BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

06-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #89
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
F32 M3 will be a turbocharged disaster I'm betting. I think anyone who still wants a real BMW ///M car new better have it made before 6/2012

I really hope it will be a disaster. If it fails, then they will go back to NA engines.

Buuuuut, ///marketing will do all they can to promote the shit out of that piece of shit....so the masses will think that the f32 m3 is a work of art.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #90
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
F32 M3 will be a turbocharged disaster I'm betting. I think anyone who still wants a real BMW ///M car new better have it made before 6/2012
The Mayans were right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      06-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #91
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I can think of a few. GT3, GT3 RS, GT2, GT2 RS.

Even if the M3 were a manual, it wouldnt really matter. The special characteristics that set it above and apart from the 1M are still there.
True. M would never make the M3 in manual only though, as they know the sales would literally plummet through the floor.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #92
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post

I really hope it will be a disaster. If it fails, then they will go back to NA engines.

Buuuuut, ///marketing will do all they can to promote the shit out of that piece of shit....so the masses will think that the f32 m3 is a work of art.
Exactly. Which is why we have to work harder to pooh-pooh the 1M. I already can't stand everyone drinking the Kool Aid on the F10 M5..
It's like a little marketing and nobody has brains anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #93
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by egt135i View Post
Lets get serious, there is no car like the M3.
+10 and there never will be!

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #94
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
True. M would never make the M3 in manual only though, as they know the sales would literally plummet through the floor.
Honestly, I think we should not be fighting about stick vs dct. Something else takes precedent over that, and it's turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #95
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Exactly. Which is why we have to work harder to pooh-pooh the 1M. I already can't stand everyone drinking the Kool Aid on the F10 M5..
It's like a little marketing and nobody has brains anymore.
YES! What I have bolded is absolutely true. Laugh every time I hear that the 1M is the spiritual successor to the e30 m3. If that were true, why doesn't the 1m have a m3 badge?

I can't stand the new m5 f10.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #96
FLEX///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoss View Post
M3 FTW!!! And lets keep in mind this is the outgoing generation...wait till the F3X M3 comes out...a 1M won't even have a chance. The M3 will always be the King of the M's, it's BMW's pride and joy...the 1M however is a nice alternative if you can't afford the M3.
I don't know what this means. Unless you finance the car over a five year period (which 5% of people do) the 1M is more expensive. When I got mine I looked at the numbers and compared them to the M3. I couldn't easily gotten a loaded M3 for less than what I'm paying now for my 1M, both lease and BMWselect. For anyone who is leasing, the M3 is actually cheaper than the 1M.

Quote:

They can't go back to NA. Main reason being that U.S. is the largest buying power in the world and our government has set a minimum in both mpg and emissions. It isn't possible for BMW (at the moment) to offer vehicles that perform like we expect them to without the use of a turbo. However, after having my 1M for a little over a month, I am very confident the F30 M3 will not disappoint.

Quote:
YES! What I have bolded is absolutely true. Laugh every time I hear that the 1M is the spiritual successor to the e30 m3. If that were true, why doesn't the 1m have a m3 badge?

The reason people say the 1M is the successor of the e30 M3 is because the original concept of the M3 was NOT to be a big car like it is nowadays. The philosophy of the M3 was exactly what the e30 M3 was. If you take that and compare it to the e9X M3 (which is an AMAZING machine) you'll see that they strayed away from that. Maybe because they needed something a little more mainstream? The exact reason, I don't know. But I do know that the new M3 is bigger than the old 5 series... and that should speak for itself.

Let me be clear here, I'm not speaking against the M3. I'm simply explaining why they say its the spiritual successor. And as to why the car doesn't have the M3 badge? Well, because now the M3 is something else, and if BMW EVER did anything like that, everybody on this forum would sign out permanently, it wouldn't make any sense.

I love my 1M, and I love the M3. But it is kinda tiring to see all the M3 people feel so threatened by it. Always trying to knock it down a notch. "not a true M this... 135i that". Just be happy with the car you have... and if you really want to take it to that level, then go race it on a track and find out for yourself which car is quicker.

And if that's not good enough, then have a jedi lightsaber duel.

And if you go and say "lightsaber aren't 'TRUE' swords just like you think the 1M is not a true M, then have a samurai katana duel Just make sure that you're opponent doesn't have a lightsaber, cause he's gonna own the hell out of you.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #97
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:

So true. I actually think the 1M is an experiment by BMW~corporate to see how much BS people will buy. Do the absolute minimum, but say its awesome, and throw in the bogus comparison to the e30 m3. Sheesh, i haven't driven either and even i know it can't be true Just use a little logic
Asking us to not care about the engine in an M is like asking us to not care if it even has wheels, I mean if you don't care about the engine in a car, what else is there to care about, really?!?

