BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #45
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I'm very sorry to inform you of this, but Sams, CostCo and Safeway get their gas from the same place that Chevron, Shell and Sunoco do. Octane levels don't change over time, nor due to "demand".
I don't think that's completely true, though not completely falso either. If you go to a Shell station, it doesn't mean you are getting "Shell" gas from a Shell refinery delivered by a Shell truck, but it also doesn't necessarily mean (depending on where you live) that every station on the block is getting their gas from Bob's Backwoods Refinery and Paving Tar. In most areas, there are multiple sources of gas, and it's somewhat up to the station owner to decide where to source from. That said, I'm a little doubtful about the bad gas theory, as it seems like it would keep stalling on the same tank, and not just right after fillup, particularly since it seems unlikely the new gas would have even gotten into the engine yet if it's that soon after fillup. A vapor related problem seems more likely.

I am a little curious, for those experiencing this issue, how low are you letting it get before you refill? I personally would try a combination of switching stations and refilling sooner if I was having this issue.
      04-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post

I am a little curious, for those experiencing this issue, how low are you letting it get before you refill? I personally would try a combination of switching stations and refilling sooner if I was having this issue.
I think you're right on. I've had this happen twice in a year of ownership and in both instances the refill was from lower than I'd normally let it go < 1/8th of a tank. Once from Shell, once from Chevron, so as others have mentioned I think the "bad gas" isn't an issue, other than the inferior gas that is part of living in Cali. As we all know, in the e9x m3 when you hit 1/4 tank you'd better start looking for a gas-station.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #47
328iSC
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90

Good point, I usually refill at the 1/4 tank mark. I dug up a couple videos I shot with my phone. On the two occassions it never completely stalled. The videos are when the problem first started showing its head. In one of the videos the low fuel light is on, however on the other video the light has not turned on yet.

The video is not all that great, its hard to predict when it will happen but I'll try to get more video in the future.

Since the videos were taken the problem seems to have gotten worse. Now it stalls in traffic when a re-fuel has not been done and the car has over 1/2 tank in it. I was able to replicate the problem once for a service technician, it actually stalled. Thats when they said to switch gas. I had just filled up with Shell 93 octane while he was in the car with me.

I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #48
328iSC
Rep

Update:

The dealership had my car for a couple of days. They could not replicate the stall after refueling. But, they did find a fault stored in the computer that pointed to one of the four O2 sensors having a problem. They replaced the O2 that threw the code. Since the O2's control fuel mixture maybe this is why it stalled in traffic the other day and could be related to the re-fueling stall issue.

Normally I have nothing nice to say about BMW of Austin, at least for a few of them. But my new service advisor, Thad, took great care of me and the car. He explained in detail what they did to try to resolve and fix the problem. He even took time to review the videos I put together showing the stall problems. When I arrived at the dealership I sent him an email with links to the videos. He could have just ignored them but he at least took the time to review them to see the problem in action.

Hopefully the problem will go away, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #49
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 BLK ZCP/ 12 Rng Rvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iSC View Post
Update:

The dealership had my car for a couple of days. They could not replicate the stall after refueling. But, they did find a fault stored in the computer that pointed to one of the four O2 sensors having a problem. They replaced the O2 that threw the code. Since the O2's control fuel mixture maybe this is why it stalled in traffic the other day and could be related to the re-fueling stall issue.

Normally I have nothing nice to say about BMW of Austin, at least for a few of them. But my new service advisor, Thad, took great care of me and the car. He explained in detail what they did to try to resolve and fix the problem. He even took time to review the videos I put together showing the stall problems. When I arrived at the dealership I sent him an email with links to the videos. He could have just ignored them but he at least took the time to review them to see the problem in action.

Hopefully the problem will go away, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Hows it running now?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #50
328iSC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
Hows it running now?
It seems to be running fine since they replaced the O2 sensor. I've been refueling the car before it reaches the 1/4 mark, and I haven't been able to duplicate the re-fuel stalling.

I'm still not 100% convinced it was a bad O2, the car only has 24K miles on it.

