BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

08-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #67
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
I'm quite content in Kansas City, though, I live in Kansas City, Missouri, so I'm not sure how lonely Kansas is. Thanks for asking though. The IS was my first car. I've enjoyed it every day I've owned it. It runs great, it was the right price, and at the time I bought it, it would have made the perfect project car. Since then, I've graduated, gotten a job and moved twice for that job. I could have bought an M3 already but then you wouldn't be making fun of my IS and we wouldn't be having any fun. Instead, I decided to buy a home. You can make fun of me for that, too, if you want. I will be buying an M3 soon. I won't be buying a Cayman S, but I'm not blinded enough by my obsession to miss the fact that it is an excellent car.

So, you can knock me all you want for owning and driving an IS. I love the thing. If it wouldn't knock my insurance up so much to have two cars (not being 25 sucks ), I would have kept them both. If you're neighbors 16 year old daughter likes it, she has good taste, and if you'd like, I'll mail you some pictures when I'm ready to sell and you can see if shes interested in it. 2003 Thunder Cloud Metallic. Gray interior. Thanks for the help man, you're something special.

Edit: Oh yeah, any word on whether M3s will be available at .9% later in the year? Maybe 1.9% like the other Ms?
The M3's won't be available for .9, tried and asked, they said no. So I bought it anyway.

Why would I knock you for having a home? You live in Missouri, I feel bad enough as is no need to pile on. By the way, that is sarcasm, as everything has been. Toyota builds solid, reliable, cars. Wish I bought a Tacoma instead of my Frontier.

I am not sure why I seem blind by stating the facts about the Cayman. I do have a Porsche in the garage, I am not a BMW zealot.

I appreciate the offer for the pics, maybe later, as I am still aroused by the pics of the Cayman you posted. That was more sarcasm by the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #68
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

I'm glad we're both enjoying ourselves. I hope to have an M3 and a Porsche in my garage one day... and a truck. I mean, I do live in Missouri. (I was an East Coaster until last year, if that's any consolation. )
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #69
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
The M3's won't be available for .9, tried and asked, they said no. So I bought it anyway.

Why would I knock you for having a home? You live in Missouri, I feel bad enough as is no need to pile on. By the way, that is sarcasm, as everything has been. Toyota builds solid, reliable, cars. Wish I bought a Tacoma instead of my Frontier.

I am not sure why I seem blind by stating the facts about the Cayman. I do have a Porsche in the garage, I am not a BMW zealot.

I appreciate the offer for the pics, maybe later, as I am still aroused by the pics of the Cayman you posted. That was more sarcasm by the way.
To take this thread further off-topic, here is what the M3 will be joining in the old garage:

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #70
WhiteFlashE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GT4, '20 X3M and T3P

I was looking at the cayman S before just getting the M3 ... cayman S is a sweet looking car, but lacks balls. I agree that the M3 is a better overall package. However, I'll get a CS in a couple years if they beef it up.
2015 981 GTS, 2013 991.1 C2, 2016 AMG C63S, 2016 M4 Grey Metallic, 2014 SQ5, 2013 Audi RS5 Ibis White, 2012 650i AW, 2008 Merc. C63 AMG, 2011 335i DCT Crimson Red, 2008 E90 AW M3 DCT, 2011 E70 X5 35d, 2005 E46 M3 Convertible, 2007 E90 335i, 2009 Audi A5
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #71
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Yes, the Cayman looks great with a 25,000 dollar body kit. Rosie O'Donnel would probably be fuckable with 25,000 dollars of cosmetic surgery.
Not even remotely! Not to mention she would still likely have a mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #72
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I mentioned it because I was trying to give you an idea of how much I know Porsches and have been around them for a good amount of time. I am VERY aware of how the dry sump GT1 engine is used ( i.e., in all motors used for racing, turbo, and GT cars, to prevent oil deprevation on high lateral loads, etc). That was not my arguement. I am aware the wet sump hasnt been used to race. That doesnt make any difference to its calibre.
Funny, I pegged you at ~18 as well.
You mention racing...Porsche has over 50,000 race victories in its long, rich racing history. Many more wins than BMW has, by a long shot. Well see what happens in ALMS, considering IIRC Porsche won the GT2 overall championship last year (or was it LMP2? or both? cant remember). Bmw is gonna have its hands full with the GT3RSR and F430 in ALMS. It took them 3 years to get a win in F1!

BTW-you say you have a 'Porsche in the garage'...you have a cayenne...while I personally thing theyre great...have you ever owned a boxster, cayman, 911?

I used to have an m3 (nearly 100K spent between car, mods and labor)...and nearly bought an e92 m3, so I know what theyre all about. It just isnt what I want in a car for the next 12 or so months (any neither was the m5 after looking at one, LOL). Still a good one nonetheless. Better than any offering audi or merc has.

At the end of the day...as long as you like what you drive, its all good. I go through cars quite often. At least a new one every 12-15 months, so Ill have MANY more-including many more 911s and prob Cayman S' as well.
When did Porsche last have a victory in F1? Oh, that's right...

How many victories does Porsche have using the Cayman? Oh, that's right...

How many victories does the Cayman have in comparison to the M3? Oh, that's right...

Stop with this Porsche racing history and mentioning your Cayman. I might as well start talking about Porsche racing history in correlation with the Cayenne.

BMW has not campaigned a factory team since the nonsense of not letting them compete and Porsche's bellyaching about losing. The last time Porsche won in the GT1 or GT2 class was in 05. Since then, the F430 came out and Ferrari has been walking Porsche all over the track, HARD. When the M3 GTR was allowed to compete, it won, pure and simple.