Everyone Oh-ah-ing the M5 like they don't know most of it is just changing the software on a 550i... and they get lazier and cheaper they don't even upgrade the parts anymore, they just lock/unlock everything by computer!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #98
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I don't know why people keep implying that people who choose to buy the 1M are doing so because they can't afford an M3. $50k for a somewhat stripped 1M compared to a stripped M3 sedan($55k) is only a $5k difference. Peanuts really....

I have had every M3 iteration since the E36, an M6 and now anxiously waiting for the 1M. Why? Personal preference at play not finance.
      06-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #99
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX///M View Post
I don't know what this means. Unless you finance the car over a five year period (which 5% of people do) the 1M is more expensive. When I got mine I looked at the numbers and compared them to the M3. I couldn't easily gotten a loaded M3 for less than what I'm paying now for my 1M, both lease and BMWselect. For anyone who is leasing, the M3 is actually cheaper than the 1M.

They can't go back to NA. Main reason being that U.S. is the largest buying power in the world and our government has set a minimum in both mpg and emissions. It isn't possible for BMW (at the moment) to offer vehicles that perform like we expect them to without the use of a turbo. However, after having my 1M for a little over a month, I am very confident the F30 M3 will not disappoint.

The reason people say the 1M is the successor of the e30 M3 is because the original concept of the M3 was NOT to be a big car like it is nowadays. The philosophy of the M3 was exactly what the e30 M3 was. If you take that and compare it to the e9X M3 (which is an AMAZING machine) you'll see that they strayed away from that. Maybe because they needed something a little more mainstream? The exact reason, I don't know. But I do know that the new M3 is bigger than the old 5 series... and that should speak for itself.

Let me be clear here, I'm not speaking against the M3. I'm simply explaining why they say its the spiritual successor. And as to why the car doesn't have the M3 badge? Well, because now the M3 is something else, and if BMW EVER did anything like that, everybody on this forum would sign out permanently, it wouldn't make any sense.

I love my 1M, and I love the M3. But it is kinda tiring to see all the M3 people feel so threatened by it. Always trying to knock it down a notch. "not a true M this... 135i that". Just be happy with the car you have... and if you really want to take it to that level, then go race it on a track and find out for yourself which car is quicker.

And if that's not good enough, then have a jedi lightsaber duel.

And if you go and say "lightsaber aren't 'TRUE' swords just like you think the 1M is not a true M, then have a samurai katana duel Just make sure that you're opponent doesn't have a lightsaber, cause he's gonna own the hell out of you.
Other car companies keep some of their line up NA without going turbo. If they can do it, BMW can do it. I believe BMW is a great company that can absolutely do that. They just want to invest the R&D to create those engines.

And let's be honest here. The people, in which I have bolded, is just ///m's marketing department. I understand your explanation and reasoning. I truly do. I have a major in the arts, so I understand taking the concepts of thing and modernizing it, building on top of it, or re-envisioning it. But at the end of the day, the 1m does not have a NA engine, which automatically DQ's it from being the e30's successor as ///m spent years beat their chest about how NA's are superior to turbo, which is the backbone of ///m (at least it was).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #100
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So true. I actually think the 1M is an experiment by BMW~corporate to see how much BS people will buy. Do the absolute minimum, but say its awesome, and throw in the bogus comparison to the e30 m3. Sheesh, i haven't driven either and even i know it can't be true Just use a little logic
Asking us to not care about the engine in an M is like asking us to not care if it even has wheels, I mean if you don't care about the engine in a car, what else is there to care about, really?!?

Everyone Oh-ah-ing the M5 like they don't know most of it is just changing the software on a 550i... and they get lazier and cheaper they don't even upgrade the parts anymore, they just lock/unlock everything by computer!

You get a standing ovation. It is very obvious if you take a step back and think about it logically. The comparison is absolutely bogus. I am just surprised so many enthusiasts are falling for it. BMW is just being cheap in order to maximize profit. Resting on your laurels will get you no where. Just look at Aston Martin...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #101
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
///Marketing. BMW has lost it's soul. BMW's all about making money and screw quality and reliability. They'll spend the least amount of Research and Development as they can , put a BMW badge on it and what do you know, it sells hundreds of thousands.

