BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Australia vs. US cars

I came out the Sydney, Australia on a trip and being a car nut, I naturally checked out the cars here.

The general comment is why can GM North America / Ford North America NOT learn from GM / Ford Australia??!!?? There are very few Japanese cars here and the domestic Holdens and Fords are awesome. The Aussies really appreciate their V8s. In looking at the V8 Holdens (Pontiac G8) and the Ford Falcons, these cars are awesome. You can get one for the mid $30K with the V8s!

We in North America get the GM / Ford rubbish like the 500 (Taurus), Buick Lucerne. We get a multitude of stupid GM brands that don't mean anything to anyone under the age of 60. Focused product line with good products that is how GM / Ford need to fight back.

Rant off..... GM North America / Ford North America - get rid of your garbage cars and designers! Import more Holden cars like the Pontiac G8!

I only saw an E46 M3 while I was here.

BTW, the Aussies have a wierd obsession with V8 stationwagons and V8 half car / half pick up truck (think El Camino).
      08-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend all last summer driving around Australia (mostly in tiny econo-rentals, with the occasional 4WD rental for the more serious bush). I have fond memories of blasting along at 110 (or whatever 180 kph is) in a little Corolla between Alice and Tennant Creek - and damn near burying our Nissan Patrol in the bright red "bull dust" between Broome and Cape Leveque.

I agree about the tons of Holdens, though honestly they mostly seemed to be pretty much the same GM blah-mobiles you get back here.

The other observation is that they'll stick a caravan (aka trailer) on ANYTHING.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Bang for your BUCK performance from a BOSS V8 and I6T from the FORD Performance Vehicles group.

Now for the HSV's answer to the FPV's (Holden Special Vehicles)

LS3 V8

Yep we have it good down under
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
BTW, the Aussies have a wierd obsession with V8 stationwagons and V8 half car / half pick up truck (think El Camino).
hahaha the new VE SS-V wagon is currently the latest hype as its marketed towards people who want to buy sports SUV's so they can have best of both worlds. As for the pick up as you call it, we call it a ute as its a very popular alternative for cashed up builders/plumbers to put there tools in.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
kpcoupe
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

ya i completely agree, cars in countries outside the us seem better to me for some reason. In India, there a a car company called skoda, which is owned by VW. I thought those cars looked great! They should bring that to America.
      08-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
hahaha the new VE SS-V wagon is currently the latest hype as its marketed towards people who want to buy sports SUV's so they can have best of both worlds. As for the pick up as you call it, we call it a ute as its a very popular alternative for cashed up builders/plumbers to put there tools in.

I don't understand the obsession but I like it!

Lovely city and country.....
      08-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I came out the Sydney, Australia on a trip and being a car nut, I naturally checked out the cars here.

The general comment is why can GM North America / Ford North America NOT learn from GM / Ford Australia??!!?? There are very few Japanese cars here and the domestic Holdens and Fords are awesome. The Aussies really appreciate their V8s. In looking at the V8 Holdens (Pontiac G8) and the Ford Falcons, these cars are awesome. You can get one for the mid $30K with the V8s!

We in North America get the GM / Ford rubbish like the 500 (Taurus), Buick Lucerne. We get a multitude of stupid GM brands that don't mean anything to anyone under the age of 60. Focused product line with good products that is how GM / Ford need to fight back.

Rant off..... GM North America / Ford North America - get rid of your garbage cars and designers! Import more Holden cars like the Pontiac G8!

I think the issue is the consumers continue to buy the cars. I have no idea why. I have not considered an American car worth buying since the early 70's.

The truck market has always been their strong suit. With the economy in the tank and truck sales down, it will become clear that they won't survive on the car offering they have.
      08-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

They figure Americans will buy this to get their truck craving, but still get a car.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:

Everything you mentioned, all of it, can be completely confirmed by me too. I noticed that last summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
The Aussies really appreciate their V8s. In looking at the V8 Holdens (Pontiac G8) and the Ford Falcons, these cars are awesome. You can get one for the mid $30K with the V8s!
I dunno about the mid 30k price bro but, I do know the taxes over there are really high. I mean really really high......I have been there so I know
      08-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
I dunno about the mid 30k price bro but, I do know the taxes over there are really high. I mean really really high......I have been there so I know

10% Value Added Tax (GST) and it is quoted with any price.....