BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

10-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #1211
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I'm gone off a few times but the PCA/POC/BMW CCA crowd doesn't like offs...they have a 3 strikes and you are done for the weekend policy.
yeah some do that out here...
I was kidding around but there definitely is truth to it

not saying you directly just in general if you never go past the limit, how do you really know where the limit is?
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #1212
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
BMW CCA crowd doesn't like offs...they have a 3 strikes and you are done for the weekend policy.
Actually, I'm going to pipe in and amend that.

It's not that BMW CCA don't like offs. We don't really care that much if participant goes off. What we don't like, is driving OUT OF CONTROL. If you go 2 off or 4 off, we black-flag you to come in primarily because we want you to cool off, and collect yourself, and make sure there are no mechanical issues.

If we send you back out, and you have another off immediately? Then we know you're not in full control of your car, regardless of your speed. That, we have a problem with.

I recall, long time ago, I drove with "The Carl." If you don't know who I am talking about, don't worry about it. Carl was the chief instructor for the school and he rode with me. 3rd session I was pushing pretty hard, clipped the exit to bus-stop at full speed/high throttle, and this is before they repaved so that curb was very tall, spat the car out sideways at the exit of bus-stop, shot the car straight out into the toxic Buttonwillow dirt. Acknowledged the black flag at the sweeper and pitted.

Pulled into the pit, expecting Carl to give me his famous "at what speed did you run out of talent" speech. To my surprise, he looked around the car, made sure nothing is wrong, and sent me back out. Later in the day he even signed me off to go solo.

In my shock I never asked why he did so knowing I had nearly spun and gone 4 off. Looking back, I can only assume/surmise that he was okay with me going back out by myself at that point because I've demonstrated that I was in full control and knew what I was doing, and was able to continue to "push" without endangering myself and those around me despite the off.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #1213
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherStogie View Post

not saying you directly just in general if you never go past the limit, how do you really know where the limit is?
That's the thing, I don't know that I try to go past the limit. It's just too nice and expensive of a car to take that risk for me, way more downside than upside in my opinion (I guess it's the CPA in me). I'm fine with only being able to tap into 7/10th of the car's full potential. Besides, the car is more a street car that is driven regularly than it is a dedicated track car. I'd probably be more willing to take the risk of exploring the limits with an S2000, EVO, E46/92 M3, or even a Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #1214
M4isKing
Banned
Rep
Drives: no torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherStogie View Post

That's the thing, I don't know that I try to go past the limit. It's just too nice and expensive of a car to take that risk for me, way more downside than upside in my opinion (I guess it's the CPA in me). I'm fine with only being able to tap into 7/10th of the car's full potential. Besides, the car is more a street car that is driven regularly than it is a dedicated track car. I'd probably be more willing to take the risk of exploring the limits with an S2000, EVO, E46/92 M3, or even a Cayman.
didnt you say you surpassed the limits of your tires earlier?!

street car?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #1215
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Dun, dun, dun, nemesis strikes again.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #1216
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4isKing View Post
didnt you say you surpassed the limits of your tires earlier?!

