BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

wait... warranty?

Everyone is telling us that the brakes are great and all but after always using it the breaks start fading away... I did have this issue with my E46 M3 but do you guys know how often I got new brakes installed by BMW under warranty?

wouldnt this be a nice cure for our cars? or is this not sufficient for our brake problems?

I got my brakes changed once every 2 months when I had my E46...

Unless I was having a track day or I had a canyon day with a bunch of E46's
(or bimmerfest) then I would be changed brakes once every month or month and a half

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
Everyone is telling us that the brakes are great and all but after always using it the breaks start fading away... I did have this issue with my E46 M3 but do you guys know how often I got new brakes installed by BMW under warranty?

wouldnt this be a nice cure for our cars? or is this not sufficient for our brake problems?

I got my brakes changed once every 2 months when I had my E46...

Unless I was having a track day or I had a canyon day with a bunch of E46's
(or bimmerfest) then I would be changed brakes once every month or month and a half
If you're talking about replacing the pads, that's under the Service plan, not Warranty. I commend BMW for hanging on to this when all the others are dropping it. Hard to see how you could go through pads every 2 months unless you do multiple track days. Dealers get wise to that pretty quickly.

But, we're not talking about brake life, but ultimate brake performance and fading when the E92 is discussed. Many are of the opinion that multi-piston calipers should have been used. I can't argue against that, though the number of pistons does not have a direct relationship to performance. The rotors seem beefy enough. Carbon rotors would be a cool option, one that might be palatable at say a $5k premium. Luckily, the brakes are a system that is easy to upgrade if it does not meet your performance needs.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-27-2007 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

thank you very much.. The reason why my dealer did not wise up to it lately is because they want more money from BMW to replace the pads (the advisors get paid per each car they work on and wat services were needed, not each hour obviously) so they didnt complain on me... and when I said every 2 months I meant averagely...
depended on what activity occured that month etc. sometimes I did go 3 months etc.

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Carbon rotors would be a cool option, one that might be palatable at say a $5k premium.
I think you mean Composite not carbon where composite simply means 2 materials a ceramic based material for the rotor and aluminum for the hat. The only "carbon" brakes are carbon-carbon used in F1 and in aerospace. I know...nitpicking...just don't like to see the wrong technical terms like silicone computer chips and silicon boob jobs .
Appreciate 0