I'm keeping an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #51
328iSC
Rep

Quote:
It seems to be running fine since they replaced the O2 sensor. I've been refueling the car before it reaches the 1/4 mark, and I haven't been able to duplicate the re-fuel stalling.

I'm still not 100% convinced it was a bad O2, the car only has 24K miles on it.

I'm keeping an eye on it.
Well the saga continues. The fuel light came on at 1/4 tank and I was able to get it re-fueled with the gauge just a hair past 1/4. The O2 sensor did not fix the problem. After re-fueling the car, pulling it into a parking space and let it run for a few minutes. The erratic idle returned. It did not completely stall but the RPM's surged up and down a few times.

Anyone have info on how to pursue the lemon law in Texas? I don't need these problems to continue once the warranty period is up!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 BLK ZCP/ 12 Rng Rvr

I don't know how it works in Texas but I have done it in Florida. There should be a lemon law handbook in the vehicle. If not Im sure you can get it online. There are certain requirements that are detailed in the book. In Florida it is very specific, so
i used my families law firm to do it (made it a heck of a lot easier). Kinda sucks that such a good vehicle has so many problems (to much damn technology). Good luck bro
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #53
Erickuokwa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Did you solve this? It’s happening to me at the moment
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #54
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Woh. The one time it happened (on DCT), it was just after topping off at a Shell gas station, drove out to an intersection, was waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so that I can make a left turn, and it stalled.
Quote:
Only happens when car is stopped, right after a fill-up. No dash warning lights. After you drive at speed for a mile or so problem goes away.
Quote:
Well, took it to the dealer. Had a technician ride with me to a Shell gas station. I filled it up like I normally do. Drove to the end of the parking lot, let car sit at idle for 1-2 mins. and the STALL happened. I'm glad the tech. was with me, and I was able to duplicate it. I'll keep you updated if they come up with a fix. He mentioned that it might be some (I think he said)crankcase ventilation valve, but not sure.
This makes me feel better, guys. I recently filled up (91) my 2011 e92 DCT w/ 59k at a 76 Station and moments after I pulled out and was waiting at a stoplight, the car stalled while sitting in S1. Sure enough, people beep, but luckily I made the light.

I'll take it back to Chevron from now on and see if it happens again...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #55
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
What happens if your A/C is running? Does it still stall or idle erratically?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #56
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

For my one experience, I had the AC on at the time (it was a pretty warm day) and the idle was a little inconsistent right before it stalled.

From another thread, I've seen a few route causes. My experience was immediately following a fill up (91) at a 76 Station.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #57
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Fuel tank breather valve. Replace it and you won’t stall or get bouncy idle after a fill up. $70 part and it’s easy to replace.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:50 AM   #58
lee7708bh
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Hi, my name is Lee, and I saw your post. I am having same issue that you posted "Same thing here. 2009 M3 DCT trans. No matter what brand gas I use. The RPMs will start to surge up and down, then eventually, it stalls. It seems to stall just as the trafiic light turns green, and the cars behind me start blowing thier horns.

Delaership hasn't figured it out yet. No codes in the computer. I've always used 93 octane. I used to fill the tank and after the pump stopped I would round it off to the nearest even number. Thinking that I was overfilling tank, I now stop it as soon as the pump stops. Still no difference"

Did you solve the issue? I need your help... please help me
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #59
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee7708bh View Post
Hi, my name is Lee, and I saw your post. I am having same issue that you posted "Same thing here. 2009 M3 DCT trans. No matter what brand gas I use. The RPMs will start to surge up and down, then eventually, it stalls. It seems to stall just as the trafiic light turns green, and the cars behind me start blowing thier horns.

Delaership hasn't figured it out yet. No codes in the computer. I've always used 93 octane. I used to fill the tank and after the pump stopped I would round it off to the nearest even number. Thinking that I was overfilling tank, I now stop it as soon as the pump stops. Still no difference"

Did you solve the issue? I need your help... please help me
This happens just after you fill up? If so it is you fuel tank breather valve. Replace it, its cheap and easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #60
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp

^^^this I have done it as well
Appreciate 0