BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #23
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S View Post
So I'm doing a DE event this weekend. My brake monitor system says I've got 6000 miles left before needing new front pads. I bet I finish them off in the first 30 minutes of driving. My car has 7800 miles on it. Do you think my dealer will provide a warranty break job for me when I take the car in next week, assuming there are no signs of tracking, other than fast pad wear?
I was told the pad replacement thickness is 3mm under the maintenance program. You can do a visual check to see what you have left. But if your stock pads are close to that spec, and if you plan to brake aggressively, they might not get you through the day. You don't want to wear them all the way down to the plate. My 2 cents...
Good advice Lucid. I will take it easy out there knowing my brakes are at about 5mm. Do you know if the monitor system will tell me before I hit the plate? Or will I need to be visually inspecting regularly?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S View Post
Good advice Lucid. I will take it easy out there knowing my brakes are at about 5mm. Do you know if the monitor system will tell me before I hit the plate? Or will I need to be visually inspecting regularly?
5mm is not much. I personally wouldn't go to the track with it. One can easily go through that in a day depending on how long the sessions are and how one drives. And, the thin pad material will most likely transfer more heat into the calipers and the fluid.

To answer your question, the wear sensor attached to the pad should turn on the warning curcuit at around ~2mm (I am not exactly sure about the thickness), and you'll get a brake warning light on your dash that needs to be reset. IIRC, you'd also need to replace the sensors, but maybe someone else can verify that.

I suggest that you either bring an extra set of pads and swap them in after your first session, or do the swap before you head out to the track. If I were you, knowing my pad usage, I'd put in new pads before heading out.

Last edited by lucid; 03-19-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You'll definitley need to replacet he sensor once it's been activated.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #26
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

The PFC rotors worked well for me. The inner vanes are wider than the stock and should provide more cooling? One funny thing that I noticed is that the PFC rotors fit ever so slightly loose on the hub making it impossible to center. We're talking fractions of a mm, but kind of suprising from a high cost rotor that claims superior tolerances.
Appreciate 0