BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for sale/wanted/trade

09-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #23
taldir
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C5

bump
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
taldir
Enlisted Member
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #25
taldir
Enlisted Member
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #26
loganr25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by taldir View Post
Bump. Open to offers.
Didn't carmax offer you 50k?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #27
maxd23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mk 7.5 GTI Audi R8

I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers so I hope you don't take it personally, but I think there's a couple reasons you haven't sold your car in over two months.

1) The price is too high. CarMax will probably offer you around $47k assuming that you have the premium stereo and around 23,000 miles (I simply added 2,000 miles in the two months since you originally posted). If you sell to a private party, anything above that number is gravy for you. You posted that you would not entertain any offers if they don't begin with a "5," that is a bit optimistic. Certainly, the endowment effect is in play here, but if loganr25 offered you $49k, that isn't bad. You could have a lot of fun in Vegas with $2000.

2) The market for people looking to purchase a used car in the $50k ballpark is very small. Hell, the market for people looking to purchase a NEW car for $50k is small. There's a reason why BMW/Audi/MB/Caddy are starting to release cars at $30k. And now, given the release of the F80/F82, it is attracting new M buyers. Additionally, the previous M owners are trading in their E9xs in, "flooding" the market, thus driving down prices. Two years ago you could get good value selling a used E9x, but not now.

Sorry. I'm sure you can flame me and other people may flame me as well, but realistic expectations are never bad.

Mark and Jason, I hope this doesn't qualify as thread crapping. I am not selling another e92 and I'm honestly here to help. I do not know either OP or loganr25. If mods do delete, I totally understand.

No hard feelings OP. Hopefully you take everything I said with a grain of salt and you get your car sold. Think of it is this way, you sell to a board member for $49k and you pocket the extra $2k. Otherwise, you sell to a dealer for $47k, they turn it around and sell to same board member for $53k. Who benefits here?

Beautiful car by the way. It's obvious that you took good care of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #28
loganr25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxd23 View Post
I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers so I hope you don't take it personally, but I think there's a couple reasons you haven't sold your car in over two months.

1) The price is too high. CarMax will probably offer you around $47k assuming that you have the premium stereo and around 23,000 miles (I simply added 2,000 miles in the two months since you originally posted). If you sell to a private party, anything above that number is gravy for you. You posted that you would not entertain any offers if they don't begin with a "5," that is a bit optimistic. Certainly, the endowment effect is in play here, but if loganr25 offered you $49k, that isn't bad. You could have a lot of fun in Vegas with $2000.

2) The market for people looking to purchase a used car in the $50k ballpark is very small. Hell, the market for people looking to purchase a NEW car for $50k is small. There's a reason why BMW/Audi/MB/Caddy are starting to release cars at $30k. And now, given the release of the F80/F82, it is attracting new M buyers. Additionally, the previous M owners are trading in their E9xs in, "flooding" the market, thus driving down prices. Two years ago you could get good value selling a used E9x, but not now.

Sorry. I'm sure you can flame me and other people may flame me as well, but realistic expectations are never bad.

Mark and Jason, I hope this doesn't qualify as thread crapping. I am not selling another e92 and I'm honestly here to help. I do not know either OP or loganr25. If mods do delete, I totally understand.

No hard feelings OP. Hopefully you take everything I said with a grain of salt and you get your car sold. Think of it is this way, you sell to a board member for $49k and you pocket the extra $2k. Otherwise, you sell to a dealer for $47k, they turn it around and sell to same board member for $53k. Who benefits here?

I think it is great advice.

I just closed on a deal. Lower miles, couple after market body parts. For 45k.

The market has changed from a seller market to a buyers market.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #29
taldir
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxd23 View Post

Thanks for the advice. As you can tell I'm not in a rush to move it. Just waiting for the right buyer or waiting for the right car to come up locally(so I can trade-in on it.)

I expected to get a little more, but it's obvious the market has shifted slightly. More open to offers now.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
taldir
Enlisted Member
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0