BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

09-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #23
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I've had three STis and an Evo X all as track cars. Here are my thoughts:

1) Subaru pistons are GARBAGE. I honestly have lost count of the number of '07-'10 STis that I've seen with cracked ringlands.

2) To get reliable track performance from the STi you MUST install a catch can.

3) STis gain HP easily, but the gearing leaves a lot to be desired in terms of consistent acceleration.

4) On the track the Subies AWD does not have an advantage over an M3. I have proven this to my Subie friends over and over again. MDM is a god send for a 400+ rear wheel drive cars.

5) The M exudes class and quality, whereas the STi has some great performance parts, but everything else goes budget status after that.

6) Honestly the cars couldn't be more different. Is it even worth comparing??
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #24
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I have respect for STis but it looks odd to me that someone with the name "M3LOL" is coming on an m3 forum to garner respect from m3 owners so he can feel better about himself. Let me make a screen name "STisSuck" and go on NASIOC and see what they think of m3s.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #25
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

This guys a troll don't listen to him

JK JK

Anyways, OP is a really good friend of mine, we've done countless canyon runs/pulls/car related stuff ect. He might seem like a troll online specially w/ that user name ( ) but he actually has respect towards BMW's (as weird as that might sound), couple of days ago i let him drive my brothers 335 and you could tell how big of an impact the small minor detail's made. Literally his sti and the 335 are HEAD TO HEAD in a straight line, from the dig/roll, but this was still before he had the chance to drive it, after he drove it, lets just say that he would probably change his username if he knew how to
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #26
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
M3 owners are so gullible when it comes to trolls. Guys, start a zoo and feed them there.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #27
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
M3 owners are so gullible when it comes to trolls. Guys, start a zoo and feed them there.
I took it as an opportunity to actually post some meaningful information based on real world experience, as did powertrip. You, on the other hand, haven't contributed anything to the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #28
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
that doesn't perpetuate the inferiority complex at all!

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #29
M3LOL
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I took it as an opportunity to actually post some meaningful information based on real world experience, as did powertrip. You, on the other hand, haven't contributed anything to the conversation.
Thanks man for seeing as what it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
M3LOL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
I have respect for STis but it looks odd to me that someone with the name "M3LOL" is coming on an m3 forum to garner respect from m3 owners so he can feel better about himself. Let me make a screen name "STisSuck" and go on NASIOC and see what they think of m3s.
So I came here looking for you guys to stroke my ego? Buddy, your saying that what m3 owners have to say is so important to the lowly sti owner that i went out of my way to get in their good graces. try not to see too much into it, i was just curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #31
M3LOL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post

JK JK

Anyways, OP is a really good friend of mine, we've done countless canyon runs/pulls/car related stuff ect. He might seem like a troll online specially w/ that user name ( ) but he actually has respect towards BMW's (as weird as that might sound), couple of days ago i let him drive my brothers 335 and you could tell how big of an impact the small minor detail's made. Literally his sti and the 335 are HEAD TO HEAD in a straight line, from the dig/roll, but this was still before he had the chance to drive it, after he drove it, lets just say that he would probably change his username if he knew how to
that 335's sweet haha, sounds SOOO badass

(bet you wish it was yours)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #32
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
whats an sti?
You get an STD from someone else, you get an STI on your own when you don't wash your hand first.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #33
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post

JK JK

To "335LOL"?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #34
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
I'm sure most M3 buyers cross shop Subaru's with BMW before they buy, just the way Mercedes buyers cross shop Honda, and Audi buyers cross shop Suzuki.
I had a really hard time deciding. After all, take away the leather interior, Sports seats, 414HP NA V8, carbon roof, EDC suspension, DCT transmission, and the ability to program all that to "M Mode, and you almost have a Subaru. And the STI is such a class act, with the modern spoiler and all. It doesn't scream wanna be racer at all.
In the end, I blew it and went for the M3. If my parents still gave me an allowance I would have bought an STI though, so I could have spent it modding the STI and revving my engine every time I pulled up next to an M3.
I should frame this response. Perfect!

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #35
301Bimmer9
It's Playtime
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
I'm sure most M3 buyers cross shop Subaru's with BMW before they buy, just the way Mercedes buyers cross shop Honda, and Audi buyers cross shop Suzuki.
I had a really hard time deciding. After all, take away the leather interior, Sports seats, 414HP NA V8, carbon roof, EDC suspension, DCT transmission, and the ability to program all that to "M Mode, and you almost have a Subaru. And the STI is such a class act, with the modern spoiler and all. It doesn't scream wanna be racer at all.
In the end, I blew it and went for the M3. If my parents still gave me an allowance I would have bought an STI though, so I could have spent it modding the STI and revving my engine every time I pulled up next to an M3.
Pretty much accurate except that Benz people test drive the C63 head to head against the mitsubishi evo.

Seriously I dont get any of the M3 vs. threads. There is no point in trying to convince someone else that one car is better than the other (335 vs. M3 ) as each person bought what they wanted given price was not the issue. If you are happy with an Sti, 335, Civic, Porsche, GTR whatever you have then good for you. I wish I was happy with a Hyundai though my financial planner and fiance would be too. But F it we live once
      09-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #36
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

I want my 10 minutes back... I could have been smoking a cigarette or something.

