BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

This has been tempting me!

I've narrowed down my next car to two choices. The 135i OR the EVO X. Right now, 70% of me is leaning to the 1er coupe and the child inside of me is rooting for the EVO. After I drive them both we shall see. Thank god that new STI is not my cup of tea. I would have prefered the last gen sedan.

10-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Personally, I have always been an STi guy more so than an EVO guy. That said, I have not driven the new EVO, hopefully I will, but no matter what it is like, the 135i is going to be the more liveable machine. I have done the uncompromised driving machine thing and while some days, I was through the roof with excitement, every other day, I got tired of it. So, for me, I need something that will be relaxing when I need it to be, but exciting enough on a back road; that's what the 135i is.

But, for you, drive 'em both and see what you like.

BTW, I love the Recaros in the EVO. I really, really want those seats.
      10-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

I hope you can wait and drive both then decide, I'am no EVO or STi fan sure its fast but its not as good lookin as 135 .
      10-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Idealistic
Arrogant Elitist
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I've narrowed down my next car to two choices. The 135i OR the EVO X. Right now, 70% of me is leaning to the 1er coupe and the child inside of me is rooting for the EVO. After I drive them both we shall see. Thank god that new STI is not my cup of tea. I would have prefered the last gen sedan.

You and me both buddy. By the merits of the cars alone (on paper) i think the Evo pulls ahead of the bimmer, but I like to drive fast and it just seems so cliche for some 20something kid to be hauling ass around town in an evo/sti. The bimmer offers a similar experience but I don't look like a douche bag frat boy while doing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealistic View Post
You and me both buddy. By the merits of the cars alone (on paper) i think the Evo pulls ahead of the bimmer, but I like to drive fast and it just seems so cliche for some 20something kid to be hauling ass around town in an evo/sti. The bimmer offers a similar experience but I don't look like a douche bag frat boy while doing it.
Tell me about it. I would fit that cliche for the 20somethin in the Evo too well. I would be so much more comfy in the BMW interior though. You only live once, I can buy any Mitsubishi out there. Cant really buy any BMW, but the one I really like I can afford. So why not right?
      10-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Idealistic
Arrogant Elitist
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Tell me about it. I would fit that cliche for the 20somethin in the Evo too well. I would be so much more comfy in the BMW interior though. You only live once, I can buy any Mitsubishi out there. Cant really buy any BMW, but the one I really like I can afford. So why not right?
My first car I ever bought myself was some super base model e46 323i, it didn't even have real rims, just hubcaps. I got more respect and "props" in that car than i ever have in my brand new GTI. It just feels lower class with a little bit of off-color hippy thrown in. It is great fun to drive (minus the FWD part) but it doesn't help me pull off the image I want to go for. I think this thread sums up what I'm going for: http://preview.************/372ja8

