkd with gross misdemeanors or reduced felonies, etc?
      01-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #21
alpha325i
this chick >
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

i got called for jury duty 2 years ago when i was still in college. i showed up the first day on time with a print out of my student log-in page with my name and student ID number. The jury assistant lady made a copy and gave me an excempt form. went on about my day and never had to return

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Well....that sucks. ......first group to get called in, first group to be interviewed first person in that group to be chosen after telling judge I'm a full time junior with midterms and disagreeing with both lawyers. .......God wants me in jury duty lol
Appreciate 0