You get a standing ovation too. Everything you say is not just gold, it's platinum.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #102
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Purist my ass, they left the DCT off, because it will kill the M3 IF it had it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #103
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Purist my ass, they left the DCT off, because it will kill the M3 IF it had it.
This has been discussed, debated and simulated. The conclusion is pretty clear that it would not. Sure a DCT 1M vs. a 6MT M3 would place the 1M closer and perhaps very close at lower speeds. However, it would in no way "kill" the M3.

Now that being said to keep the car a purists car was not the only reason to leave DCT off. Cost and a narrower performance gaps were likely reasons as well.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:38 AM   #104
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I still like the 1M despite the fact that it loses to it's older sibling.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #105
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Clearly this car is more about buzz / hype than selling automobiles..

To concluded that is to remain clueless as to the speed of the 7 speed DCT. It doesn't lose boost/traction like the fully manual 6 speed does, so with it, simply will walk the current M3.

Example... I have rammed a stock 335i up the ass of a 500 hp AMG Black Series, with nothing other than boost and the ability to stay in boost while shifting. -That MB was not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This has been discussed, debated and simulated. The conclusion is pretty clear that it would not. Sure a DCT 1M vs. a 6MT M3 would place the 1M closer and perhaps very close at lower speeds. However, it would in no way "kill" the M3.

Now that being said to keep the car a purists car was not the only reason to leave DCT off. Cost and a narrower performance gaps were likely reasons as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:54 AM   #106
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post

Clearly this car is more about buzz / hype than selling automobiles..

To concluded that is to remain clueless as to the speed of the 7 speed DCT. It doesn't lose boost/traction like the fully manual 6 speed does, so with it, simply will walk the current M3.

Example... I have rammed a stock 335i up the ass of a 500 hp AMG Black Series, with nothing other than boost and the ability to stay in boost while shifting. -That MB was not happy.
Did the AMG realise you were racing? He was probably busy talking to the hot brunette in the passenger seat while you were wolf whistling your boost guage.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #107
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Good review, and exactly what I would imagine it to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #108
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoss View Post
And lets keep in mind this is the outgoing generation...wait till the F3X M3 comes out...a 1M won't even have a chance.
It doesn't make sense to compare the F32 M3 to the 1M since a) the 1M will be out of production even before the E9x m3, and b) the F22 M2 (the successor to the E82 1M) will most likely be out before the F32 M3.

A comparison of the next generation cars is of course a long way out, but don't be surprised if things are even closer than they are now. The M3 loses the V8, which as you can see by this comparison is largerly what gave it the win, and also the M2 is likely to gain DCT which is another thing that hurt it against the current M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #109
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'd rather have the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #110
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
The comparison is absolutely bogus. I am just surprised so many enthusiasts are falling for it. BMW is just being cheap in order to maximize profit.
Quote:
So true. I actually think the 1M is an experiment by BMW~corporate to see how much BS people will buy. Do the absolute minimum, but say its awesome, and throw in the bogus comparison to the e30 m3.
Quote:
YES! What I have bolded is absolutely true. Laugh every time I hear that the 1M is the spiritual successor to the e30 m3.
Has anyone here with these (unresearched?) conclusions actually driven - or even seen - a 1M???
Oh ... well, here -
Quote:
Sheesh, i haven't driven either and even i know it can't be true Just use a little logic
That would be the kind of logic which says that having no evidence is the best proof of what a person wants to believe???

The little brother is just a wonderful car. It's a near-perfect effort, especially with consideration of its obvious goals and constraints to satisfy what M wanted to do: get out a true BMW version of a tuner car, answer the requests of (supposed ) small-car track-oriented purists, and show what can be done quickly and by no one else.

There is nothing out that looks and runs like the 1M - in all of its positive aspects. It will not let go of the pavement and does this without having to rely upon trick software to ensure that its weight and dimensions aren't apparent. It will pin the driver and passenger back against their seats, without having requiring that the driver spin the engine up to its highest rpms. It will go exactly where pointed, with an immediacy and precision that is refreshing.

It is not an M3, but it gains something in being that. At the end of the day it's as least as good at doing what it is supposed to do as the M3 is. I have a suspicion that a lot of M3 owners feel that their financial commitment, enthusiasm for their car, and understanding of its capabilities are all threatened and undercut by the 1M. That's personal and not a valid basis for a proper evaluation of a really good car - and that is exactly what the 1M is.

Not giving the M Coupe a chance is your loss. BMW will sell all that they make. M Division will keep reeling in the great reviews. The Coupe owners will be unhesitatingly happy about their fortune. And they won't feel any need to trash the M3 since they know what they're talking about.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread