BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

Tint Help in SoCal - 3m Crystalline

Hi guys,

Went up to Ojai last weekend and it was 105 degrees - got into my car mid-day and almost died in my car. It was so freakin' hot!!! I quickly turned on max ac and jumped out of my car for a couple minutes to let things cool off. Then and there, I decided I have to install something to cool the car off. Plus, I imagine my leather is taking an absolute beating due to the heat and UV rays.

So I did some research - primarily on this site and e90post and it seems that the top tints for heat and UV defense are Huper Optik Nano Ceramic and 3M's Crystalline. Seems that 3M is newer and has better stats than the HO so I'm opting toward going with the Crystalline. Plus, the Crystalline seems to be more effective at lighter tints - which is critical in Cali where they limit the front windshield tint to 70%.

So couple questions:

1. I was thinking of going 70% in the front, and 50% for the rest. What do you guys think? Too light? Will that look strange - 75-50 difference in the windows?

2. Any suggestions on good installers in the SoCal/Los Angeles area? I see price quotes range from $400-$700.

Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Richsocal12
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Alpine Weiss - Slicktop

Go to TINT FACTORY and ask for Garrett. Tell him Richmond referred you... There located in WEST Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
A lot of us are running 35fr 20r and it looks fine. If the shades are within one step you cant really tell too much. Now if you go 35fr 5r then yes, totally see it. I dont think the 75-50 would be all that noticeable. But the heat difference will be pretty significant...
      08-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
A lot of us are running 35fr 20r and it looks fine. If the shades are within one step you cant really tell too much. Now if you go 35fr 5r then yes, totally see it. I dont think the 75-50 would be all that noticeable. But the heat difference will be pretty significant...
Thanks Ottoblotto - isn't cali law 75% on the front? That was really the main reason for going with 75% in the front (and thus going a bit darker on the other windows). Also, can you see well at night? 35% seems pretty dark! Do you even need to wear sunglasses during the day?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Cali law is actually nothing up front (unless it was changed recently), but most cops are cool if they can see in the car easily. You can event tint the windshield if you get something like AirBlue tint. I just had it done on our minivan to try it out and it does seem to help considerably.
Elitetint.com knows how to do the rear window right, but they're in Fullerton. They will travel to some extent.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 08-30-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
goto35
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 m3 cars in 14 years :)

i wouldnt pay over $200 for tint. anything more is just a rip off!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richsocal12 View Post
Go to TINT FACTORY and ask for Garrett. Tell him Richmond referred you... There located in WEST Los Angeles
I called Tint Factory and was quoted $699 for Crystalline. Isn't that a bit steep?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Premier has a product that you might want to look at : http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...+blocking+tint. I'm very happy with the Wincos HCD-30 tint on my car.
      08-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

http://www.stmsolutionsinc.com/
Best in town....
He did all three m3's allaround n front window to
Tell him hann i (jr) sent you....

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
fuzzybam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB GLE350

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
Premier has a product that you might want to look at : http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...+blocking+tint. I'm very happy with the Wincos HCD-30 tint on my car.
I fully stand behind Premier's tint. I was quoted 650 for rear and front windows. Not sure how much they charge for the windshield, but I would definitely look into doing 73% on the windshield and two front windows, and then 50% on the rest.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange fever View Post
http://www.stmsolutionsinc.com/
Best in town....
He did all three m3's allaround n front window to
Tell him hann i (jr) sent you....
+1
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Regarding front window tint.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

BTW California Tint did my window tint and have the best prices for sure.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/california-tint-rosemead
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

1. 70s way too light, do 40 or 50 on the windshield and 35 all around. Cops will give you a ticket if you dip below 30 thou.

2. Go to Tint Master City in the SFV for 3M for the best combination of price+excellent work. However I'd shell out the bit extra and take my car to Songs Tint Masters if I were you, always does a fantastic job with Huper Optik
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Don't kid yourself, cops will find any reason to give you a ticket. More so since every city and state are broke right now.

I got pulled over last year as the cop thought I did not have a front plate as he did not see it off to the side and was going to give me a tinted window ticket at the same time. Lucky for me I did have a plate and I think he was too embarrased to give me the tinted window ticket.

I also do not think most cops will pull you over for only tinted windows unless it is too dark however you better believe that most will add the tint on the ticket if they are pulling you over for something else.

I too have front tinted windows but like most others I am willing to take the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAForever View Post
1. 70s way too light, do 40 or 50 on the windshield and 35 all around. Cops will give you a ticket if you dip below 30 thou.

2. Go to Tint Master City in the SFV for 3M for the best combination of price+excellent work. However I'd shell out the bit extra and take my car to Songs Tint Masters if I were you, always does a fantastic job with Huper Optik
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
mmandaniel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Her name is Betsy.

I wouldn't do 70/50% that is very light, go with at least 35% (especially because the M3s windows are big). a lot of people love the work at songs tint master. I got my work done at sunshield tints http://www.yelp.com/biz/sunshield-gl...g-sherman-oaks. talk to hamid, he's the man
Appreciate 0