BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

Lexus replaces BMW in Top 3 Luxury Auto Brands

Luxury Institute Survey: Porsche, Mercedes and Lexus Earn Top Honors as the Most Prestigious Luxury Automobile Brands in 2006!

Thursday April 13, 10:00 am ET

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 13, 2006--America's wealthy rated Porsche the most prestigious luxury automobile for 2006 in an objective and independent survey just released by the New York-based Luxury Institute. Porsche led the field on brand uniqueness and exclusivity, being the brand most driven by people who are admired and respected, and making customers feel special across the entire experience. Lexus, which won handily on superior quality, continued to climb in luxury status, displacing BMW, which came in fourth. Importantly, Lexus was also the brand that most aware wealthy consumers are willing to refer.

"We are gratified that for the second time in a row a majority of discriminating, sophisticated owners has rated Porsche the number one luxury brand," said Peter Schwarzenbauer, President and CEO of Porsche Cars North America. "It reaffirms our belief that by remaining true to our sports car values and history the Porsche brand maintains its position as one of the world's most respected and desirable names."

Thirteen luxury automobile brands were rated overall including Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes, Porsche, Saab, and Volvo. Using LBSI, the Luxury Institute surveyed a nationally representative valid and reliable statistical sample of more than 500 households with a minimum of $200,000 in gross annual income and minimum net worth of at least $750,000 (including home equity).

"The auto industry is one of the most well covered in terms of consumer surveys," said Milton Pedraza, CEO of the Luxury Institute. "However, luxury automobile executives need to know how their best prospects and customers, who, according to the Federal Reserve control 70% of all the wealth in the United States, rate their brands. Even within the wealth segments there are major differences in ratings. For example, wealthy women rate Porsche much higher on price worthiness than men, pointing to a major marketing opportunity. In addition, the referrals of wealthy non-owners can influence purchase as much as those of owners. For example, in this year's survey, Lexus is by far the most referred brand regardless of which brand wealthy consumers own."

About the Luxury Institute

The Luxury Institute is the uniquely independent and objective research institution that is the objective and independent voice of the wealthy consumer. The Institute provides a portfolio of proprietary publications and research that guide and educate high net- worth individuals and the companies that cater to them on leading edge trends, wealthy consumer rankings and ratings of luxury brands, and best practices. Publications include the monthly Wealth Report, the Luxury Brand Status Index surveys, the Luxury Best Practices surveys and the Luxury Consumer Experience Index surveys. To reach the Luxury institute, please call 646-792-2669 or go to www.luxuryinstitute.com.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

That's the way it should be. When I think of snobby rich cars I always think Mercedes, Lexus, and Porsche. It doesn't mean they're better, just that they are luxurious and fulfill the desires of wealthy people.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
I get confuse....
Just yesterday I read Jspira post http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142274
Bmw 3 Series Declared 2006 "World Car Of The Year".
      04-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
      04-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
That's the way it should be. When I think of snobby rich cars I always think Mercedes, Lexus, and Porsche. It doesn't mean they're better, just that they are luxurious and fulfill the desires of wealthy people.
You're right, BMW does have a more sporty feel to it than super-cushy luxury. But then again, why the heck is Porsche the #1 most luxurious? They're definately more sporty than luxurious
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

When it comes to Luxury I think of MB- this is like the king of Luxury to me. Like they said, Lexus won by quality and referred by many people. It's because Lexus was created only for the image. People think of it as the luxury Toyota. With quality materials and superior quality/reliability, no wonder it's in third place. BMW is more of performance and somewhat luxury. Porsche is up there because it's very exclusive. By looking around you'll see that many people our age drive BMWs and MBz. This is not necessarily because they look or perform better than Porsche. It's because it's CHEAPER to buy and own than Porsche. Porsche's are also not very practical. Just by looking at the cheapest car that Porsche offers, I can tell that it's a very exclusive brand. It's no wonder they are first on the list.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
supernova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe Black Metallic

LOL. LEXUS? OVER BMW?

HAHAHAHA. (x) INFINITY.

THIS SURVEY IS BULLSHIT. THANKS!!!

SURE LEXUS ARE GREAT CARS, BUT WTF, OVER BMW? YEAH THAT`LL BE THE DAY.

click it for myspace
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I think some of you are too close-minded. You think BMW is the greatest freaking car in the world just because you drive one. Jigga please! Read the freaking title- it's LUXURY!!! NOT FUCKING SPORTY!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
dom1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Pretty interesting BS. I wonder how this translates to studies outside of the US in which there is no Lexus and Infiniti, they're just called Toyota and Nissan. Probably the results would be very different. Anyway, I agree with the number 1 since Porsche will probably be my next car.
1994 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl. - retired after 170K miles
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #10
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I'm glad less stupid snobby people are driving my car as a status symbol and more enthusiasts are choosing it. Let the snobs have their MB and Lexus'.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Who cares? Those of us who own/lease and drive BMWs wouldn't trade it in for anything else.

It doesn't matter what other studies say but while we're on the topic, look at how many mags, pubs, sites, experts have praised the E90 - not even withstanding the World Car of the Year award.
      04-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
NaTuReB0Y