street car?
Not sure what's funny. My car is a fully legal street car with full interior and lots of options which I drive the car on the street 90% of the time with an occasional DE track weekend with PCA/POC. Yes i have hit the limit with my street tires, which have a 220 wear rating. Besides, I've already bent an OEM 19" inch wheel when I had my non-RS with RS3s on the track so I don't feel like doing it again. Not sure why you keep beating a dead horse. You are free to do what you want with your car at the track as I am with me, just accept it and move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #1217
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Dun, dun, dun, nemesis strikes again.
More like a troll than a nemesis.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #1218
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what's funny. My car is a fully legal street car with full interior and lots of options which I drive the car on the street 90% of the time with an occasional DE track weekend with PCA/POC. Yes i have hit the limit with my street tires, which have a 220 wear rating. Besides, I've already bent an OEM 19" inch wheel when I had my non-RS with RS3s on the track so I don't feel like doing it again. Not sure why you keep beating a dead horse. You are free to do what you want with your car at the track as I am with me, just accept it and move on.
I'm not telling you what to do with your car, but the shit you say just doesn't make sense. That is all. I will move on now.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #1219
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4isKing View Post
I'm not telling you what to do with your car, but the shit you say just doesn't make sense. That is all. I will move on now.
I will agree with that. Seems like a fully sorted track toy. Sure you might drive it on the street but your shipping it around to tracks and using slicks and exceeding the tires limit but only driving 8/10ths with tc on. I see some mixed messages for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #1220
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I will agree with that. Seems like a fully sorted track toy. Sure you might drive it on the street but your shipping it around to tracks and using slicks and exceeding the tires limit but only driving 8/10ths with tc on. I see some mixed messages for sure.
hahaha It's a highly optioned RS with navi, front lift, sound plus, etc that's about 100lbs heavier than an average low option RS with OEM seats and nothing taken out....how is that a track car? I go to about 6-8 track weekends a year and I use my shop to do "arrive and drive" because it's more convenient plus I don't rack up the miles on the car since the tracks are about 170-200 miles door to door. Yes, I'm shipping it to COTA next year because I don't have time to drive it 2 days each way. I've never run slicks, I've run R6s ONCE and have ran NT01/RA1s 95% of the time. If I wanted a real track toy, I'd get a true track car...a CUP CAR. Come to Orange County, you'll see me driving the RS around almost every weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #1221
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
hahaha It's a highly optioned RS with navi, front lift, sound plus, etc that's about 100lbs heavier than an average low option RS with OEM seats and nothing taken out....how is that a track car? I go to about 6-8 track weekends a year and I use my shop to do "arrive and drive" because it's more convenient plus I don't rack up the miles on the car since the tracks are about 170-200 miles door to door. Yes, I'm shipping it to COTA next year because I don't have time to drive it 2 days each way. I've never run slicks, I've run R6s ONCE and have ran NT01/RA1s 95% of the time. If I wanted a real track toy, I'd get a true track car...a CUP CAR. Come to Orange County, you'll see me driving the RS around almost every weekend.
we talking about 100lbs now? its only street legal because porsche put in the minimum to make it that. a cup car? wow. thats a full on professional racing car. this is utter ridiculousness at this point.

compare that to 3600lbs we are carrying around.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #1222
CalSE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not sure if already posted somewhere.

What has been your experience on the new BRP pavement relative to the 13CW configuration? X seconds faster, different race lines, potholes, etc.

Weather is getting cooler, and I am planning to run 13CW soon.:-)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #1223
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSE View Post

What has been your experience on the new BRP pavement relative to the 13CW configuration? X seconds faster, different race lines, potholes, etc.

I mentioned above that the new pavement is running 1-2 seconds faster for most people now that the new pavement is curing. Right after it was installed, it was slower, but now that its curing it's getting faster each time I go.

They laid 3" of pavement on top of the existing track. But they didn't increase the berms nearly as much, so the relative height of the berms is down. This makes Cotton Corners, Bus Stop, the Esses and Sunset easier to run over than they used to be.

Some spots on the track were not fantastic after the new pavement, but the track people have been grinding and grooming and sealing the spots they've been identifying as continued problems. It's smoothing things out, although I will say that Off Ramp was looking a bit odd last weekend. There was some white marks on it that just made it look beat up.

Anyway, as the weather continues to cool and the pavement cures further, I think even faster times are on the horizon. I was stuck at 1:57.5 for a year. In the last visit, I dropped to 1:55.1. I do think I'm approaching the track about .5 faster than I was before, and the track is around 2 seconds faster.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #1224
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone
Quote:

I mentioned above that the new pavement is running 1-2 seconds faster for most people now that the new pavement is curing. Right after it was installed, it was slower, but now that its curing it's getting faster each time I go.

They laid 3" of pavement on top of the existing track. But they didn't increase the berms nearly as much, so the relative height of the berms is down. This makes Cotton Corners, Bus Stop, the Esses and Sunset easier to run over than they used to be.

Some spots on the track were not fantastic after the new pavement, but the track people have been grinding and grooming and sealing the spots they've been identifying as continued problems. It's smoothing things out, although I will say that Off Ramp was looking a bit odd last weekend. There was some white marks on it that just made it look beat up.