So you are 18? A lot of years driving Porsches on the racetrack under your belt I see. I really don't understand why you even keep bringing up your cayman and this and that about Porsche. Porsche has a rear engine car getting beat by a 3900 pound Nissan and a so called mid engine sports car being watered down to not run around the 911. I really don't see the Cayman and the M3 as apples to apples. Plus, the M3 has the better tranny, motor, and daily useability. The Cayman has yet to lap faster than the M3 CSL, and that car came out when?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #73
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Yes, the Cayman looks great with a 25,000 dollar body kit. Rosie O'Donnel would probably be fuckable with 25,000 dollars of cosmetic surgery.
HAHahahahahahaaaa!!!!!!!!!
      08-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Buddy, if you are talking about the track wouldn't it make sense to compare the Cayman to BMW's track car (the CSL)?

Porsche BETTER have 8 cars that lap the ring under 8 min. Probably more if you start taking every variant into account, C4S, C4S Targa, C4S Cab, if you really want to play that game.

It does not surprise me BMW does not have X6's, 650i's, X5's, Z4's, 328's, 128's, etc. lapping under 8 minutes as they have a much more diverse production lineup. I can't wait to see how the Panamera stacks up to the M5. We basically know it is going to be using the Cayenne powertrain and transmisisons, if so, it is all about profit not about racing heritage or heart.

M cars are special, they don't throw any motor or suspension in them. You won't see an M3 motor in everything else, M is not AMG.

I would hope the GT3 embarrasses the CSL, more power, less weight, and only a couple seconds on the Ring. What is more impressive, how close the BMW is with an older chassis and motor for less money, or how far ahead the GT3 is?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #75
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The CSL never matched the 996GT3...and the 997GT3 is a better, faster car than both. And where does less money come into play? In europe the CSL was almost as much as the GT3 IIRC.
Porsche has been essentially using the same chasis and flat 6 for over 40 years...
They have not used the same motor and chassis. You would be correct is you said the same engine layout and configuration. Let us not act like a modern Carrera has more in common with the original 911 than where the engine is located.

As far as the M3 never matching the 996 GT3 you need to brush up on your ring times:

7:42 --- Porsche 997/ GT3 (05/2006)
7:50 --- BMW E46 M3 CSL (08/2003)
7:54 --- Porsche GT3 (996) (2003)
7:56 --- Porsche 996 Turbo (2000)
8:02 --- Porsche 997 Carrera S, PASM setting “Sport”, (Walter Röhrl WHEELS 06/ 2004)
8:03 --- 153.540 km/h -- Porsche 911 GT3, 360 PS/1391 kg (sport auto 08/1999)

The CSL not only matched the 996 GT3, it beat both the Mk1 and Mk2. Well whatever, I'm tired of tutoring you. Just messing around, enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #76
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know were messing around, but one thing you forget, the csl was run on Cup tires, the 996 GT3 was done on PS2s so it did not beat it in reality. Had the 996GT3 been run on Cup tires as well, it wouldnt have been close prob would have run ~7:45. Also, as I said, that test of the CSL is an anomaly and will never be replicated.
MkI GT3 was not a US car and was made in 1999.

2009 997S just ran 7:50 too.

Later.
There are other times of the MK1 RS on cups but hey, whatever. The facelift carrera S time is on "sport" tires.

BMW turns a good time and it is an anomaly. BMW managed a 7:50 with an X5 chassis, it is obvious they are capable of whatever goal they set. I suppose the supercharged CSL running 7:22.8 is an anomaly as well, faster than... well almost everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #77
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep

The sad truth is that both companies are manufacturing their cars for profit, and if they can make the same profit with less effort, they're going to. Obviously, Porsche is happy with where the Cayman is in their lineup, or they would have changed it by now.

Hopefully the Cayman sees the same upgrades the 911 just received.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #78
Voxx
Rep
Drives: 2007 e63 m6

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
The sad truth is that both companies are manufacturing their cars for profit, and if they can make the same profit with less effort, they're going to.
qft.

Having driven the Cayman, and owning an M3, the cayman, in my opinion if more of a business venture for the company. That's not to say that it isn't wonderfully designed and incessantly tuned.

Unfortunately, most M3 owners when they signed on theyre e90/92, also seemed to have signed a contract to hate on all 65-85k sports cars that aren't an M3.

Regardless it's best to remain unbias simply because of ownership. They're both phenomenal machines, though the M3 delivers far more of what I am looking for in accordance to that kind of money.

2007 BMW e63 M6
2008 BMW e92 M3
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself."
-Ferdinand Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #79
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep

How do you like your M6 compared to your M3? That's a lot of M.

Edit: Nice of you to create an account just to QFT me. I feel loved.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #80
Voxx
Rep
Drives: 2007 e63 m6

Believe it or not I spend more time in the 3. I've never driven a car that is that well-balanced for that price. The 6 is a beast, and rightfully so for 110+, not to mention I went halves on it with my brother so he spends his share in it as well. But in all honest at most times if the 6 and 3 are in the garage, ill take the 3 out.

Unless of course.. I'm off to the track, or there are females involved.

2007 BMW e63 M6
2008 BMW e92 M3
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself."
-Ferdinand Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #81
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxx View Post
qft.

Having driven the Cayman, and owning an M3, the cayman, in my opinion if more of a business venture for the company. That's not to say that it isn't wonderfully designed and incessantly tuned.

Unfortunately, most M3 owners when they signed on theyre e90/92, also seemed to have signed a contract to hate on all 65-85k sports cars that aren't an M3.

Regardless it's best to remain unbias [sic] simply because of ownership. They're both phenomenal machines, though the M3 delivers far more of what I am looking for in accordance to that kind of money.
I agree.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0