BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Alf_M3post
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

The most powerful tail exhaust

Hi great fans!

I´m kind of confuse and I need your expertise and good trained ears : )

I´m looking after a classification to take a decision about what´s the most powerful slip-on exhaust solution, and If you know it by any reference. Nowaday I would not consider to change the X-pipe.

Therefore what exhaust makers tell with their specs is aprox:
  1. Remus / Like the sound y tail shape +5-7hp
  2. RPi / Like the price and gains +10 hp ! [1 vote]
  3. UUC / Like the sound, but gains? + hp´s?
  4. AA / Like the claimed power +12-15 hp
  5. Eissenman / Love the sound +14 hp
  6. Gintani / Uncertain claimed gains +14-6hp [2 vote]
  7. Dinan / Nice sound [2 vote] +6 hp [2 vote] NO drone
  8. IMHO /All about sound but no gains [1 vote]

* Can anybody confirm these BHP´s values with any reference?
* What´s the most powerful but quieter ?

Thank you so much for your help in advance

Last edited by Alf_M3post; 11-16-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
m603
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: avoiding pot holes

I'm running remus race w/ fabspeed x-pipe and I don't feel much difference in power maybe just a tiny bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
phusion974
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: OE Tuned C63

From what I have seen and heard. The Gintani exhaust is the best looking, sounding and puts out the most HP out of any exhaust ive seen on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Alf_M3post
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
From what I have seen and heard. The Gintani exhaust is the best looking, sounding and puts out the most HP out of any exhaust ive seen on the M3.
Any test that you know?
Tx!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I'd first eliminate any that uses the stock connecting pipes.

After that, I'd say many make power using a straight through design.

Out of those, RPi, Gintani, Eisenmann(non-stock connecting pipes), Dinan make power for sure over stock.

RPi and Gintani make more than Eisenmann and Dinan for sure, but a quality x-pipe + good software will yield you the most assuming it's paired with a free flowing straight through design rear end.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

you won't get much power from just a rear muffler it would be more for weight saving and sound. when i put the dinan rear only on i did feel a little bump in power but not much, it does sound awesome though and it doesn't drone. when i added the dinan mid pipe that is where the power came in and i really felt a difference
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
for the rear section only?
      11-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Dinan sounds perfect with zero drone....a bit lighter than stock too. Certainly does not feel slower. = )
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Gintani makes the power for sure. I'll bet it puts out a couple more horses than my MXP. MXP is a nice choice too.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

After pondering the same question I concluded that power gain differences between slip on exhausts are well within margin of error of dyno readings and I believe that all of them are more or less the same. Dinan and Akrapovic quote very conservative numbers. IMHO, forget about power, and focus on sound, look, quality. I am leaning towards Akrapovic, Einseman, or Dinan. Likely to go with Akra due to weight reduction.
      11-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Alf_M3post
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I'd first eliminate any that uses the stock connecting pipes.

After that, I'd say many make power using a straight through design.
Really interesting point I didn´t realize: the main gains from the tail section comes from the connecting pipes : )

The second point is that I´d change the X-pipe OR the tail. Both are too much noise for this boring country ; ) (fortunatelly we follow Alonso)

I´ll follow the thread talking about the tail exhaust and at the end, I´ll conclude the pros&cons of just changing the X-pipe

Tx a lot!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Alf_M3post
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
you won't get much power from just a rear muffler it would be more for weight saving and sound. when i put the dinan rear only on i did feel a little bump in power but not much, it does sound awesome though and it doesn't drone. when i added the dinan mid pipe that is where the power came in and i really felt a difference
Key point as well: DRONE! In this way, Eissen get´s out of the game, isn´t it?

Tx!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Alf_M3post
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
After pondering the same question I concluded that power gain differences between slip on exhausts are well within margin of error of dyno readings and I believe that all of them are more or less the same. Dinan and Akrapovic quote very conservative numbers. IMHO, forget about power, and focus on sound, look, quality. I am leaning towards Akrapovic, Einseman, or Dinan. Likely to go with Akra due to weight reduction.

Good reference! I believe that certain makers are quite conservative in every niche market.

My point is that if I´d go for Akra, I´d only buy the X-pipe and done

Tx!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
ee8
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.40]
Maybe your best bet since you are in Spain would be to do the exhaust mod on your stock exhaust... from what I know it should be very simple to have a shop to it for you with less then 200€... then you have no drone nice sound stock look... maybe you just won´t have power gains but at 3 or 4hp won´t make any difference...

