BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

EXXEL Distributions

05-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Arg! Xbox 2 Ring Overheating issue!

Any easy and fast solutions to fix this?

Background:
My 360 was the old "Core" version with the Zepher motherboard. It was the holiday bundle back in October 2007. So I thought I was able to dodge the initial batch of consoles that overheated constantly.

So after 4 years of playing, i finally got the 2 rings overheating issue. I read a few tutorials online, and I decided there's no way I'm doing the heat glue stuff or the X Clamp stuff. (I just dont' have the time and patience to do this)

I figure I might as well try this:

1. open it up and clean the dust off
2. but if that doesn't work, should I just do it the ghetto way and just play it with an open case? A few people have resorted to that method...

what did you guys do?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

A can of air should be enough to get all the dust out.

If you never taken xbox 360 apart, its a bicth and a half.

You can also get this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112196
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

have you been successful in simply clearing the dust and then everything is back to normal?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

2 rings > 3 rings
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
have you been successful in simply clearing the dust and then everything is back to normal?

Nope.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Lemans Blue 135is

Take it to your local Asian owned game stop like place and they will fix it for you with a slight warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHegeRm View Post
Take it to your local Asian owned game stop like place and they will fix it for you with a slight warranty.
Yup, us white people have no idea what we are doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
Yup, us white people have no idea what we are doing.
Actually most people don't have the soldering equipment needed for the repair, and saying Game Place which is a California chain will be of no help, was trying to differentiate between the chains and locally owned shops.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Overheating has nothing to do with the soldering - soldering is necessary when the components pop off the board due to the brittle solder, yielding one red light and an error message or the three red lights.

OP, you can try dusting it with an air duster externally, but I really recommend cracking the thing open. It'll take you maybe five minutes if you've never done it before, and all of thirty seconds if you order the tool to pop out the rear tabs. You'll also need a Torx 10 screwdriver to detach the top of the case from the metal chassis. It's all pretty simple.

That being said, if you're going to do all that, you might as well do it properly. Use a Torx 8 screwdriver as well and remove the x-clamps. Clean the CPU and GPU off with 95% or higher isopropyl alcohol. Apply an appropriate amount of replacement thermal compound (Arctic Ceramique is easy to use and non-conductive, good paste to learn with) onto the dies, then mount the heatsinks back with a replacement bolt and washer setup. It's about a thirty minute job start to finish and will drastically drop the temperatures on both the CPU and GPU while greatly reducing the chances of the three red lights occurring in the future.

It's seriously quite easy and far more of a mechanical job than an electrical job - just disassembly and reassembly, no technical skills required.

EDIT: Just saw the comment about running the system with the top off. In my experience with one of my Xenon consoles, the system actually runs hotter with the case open. I guess the air doesn't dissipate as effectively.
      05-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #10
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHegeRm View Post
Actually most people don't have the soldering equipment needed for the repair, and saying Game Place which is a California chain will be of no help, was trying to differentiate between the chains and locally owned shops.
And once again. We, the white people dont own locally owned shops and have no idea how to use a soldering equipment.

FYI. Every race has people who dont know how to do something. I have many Asian friends, and many of them dont know how to do a lot of the things that i can do.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

i found a guy locally on Craigslist who fixes xbox360 issues. he also does the PS3 yellow light fix too.

He's charging me $40 with a warranty. He said 2 lights is tricky vs the RROD fix is pretty straight forward.

We'll see...if he can't fix it, he said there's no charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
And once again. We, the white people dont own locally owned shops and have no idea how to use a soldering equipment.
Well they certainly don't in SoCal. Maybe you should move here and open one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
i found a guy locally on Craigslist who fixes xbox360 issues. he also does the PS3 yellow light fix too.

He's charging me $40 with a warranty. He said 2 lights is tricky vs the RROD fix is pretty straight forward.

We'll see...if he can't fix it, he said there's no charge.
Don't believe that, I fix them as well 2 Lights is super easy. 2 lights just mean your CPU is overheating.. Either from dust backed on on your CPU heatsink or you need new compound, worse case is your just need to reflow your CPU with a heat gun.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
Toker335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i/Sold--10" GTR

2 red rings is actually easier to fix than 3 lol..

sometimes 2 red rings doesn't even require a reflow, just x-clamp fix with thermal paste..

3 red rings is almost always a GPU reflow.. not CPU

i've opened up hundreds of these, its really not hard, very easy to fix as well

08' 335i 6MT - Sold
92' NA 300ZX 5speed - Sold
06 IS350 - Sold
Appreciate 0