I like to look like a successful douche bag, not a frat boy douche bag that is riding daddy's coat tails.
      10-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
I think this thread sums up what I'm going for: http://preview.************/372ja8
That is one of the funniest things I've read in quite a while... Reminded me of reading American Psycho for the 1st time (the movie never captured the true sickness of the Bateman character). The way he would do insane stuff while narrating the events in a matter-of-fact way. Priceless.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I like to look like a successful douche bag, not a frat boy douche bag that is riding daddy's coat tails.
Haha, same here! A VW was my first car so I do have a soft spot for them. I just fear that with an EVO I'm such a target for police and everyone is gonna want a piece of me. I have that problem now as it is in my s2k. At least with the 1 series I wont be so damn obvious. Hell I'm sure even a 128i is going to catch a few people off guard..lol
      10-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Idealistic
Arrogant Elitist
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Haha, same here! A VW was my first car so I do have a soft spot for them. I just fear that with an EVO I'm such a target for police and everyone is gonna want a piece of me. I have that problem now as it is in my s2k. At least with the 1 series I wont be so damn obvious. Hell I'm sure even a 128i is going to catch a few people off guard..lol
The 128i is no joke, it does 0-60 in ~6.1 if i remember correctly. Thats faster than my GTI was stock, and as fast or faster than about the entire first tier sports compact market (GTI, Civic SI, Cobalt SS, etc.). It could be a respectable little tuner car it's self. Seem the poor little guy gets forgotten by all of us min-maxers.
      10-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
The 128i is no joke, it does 0-60 in ~6.1 if i remember correctly. Thats faster than my GTI was stock, and as fast or faster than about the entire first tier sports compact market (GTI, Civic SI, Cobalt SS, etc.). It could be a respectable little tuner car it's self. Seem the poor little guy gets forgotten by all of us min-maxers.
Yes sir. Sadly it does get forgotten. But lets not forget that BMW overstates their acceleration times. I wouldnt be shocked if its faster than 6.1seconds.
      10-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I just fear that with an EVO I'm such a target for police and everyone is gonna want a piece of me. I have that problem now as it is in my s2k. At least with the 1 series I wont be so damn obvious. Hell I'm sure even a 128i is going to catch a few people off guard..lol
This is very true if you think you are being hounded by punk ass kids with your S2K you will be a mark with an EVO, I just took a small road trip last night with a buddies MR to pick up some parts for his car I could not beleive the amount of cars wanting to race and people telling us "Let ME hear your Blow-off Valve" on the way to Riverside by the way this was almost 12-1am at night this cars just screams attention.

This is why I like the 135, it will give me the power I want when I need plus with the mods I'm planning it will be enough for me. I do not need a 500hp evo killer like my buddies ride, cause in all honestly its loud and rides like shit. I fell i left all that crazyness in high school. The Bimmer will be more of an adult car for me and be discreat to many on the roads and only a true enthusist may know its true potential.
      10-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

a quick drive is next gen STi will change your mind..
All 3 cars are gonna be VERY nice driver cars..
Mitsubishi reliability is a suspect/unknown.. Evo X is grown up, handled unbelievably (.97g) but gained weight and didnt get any straight line acceleration speed. I am yet to feel the torque down low from 2.0 I4 engine.. (should be pretty good though)..
I am waiting for 135 reviews and there are news coming in that Subaru engines will be getting DI (Direct Injection) in a year or two.. STi with DI (my guess 330 hp stock) will be :thumbup:

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

STi Japan gets Recaros also, USA got shanked again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post

BTW, I love the Recaros in the EVO. I really, really want those seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #14
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My random thoughts for ya:

1. A nice interior is never noticed when you're driving >6/10ths, and that's when driving is fun anyway.
2. I thought the STI would be a hate magnet but interestingly enough I've only been chased down by an Audi S4. That's it. Everyone else leaves me alone. This was NOT the case in my old Integra Type R, which saw every ricer in town chasing me down. Could be because I bought black? Maybe because the STI is old hat now? Maybe because the STI's street cred is long established? Who knows. It's odd.
3. I was out of the STI this weekend driving my wife's new FJ. Fun truck, actually. I got back in the STI Sunday to run to get a movie... The lumpy idle, the tingly vibes, the burbly exhaust, the sheer manic pleasure of it all hit me fresh smack upside the head. This is one entertaining ride.

That to me is most important. All the fancy interior and technology bits are interesting to me for the first few months, and then I'm left with: "how does it make me feel when I twist the key?"

I can tell you that the 3er's don't deliver on that point for my wife and I. We have driven them extensively over the last 3 or 4 months; my wife was dead set on buying one. But they're just a little boring in the end. The 1er might not be. I hope not. I'm watching the 1er, new STI (waiting for the RA, fingers crossed), and new EVO very closely for '08. If any of them can deliver on #3 better than the '07, they'll be slotting in...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
Mr. E
Private
Rep
Drives:

Choice is simple for me. If the 135 comes in at $32k-$33k with no markups, I will get it. If not, I get the Evo X.
Appreciate 0