It's true that us M3 owners seem a little sensitive to these comparisons, but I think it's because we spent a good amount of $ on a really nice car and then some clown implies that a $35K Subaru is better. Don't get me wrong... I really like the STI. I've thought about buying one more than once. They are REALLY fun cars. But lets be honest... The STI is a pumped up economy car. It feels like a tin can compared to a BMW. I drove a chipped Subaru Legacy for a year and I dumped it and got a 540 cuz I couldn't stand how cheap it felt. I feel the same way about my Honda Accord. It's a nice car, but when I get out of that and into the M3, it's literally worlds apart. Regardless of performance, that's why I buy BMWs.

Just my .02.
      09-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #37
M3LOL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
I want my 10 minutes back... I could have been smoking a cigarette or something.

It's true that us M3 owners seem a little sensitive to these comparisons, but I think it's because we spent a good amount of $ on a really nice car and then some clown implies that a $35K Subaru is better. Don't get me wrong... I really like the STI. I've thought about buying one more than once. They are REALLY fun cars. But lets be honest... The STI is a pumped up economy car. It feels like a tin can compared to a BMW. I drove a chipped Subaru Legacy for a year and I dumped it and got a 540 cuz I couldn't stand how cheap it felt. I feel the same way about my Honda Accord. It's a nice car, but when I get out of that and into the M3, it's literally worlds apart. Regardless of performance, that's why I buy BMWs.

Just my .02.
No arguments from me with this statement. I am definitely not trying to convince anyone an sti is better than an m3, especially an m3 forum, it is NOT a better car. It is a rattle-box w/ a shit stereo and not many amenities, I will be the first to admit that. But pure performance it is not that far off of the m3.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #38
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LOL View Post
But pure performance it is not that far off of the m3.
They both have rubber tires too.

And the "pure performance" of an M3 is not far off a base Aston, Maserati, or Audi A8. So what's your point? I seriously doubt any M3 owners would go to an Aston/Maserati site to make comparisons.
Which begs to bring up another comparison. A LOT of STI owners seem to only know about a limited amount of numbers, and stop light races. Oh yeah... they also know about popping pimples, because that is the typical age group of STI owners.

How about taking your STI to an EVO forum and making comparisons?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #39
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
honda civic STI
i cant believe someone wants to compare a honda to a bmw M3? the next thing i hear is trying to compare a subaru or an izuzu to an M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #40
richardallen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

I had a Subaru STi. And I got to say its one of the best cars I have own.

The M3 would beat the STi hands down any day in the looks department. So lets not debate on that.

The performance of both cars, I would say depending on the course.

If you are in a track with longs of big sweepers and straights. The m3 would take it.

But if you are in a tight uphill or downhill course and with continuous S bends, the STi would be a better car. I feel the weight of the car is a disadvantage for such a course. I have done some uphill and downhill runs on the same course with different cars (all stock) and I rank them according to my time - Cayenne S pdk, lotus exige, sti, m3 and bentley gt.

2 different cars really
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #41
M3LOL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallen View Post
I had a Subaru STi. And I got to say its one of the best cars I have own.

The M3 would beat the STi hands down any day in the looks department. So lets not debate on that.

The performance of both cars, I would say depending on the course.

If you are in a track with longs of big sweepers and straights. The m3 would take it.

But if you are in a tight uphill or downhill course and with continuous S bends, the STi would be a better car. I feel the weight of the car is a disadvantage for such a course. I have done some uphill and downhill runs on the same course with different cars (all stock) and I rank them according to my time - Cayenne S pdk, lotus exige, sti, m3 and bentley gt.

2 different cars really
Yeah, i mean it seems the only people that think this is a valid comparo performance wise are people that have owned sti's. In many situations the m3 is the faster car, but there are situations where the sti will be faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:34 AM   #42
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I drove an 04 STi for 5 years, so I'm pretty qualified to answer.

Acceleration/Engine - very similar up to around 100ish, then the M3 will start to walk away.
Well that is not a very qualified answer. The WRX STI is a ~13 second car 0-100 mph, the M3 on the other hand is in the 10 second range. That a walloping if I've ever heard of one. Power to weight is not even in the same ballpark so these figures should be obvious.

Even with the relative launching avantage of AWD the STI also gets handily smoked in lower speed contests as well such as 0-60.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #43
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

This is really is in no way a fair comparison except from MAYBE a straight line acceleration standpoint?

The STi may come close to the M3 in a couple of catergories in which case it can be hailed as delivering good "bang for the buck" but the M3 is going to excel in just about every catergory because thats what the M3 was designed to do. And lets not even bring mods into the discussion no matter how cheap because then you start comparing apples to oranges imo.

The e9x M3 is a really solid GT that does many things well but you can always find other vehicles that do certain things better (at various price points) and that is the strength/weakness of the M3. You are never going to be the fastest in a straight line or the best cornering car at the track but you almost never will be blown away by someone in either of those instances either.

Thats my 2 cents!

-Mike

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #44
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

The guy's username is "M3LOL"
Appreciate 0