BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

SSII differences between just normal silver

How would you describe the SilverStone color for the new M3. I have never been a big fan of silver....just too plain....keep hearing that this is a sharp color and actually changes based on the light......any input?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89523

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110972

You should check if any showrooms have any SSII cars. The BMW showroom near me has an SSII coupe and the colour is stunning. I even seen the car on the road and it looks great.

Also, descriptions wont mean anything to you when making the choice, believe me. Check out the threads above for official pics and real-life shots of the colour. It might help you decide
      03-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Oh yeah there is ONE comment I would make. Others can chip in to agree or disageee...

In some pics you can hardly see any difference between SSII and Silver, but believe me I have never confused the colours in real-life, whether that be at a showroom or on the road. Not even the old SS colour on the M5.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
      03-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
I agree hks...

In real life, there is a very obvious blue tint to SSII, it does not look like silver. Some pics seem to lose this blue hue.

The car I test drove was SSII and I found it a little underwhelming, it just lacks that brilliance that you get from AW when the sun is out...It would probably be my second colour choice after AW however. It still preserves that lovely crease that extends down the side of the Coupe.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I have spent a lot of time looking at pictures and even went to the dealership to compare a Silverstone M5 to other BMW silver cars. It seems that all of the M specific colors depend quite a bit on the lighting and can change dramatically depending on the light source.

Under some conditions, SSII can look like Titanium Silver. However, even then it has a very subtle blue tint to it. Today I saw a SSII M3 Sedan under cloudy skies and it looked very blue when I stood right next to it. However, from a bit of a distance it looked less blue.

It's a great color. I was worried about it being too baby blue but I don't think this will be the case (and even if it is, the light will change and this will pass). Based on seeing the color in real life the spectrum of pictures in the SilverstoneII picture thread are a pretty good indication of the range of colors. Definitely different than titanium silver. I think I will be happy (and now don't have a choice).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Just spoke to a CA and he was saying that it is a girly color as well......I really need to find one....I'd like to have a unique color and not just plain silver but baby blue may be pushing it a bit.....
Appreciate 0