BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Anyone do ESS exhaust and Stage 2 tune

Anyone do ESS exhaust and Stage 2 tune, and do a Dyno, trying to figure out how much less HP then other systems like Akra, Evlove.
Thanks
      12-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I've done the ESS exhaust, and stage 2 tune but no dyno, It's a great system honestly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
I've done the ESS exhaust, and stage 2 tune but no dyno, It's a great system honestly.
Did you feel a pretty good HP increase? i like the system, but i feel if you cant add 30+hp/20+ ft lbs(w/Tune) its just worth buying a used Akra.
I also have Dinan intake,pulley, and BMP tune which will go to stage 2 with and exhaust.
      12-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Did you feel a pretty good HP increase? i like the system, but i feel if you cant add 30+hp/20+ ft lbs(w/Tune) its just worth buying a used Akra.
I also have Dinan intake,pulley, and BMP tune which will go to stage 2 with and exhaust.
The ESS is 1/2 the price of the Akra roughly, don't expect it to be like it. For the price, it acts like the Akra system in terms of sound, quality, and overall all pleasure.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

It would appear from the vast amouts of dynos in the database that all systems paired with a solid stage II tune will produce similar HP results so long as the primary cats are deleted on the xpipe. There will be little to no HP benefit beyond the primary cat deletes in an exhaust other than power to weight in the form of weight reduction.
      12-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Helped a couple buddies install Ess stg2 and full systems on their cars. They both sound amazing. Ill try to get some videos up.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Can't see why the ESS would make less power than the other primary cat delete + tune systems.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Can't see why the ESS would make less power than the other primary cat delete + tune systems.
Im not sure if it makes a difference, But the ESS deletes the Secondary Cat a replaces the primary cat with 200cel cats, anyone know how big of a difference the ESS config makes(or less) over a Akra style x pipe config
      12-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Grapesape
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral white m4

From what I understand, and it's not much, theirs is the only full system that will not trigger a CEL without a tune. Roman was telling me they are using a newly developed Swedish 200 cell cat. I have the full system and tune but left the CEL to function normally, and still haven't seen a CEL. I love it. Great tone!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Im not sure if it makes a difference, But the ESS deletes the Secondary Cat a replaces the primary cat with 200cel cats, anyone know how big of a difference the ESS config makes(or less) over a Akra style x pipe config
We have seen similar performance gains on our system to others we have tested but with gains in different parts of the RPM range at times. Without doing testing of several systems on the same car same day giving exact comparisons would be impossible. There is only so much power that can be made with exhaust modifications and we feel that we have extracted as much power out of the S65 that can be had while retaining a more aggressive tone free of excessive rasp or drone while also allowing OEM placement of the high flow cat in our HFC X-pipe. This design allows cars that run our tunes and our superchargers to be OBD emissions compliant in states that require frequent testing.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

I can tell you this much, I've had mine for 9-10 months and I would do it all over again if I was going to. I loved it so much, I bought it when it was first released to the public.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapesape
From what I understand, and it's not much, theirs is the only full system that will not trigger a CEL without a tune. Roman was telling me they are using a newly developed Swedish 200 cell cat. I have the full system and tune but left the CEL to function normally, and still haven't seen a CEL. I love it. Great tone!
Triggering the CEL mainly depends on how the vehicle is driven. You've got to go 20-30 mph for roughly 3 minutes as well as 40-60 mph for 4 minutes without exceeding 3000 rpm before it will usually trigger the light. This is the section in which catalyst monitoring is tested. Those that drive aggressively will prolong the light from appearing as large throttle fluctuations and operation above 3000 rpm can make the routines restart.

I just had to drive my e46 in these windows- pretty painful but it set readiness directly after. If the exhaust was modified it would have likely triggered the SES light instead of going ready.

This explains why some users do not see this light for awhile. Also, some of the 200cel systems are right on the brim, and may be more likely to trigger these faults as the cats age.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0