BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM
View Poll Results: How is your heel positioned during a gear change
My heel drags across the matt and stays on ground 8 16.33%
I lift my heel up for a smoother action 30 61.22%
I don't consciously think about it, could be both... 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

08-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

6MTers - A left foot shifting action poll

Want to see how many of you change gears with your heel dragging across the mat, verses how many have it off the floor. List your reasons below.

Cheers
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Off the floor. I don't know why but I find it very comfortable

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Neither. My heel is anchored to the mat and is a pivot.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Wait, I answered too quickly. After just mimicking how I shift, I realize I drag my heel most of the time. I guess touching the mat gives it a better reference of position.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeatsworld View Post
Interesting. I tried this today (Hadn't even read your post) - It works but you need the PERFECT seating position to pull it off.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

I find on my car that the clutch pedal is so light, and grab point is sooo close to the top of the pedal travel that I only need to place my foot on the pedal and hardly apply any effort in order to shift. So lately I've been trying to just keep my heel on the floor and pivot about it.

Earlier, I was doing like I do on my other cars, and lift my foot and push the clutch in, and with the light flywheel on this car, I was getting jerky shifts, up and down, despite rev matching. I first took out the assist springs, which made it better, but then realizes that I don't even need to depress the pedal that much to where they come into play. I only have just under 5K miles, so I'm sure as the clutch wears, my method of pressing the clutch will change soon.

Anyway, I have my ultimate pedals on order, as well as the illuminated ZHP knob and a tri-color stitched leather boot. If those don't get it to where I want it to be, then I'll get the Rogue Octane as well.

Sorry to go off topic, but this car would be so much more fun to drive if they put in a better 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Ultimate pedals? Sounds intriguing.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
piloto
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Ultimate pedals? Sounds intriguing.
Here's a set on a Z4:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392513

The M3 versions would be the same. The one in the photo in the link above is the upper extension version of the throttle. You can get an entire side extension or lower extension as well. I got all three pedals, and should have them by next week. I can't wait.

And here's the website:
http://www.ultimatepedals.com/
You can select from numerous textures. I find the texture on the stock pedals to be too grippy, so it makes it difficult to slide your foot towards the right side of the brake pedal in otder to blip the throttle.

And becuase the on the throttle the aluminum pedal would sit on top of the existing pedal, whereas on the brake the aluminum would replace the rubber cover, the throttle pedal's face will be more "in plane" with the brake pedal, making it even easier to heel and toe.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Here's a set on a Z4:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392513

The M3 versions would be the same. The one in the photo in the link above is the upper extension version of the throttle. You can get an entire side extension or lower extension as well. I got all three pedals, and should have them by next week. I can't wait.

And here's the website:
http://www.ultimatepedals.com/
You can select from numerous textures. I find the texture on the stock pedals to be too grippy, so it makes it difficult to slide your foot towards the right side of the brake pedal in otder to blip the throttle.

And becuase the on the throttle the aluminum pedal would sit on top of the existing pedal, whereas on the brake the aluminum would replace the rubber cover, the throttle pedal's face will be more "in plane" with the brake pedal, making it even easier to heel and toe.
Ahh nice. I actually have the ZCP OEM Alum. Pedals which look similar but have dual insert with a plastic backing. I had them in my 135i and grew to love them.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
piloto
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ahh nice. I actually have the ZCP OEM Alum. Pedals which look similar but have dual insert with a plastic backing. I had them in my 135i and grew to love them.
The best bit about the ultimate pedals is the extension option, especially the upper extension. The BMW aluminum pedals don't do much in that sense. It's certainly possible to heel and toe without any of this, but it sure makes it easier and thus more fun. Not to mention safer and better for the track.

And congrats on your new car. Looks beautiful....even with the wheel on the wrong side and all.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #11
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I had an extended gas pedal until I found that I couldn't reliably "miss" the throttle during emergency stops at a driving skills school. Day-to-day was fine, but I would clip it too frequently with the side of my foot when asked to do a spontaneous stop to be comfortable.

Oh, I lift off the mat and control the clutch pedal motion with my upper leg muscles as I find this smoother. I rest my foot on the dead pedal when not shifting, to avoid resting on the pedal, which is bad for the clutch.
      09-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I tried this today (Hadn't even read your post) - It works but you need the PERFECT seating position to pull it off.
I should have mentioned that I used my leg to step on and the above to release. That was the smoothest way for me to drive.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
I had an extended gas pedal until I found that I couldn't reliably "miss" the throttle during emergency stops at a driving skills school. Day-to-day was fine, but I would clip it too frequently with the side of my foot when asked to do a spontaneous stop to be comfortable.

Oh, I lift off the mat and control the clutch pedal motion with my upper leg muscles as I find this smoother. I rest my foot on the dead pedal when not shifting, to avoid resting on the pedal, which is bad for the clutch.
+1

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #14
N8dawg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0