BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
BimmerFreakJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3Cx, 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2016 Porsche GT3  [0.00]
2022 M3Cx  [0.00]
2013 F30  [0.00]
1971 BMW 2002  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
SCCA Solo II: Forget A Stock....what about STU?

Since the E9X M3 is a SERIOUS underdog in A Stock, and doesn't stand a chance in ASP, what do you guys think about STU?

I realize you are up against the AWD boost buggies, but they are limited to 245's, where the 2wd guys are unlimited in tire size.

It seems that the E9X could be a fairly competitive option in STU with;
ECU tune
285's with no limit on wheel width
AST Coilovers + Camber plates + bigger front bar
Filter/intake
X pipe/high flow cats (or delete) and exhaust
etc.

and, If you wanted to save some weight you can pull the factory seats and replace with a lightweight option.

Thoughts?

** My biggest problem with A Stock (other than, I think it is a major underdog) is it doesnt allow me to mod my car, which sucks because that's half the fun!
(my current car runs in XP)

Last edited by BimmerFreakJoe; 05-21-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

You will never get the power to the ground, imo. I think the car has shown some hope in A stock with rich's results out of saint louis.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Having built a top flight stu car only to be 1 full second back of the awd cars, i just cannot see it.

Also, the e36 is a faster stu car than the e46. I don' t think the e90 would be any better or not by much. A stock is slower than b & c stock, so the e 90 can play there, imo. Right now, i think it maybe as fast as my 1m.

Last edited by m3kerry; 05-21-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Maypo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IBM E92

First off, I don't think the E90 is a serious underdog in AS. An underdog, probably, but not by much. I am running in one of the fastest regions in the country, and have scored 99% (PAX) against the 'top dogs.' With the development work being spear-headed by Richbot, I believe the car can be a contender.

Granting all that, though, I have thought about an STU effort, too (in large part for the reason given by BimmerFreakJoe: I want to mod my car!). One hurdle is the 285-section tire limit, plus the fact that there is a shortage of 285s to choose from; whereas the AWD cars' 245s are plentiful. I guess the question is whether there is enough improvement possible in the car to go as fast on street tires as it can in stock-class form on A6's.

I will be able to assess the prospects for STU as the year unfolds, as I have the 'fortune' to be competing with the current national STU champ.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I used to run an top placing Evo in STU and the only other competition in that class was from a few E36 M3s and an occasional STI. As you can't increase the boost on the Evo, it is pretty disadvantaged in terms of power as it is heavier than the E36s. AWD does help coming out of corners but you have to fight corner entry understeer on slower speed corners as the S-AYC doesn't kick in until mid corner.

Now I am running the E90 M3 in STU.. the car is completely stock and it isn't doing that bad. Not a top runner but mid-pack. Definitely some potential to explore.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

An STU M3 could be down in the low 3300lb range (My AS E90 is 3500 with 1/4 tank, subtract another 20lbs in the exhaust, 25lbs for an E92, and 100+lbs in seats and you're there without even exploiting all the other fun rules) with 350-375hp at the wheels and 285's (STU is not unlimited tire width for RWD, just wider). Would be a fun car. Only way to find out is to build one and see, but I don't think any amount of power/weight advantage will make up for the traction and midrange torque advantage the AWD cars have.

I think the best part of Stock is the limited modifications. Keeps you from taking a perfectly good car and turning it into a toy. Been there, done that, don't need to do it again

As far as the car being an underdog in AS, I don't think it's a total pig in the class. It is narrower with just as much tire and more power than the FRC and even more powerfuller with even more tire than the Porsches. Biggest problem for the M3 is another BMW, the 1M. If nobody competes successfully in one of those, (and there are a couple being campaigned) the M3 probably isn't going to get it done either, though it can fit more tire with the 18" option. Wild card for me is the Evora, I think that car might have made the whole class an underdog but nobody has cared to build one yet. Might be getting too much credit for PAXing well in a pretty soft region, but so far the car has been fast right out of the box, even with just the Hoosiers, lighter wheels, swaybar, and the 20lb lighter catback. Will have more to say once I have time to play with the MCS stuff which will finally be complete and on the car this week.

Last edited by Richbot; 05-21-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0