BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Lunker
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M

Underestimated Registration Fee?

Received a letter from the dealership stating that they underestimate the registration fee by $40 dollars and that they would like me to pay the difference. Has this ever happened and should I or am I required to pay the difference they they underestimated. I am OK with doing this but it seems to be a trivial amount that they are asking for after the deal was completed.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

I've had mine over estimated twice and got unexpected refund checks. So I would say yes it happens................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights

Last edited by ///M Ryder; 10-12-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Lunker
Private
Rep

Come to think of it, I was overestimated once and received a check.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Chrisfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Moped

I would pay the difference. Registration is run by the government (so it's probably correct about 1% of the time) and is a tax. It just doesn't have anything to do with the dealership. Just my opinion..........
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

happened to me also
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

This is a prime example of a completely missed business opportunity. I agree this has nothing to do with the dealer and they are not at all responsible for this even if they told the customer the wrong info BUT for 40 dollars they could have paid this, sent the owner a letter stating that they undercharged him but took care of the payment and hope you are enjoying your car.. something along the lines of that.

So many business do not have basic business/marketing skills and its clear even large bmw dealers lack the obviously business sense to make long term customers happy
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
This is a prime example of a completely missed business opportunity. I agree this has nothing to do with the dealer and they are not at all responsible for this even if they told the customer the wrong info BUT for 40 dollars they could have paid this, sent the owner a letter stating that they undercharged him but took care of the payment and hope you are enjoying your car.. something along the lines of that.

So many business do not have basic business/marketing skills and its clear even large bmw dealers lack the obviously business sense to make long term customers happy
Depending on the state this might not be legal.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Lunker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post

I was thinking along the same lines...something small like this makes me not want to do business with the dealership again. I want to feel like a dealership has gone above and beyond expectations, this doesn't leave me feeling that way. I'll give the Sales adviser a call and see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Sounds pretty cheap to me. The dealer has lost a good PR opportunity. Although this is not that unusual because the clerk in the back office was just "following procedure".

I'd take two $20 bills into the dealership and politely, make a big deal out of paying for their mistake all the while making it clear you're not a happy puppy. If it's not too much trouble for you, try to get the sales or business managers involved. It should be interesting to see their reaction. Oh, if you do end up paying, make sure you get a receipt detailing exactly what you are paying for.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Its not even something that will likely cause a "concious" change in a buyers behavior. Meaning this buyer will probably go back to that dealer providing the rest of the experience was good. However, unconciously this could have envoked a really good feeling in someone about that dealer where it would be much more on their mind when others would talk about which dealers to go to, or in the future if you saw a better deal eslewhere you may be more inclined to go back to this dealer just because you have the "good feeling" that comes to mind when thinking of the dealer. Its these intangible suggestions the business owner can place in customers that is the real secret to effective marketing but so many people do not employ. They should teach more psychology in business school
Appreciate 0