BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Say if one were to perform one too many LC launches with our DCT cars...

and the transmission somehow breaks or something explodes in the gearbox or differential, what are the chances that BMW Ultimate service will cover for repair/replacement of damaged transmission?

What I'm trying to get at is that BMW does place a built-in limiter as to how often you can use LC and even has preset conditions like time elapsed or mileage before LC can be used and intervals at which it can be used, so it's safe to say that this is an actual feature of the car as described in the owner's manual that the owner of the car can rightfully enjoy from time to time. The only expense to the owner should be wear items like tires and possibly the DCT's actual clutch plates. That's the way it should be right?

So if the differential or the gears of the DCT happen to explode in the process of enjoying one of your car's features within the constraints of when and how often it can be utilized, BMW should honor this as a warranty repair/replace item right?

I'm not going to go out and test this because I don't enjoy abusing my $70k car but I do believe this should be the way it is with BMW.

Well apparently, Nissan doesn't think so. It seems some unlucky owners have tried to enjoy their new GTR's launch control feature, broke something in the process, and Nissan has been denying warranty repair of failed transmissions/differentials because of a piece of fine print that says that if VDC (vehicle differential control) is deactivated (which is necessary in order to enable launch control, similar to how we have to disable DSC to enable LC), then Nissan will not damage from misuse by operating the vehicle with VDC off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow. Repair of the damaged transmission/differential to the tune of $20k coming out of the owner's wallet.

Check out this thread:
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361

WTF! This is ridiculous. How can Nissan market a performance car and its 0-60 in 3.4 seconds when the only way you can achieve such impressive figures is if you press a button in the car that will lead to denial of warranty repair.
      10-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
Lil. Lucas
Interlagos FTW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 86 E30 M3

In the USA at least, manufactures cant void your warranty for using a feature sold with the car..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

I have witnessed a like scenario here in Canada. A guy purchased a 2008 e93 M3 with DCT, and drove it from Montreal (I think - somewhere in the east, anyways) to Saskatchewan, thus fulfilling the break-in requirement. Shortly thereafter, he proceeded to flog the crap out of the car, to the tune of at least ten launches in one day, with the result being the transmission "blew up" (I do not have details regarding exactly what failed). The service technician was able to read exactly how many launches had been performed.

BMW is covering the replacement transmission under warranty - only problem was, there were apparently only TWO replacement DCT transmissions available in the WORLD, so he will be waiting for a while.

I got this directly from the dealership. Only makes sense - if it is a recognized feature available to you, how can they NOT cover it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

i'm actually surprised that bmw is covering that DCT tranmission. if they can tell that you abused it excessively i think that you can void your warranty. didn't this happen to someone else on the forum already? i am pretty sure that this has been discussed.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

What's BMW's position on this? We've never gotten un-crippled launch control in the US, so this probably hasn't really been tested yet (or maybe it has?). I sure hope BMW won't (can't) void our warrantees just for turning off DSC. I also hope they won't void a warrantee if LC is used responsibly either. My intention is to make LC a regular part of my spirited drives, but obviously if I am risking voiding the warranty just by using it once and a while I'll have to reconsider that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
is BMW really covering the tranny after being abused? This is good to know, if it's true!
I can confirm that BMW is covering this guy's transmission. Perhaps as it is one of the first failures due to launch control usage, they have not developed a "policy" to address such issues.

I suppose, as well, how does one delineate "excessive use"? Is it two launches per day? Ten? I think future owners' manuals may be changed to read something along the lines of "excessive usage.... blah, blah, blah..."

For now, I can't see how BMW could deny coverage, as it is a recognized feature, with no parameters outlined by the manual regarding maximum usage..... however, that day may well come
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 AW F10 M5

Unless he did some modification to the Engine, gearbox etc anything mechanical and related to the transmission failure, BMW have the right to void your warranty i guess.

from what i see with these warranty issue esp. Nissan floating around the internet, i think its really depends on what dealership u are dealing with and how strict their policies are. I have a frd who own a GTR in Southern CA, he abused his car pretty hard. drive it at track all the time and have his frd test it out on track etc... his transmission got a problem, 2nd 4th and 6th gears are gone... he took it to the dealership and they are willing to change his transmission without paying a dime. and my main point is, he isnt an active forum member, when this incident happens he never thought of posting issues on internet forums. So as for us, we will never really know there are cases where nissan dealership did replace a tranny under warranty.

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

09 INDxRENN-SPEC Project GT-R
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

It is an included feature with DCT that they can't deny a warranty service. There is no limitation that was written on how many times you can use the LC in DCT aside from the cooldown time for each use.
Appreciate 0