Here the link for a very informative thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320052
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #15
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

My recommendation is to go lighter than more powerful. I mean you are not going to feel 4-6hp anyway, but if the exhaust is more than 50% lighter that will translate into a better feel of power and acceleration! Just my opinion!

I have the full Dinan setup and love it. I had just the rear section first and it sounded great and had a small increase of power. I later installed the Dinan mid-pipe and the increase in power was definitely noticeable and this was prior to my S/C install. To unleash the most power trapped in the exhaust system you need to remove the cats. If you do that you can gain 30+hp with the proper tune!

Best of luck!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #16
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
This is exactly right. Although the fan boys on here will argue forever their exhaust makes more power. The minor weight difference of an exhaust has almost zero effect as well. You're fooling yourself if you think it does.
      11-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #17
emthreeboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

I think performance-wise, most aftermarket rear mufflers out there are better then stock. The stock rear mufflers connecting-pipes got some restriction from the design.

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Alf_M3post
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Thanks guys. But I´m not getting closer to the final decision : (
One thing I´m more clear about is that I´d consider buying an Akra X-pipe for power or a Tail for sound...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
randy McMann
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Remus H.P.

I still don't have the E92 of my dreams, but when I do get mine, I'm sticking with Remus. I've been researching this mod' for quite a while, and Remus says 10 H.P. over stock - peak - and a 63% decrease in back pressure w/ their Sport version. They said they still don't have an actual before and after dyno comparison on their Race version, but they're sure it would be slightly more. These are strictly axle back splice ons. I'm leaning toward Remus Sport with Fabspeed X pipe front resonator delete. But ya know, I've got my E36 M3 so dialed, I'm not sure i'm gonna switch up - still love that thing. RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_M3post View Post
Hi great fans!

I´m kind of confuse and I need your expertise and good trained ears : )

I´m looking after a classification to take a decision about what´s the most powerful slip-on exhaust solution, and If you know it by any reference. Nowaday I would not consider to change the X-pipe.

Therefore what exhaust makers tell with their specs is aprox:
  1. Remus / Like the sound y tail shape +5-7hp
  2. RPi / Like the price and gains +10 hp ! [1 vote]
  3. UUC / Like the sound, but gains? + hp´s?
  4. AA / Like the claimed power +12-15 hp
  5. Eissenman / Love the sound +14 hp
  6. Gintani / Uncertain claimed gains +14-6hp [2 vote]
  7. Dinan / Nice sound [2 vote] +6 hp [2 vote] NO drone
  8. IMHO /All about sound but no gains [1 vote]

* Can anybody confirm these BHP´s values with any reference?
* What´s the most powerful but quieter ?

Thank you so much for your help in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
Alf_M3post
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy McMann View Post
I still don't have the E92 of my dreams, but when I do get mine, I'm sticking with Remus. I've been researching this mod' for quite a while, and Remus says 10 H.P. over stock - peak - and a 63% decrease in back pressure w/ their Sport version. They said they still don't have an actual before and after dyno comparison on their Race version, but they're sure it would be slightly more. These are strictly axle back splice ons. I'm leaning toward Remus Sport with Fabspeed X pipe front resonator delete. But ya know, I've got my E36 M3 so dialed, I'm not sure i'm gonna switch up - still love that thing. RM
The X-pipe of my dreams is the Akra one with the Cell Deletion toy to avoid the annoying warning light.

I thinks this topics it´s been greatly discussed and now my question is:
How complicated is to change just the X-pipe and to put it on place again before the car need to pass the traffic inspection? It seems not too complicated. Does it properly works the Deletion Cell kit?

Thanks and regards
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

there is no way that you will be able to feel a difference from just an axle-back exhaust....you should simply base your decision on the sound/look you like most.....for me it was the meisterschaft, heres a clip:

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #22
NatAsp-M3
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
there is no way that you will be able to feel a difference from just an axle-back exhaust....you should simply base your decision on the sound/look you like most.....
100% agreed. People who think they can feel HP from a rear-only exhaust are blowing bubbles. Those numbers are so inflated and unsubstantiated. Anyone who knows exhausts will tell you you'd be LUCKY to get 4 or 5 hp out of any of these. Comparing that list of HP increases is a joke.

Anyway, I don't see why you'd do this when you can get more hp out of an x-pipe/secondary cat delete and you'll get more sound simultaneously.

e90M3, sold: Akrapovic // Brembo // VRS // Eisenmann // Advan RS // ESS // Challenge
Appreciate 0