Anyway, as the weather continues to cool and the pavement cures further, I think even faster times are on the horizon. I was stuck at 1:57.5 for a year. In the last visit, I dropped to 1:55.1. I do think I'm approaching the track about .5 faster than I was before, and the track is around 2 seconds faster.
it did feel a lot grippier. not sure if it was going the wrong way but it did. or i was going too slow lol
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #1225
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
PIRC Hot Laps

I don't think a lot of you are familiar with this track. It used to be called Beaverun. It's about 40 minutes outside of Pittsburgh and they are currently building a south extension which will bring the track to 3.4 miles total (currently 1.8 miles). Very nice facility and

Here are a couple of laps from last week-end.

Best time is around 1:08:50 (based on video, my timer decided to quit on me).

Setup:
2013 E92 M3 6MT
Track: Pittsburgh International Race Complex
Best Lap Time: 1:08:50 (video)
Brakes: Stock, PFC11, SRF, SS lines
Tires: Michelin PSS Front:255/35/19 Back:275/35/19
Suspension: ZCP w/ EDC pins pulled.
Other Mods: Euro MDM

Enjoy,

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #1226
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0o0fy View Post
I don't think a lot of you are familiar with this track. It used to be called Beaverun. It's about 40 minutes outside of Pittsburgh and they are currently building a south extension which will bring the track to 3.4 miles total (currently 1.8 miles). Very nice facility and

Here are a couple of laps from last week-end.

Best time is around 1:08:50 (based on video, my timer decided to quit on me).

Setup:
2013 E92 M3 6MT
Track: Pittsburgh International Race Complex
Best Lap Time: 1:08:50 (video)
Brakes: Stock, PFC11, SRF, SS lines
Tires: Michelin PSS Front:255/35/19 Back:275/35/19
Suspension: ZCP w/ EDC pins pulled.
Other Mods: Euro MDM

Enjoy,

Nice video. How do you like euro MDM compare to US MDM?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #1227
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Nice video. How do you like euro MDM compare to US MDM?
I haven't had a lot of experience with US-MDM as I coded the car almost immediately. I have experienced a little bit with different settings in Euro-MDM (see Euro MDM Coefficient of Friction). I still find it quite intrusive and usually disable it when Autocrossing. I just need to find the guts to disable it on the track and see the kind of improvement it can lead to in terms of lap time.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #1228
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Thanks man! Yeah, you know…..the first time I visited Buttonwillow in Jan 2012 (my second ever track day), my fastest lap was a 2:29…….I've learned quite a lot since then.

And that AP Racing kit I bought from you really has served me well! It's been the MOST trouble free and most reliable mod on the car.
That is so rewarding to sell a great BBK like that to someone who actually uses it to its potential. Great work!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #1229
CalSE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone
Quote:

Thanks Gabe. See you at the track soon.:-)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #1230
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

I know its not an M3 but I got this a few months ago after my E92 M3 where I ran
1:59:2 without aero at BW13 and 1:57:7 w/ aero both on RS3

1:53:7
2010 ZR1 - first time tracking it! and first time at BW since repave
Akra Mufflers
Hoosier R6 on their 6th day

Also drove 100% Stock 991 Carrera 4s and ran 2:00

ZR1 video
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6

Last edited by TheKosherStogie; 11-03-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #1231
335igawnM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 red

I'd thought I'd share this:

2011 e90 M3 US Spec

Engine: Stock
Suspension: Standard M suspension NON EDC
Wheels and tires: ZCP wheels Michelin PSS 255/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear
Transmission: 7spd DCT
Euro MDM on

Track: Nurburgring

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #1232
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Took out two cars to Buttonwillow this past weekend with PCA SD...

Car: 997.2 GT3 RS
Track: Buttonwillow 13CW
Best Lap Time: 1:52.68
Brakes: Stock, Endless MA45Bs, Motul, SS lines
Tires: 10 heat cycle R6s...245/40/18 & 335/30/18
Suspension: Ohlin D&T with monoball pieces

Car: 987.2 Cayman S PDK
Track: Buttonwillow 13CW
Best Lap Time: 2:05.52
Brakes: Stock, Endless ME20s, Motul
Tires: Pirelli P-zeros...235/35/19 & 265/35/19
Suspension: Stock