BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

Anyone had to replace S65 engine in their M3?

I have a 2012 E-92 that just turned 20k miles.

I was heading out last Friday night and when I hit the entrance ramp on the local highway I goosed the ole girl a bit and she shut down on me as I hit about 75 mph. Luckily I was still in the right hand lane and easily coasted to the shoulder. No warning lights..no nothing. Sat for few minutes and she cranked right up. I was low on fuel and just wrote it off as maybe some trash got past the fuel filter. Went on about my business, got some fuel and enjoyed my evening.

On the way home I entered the entrance ramp of the same highway and sure enough, engines shuts off, trans goes to neutral and I'm coasting to the shoulder. Still no warning lights, no nothing. But this time the she won't crank back up. In fact won't even turn over. Finally I see a battery Icon on the dash. I'm thinking bad battery or alternator. Call BMW roadside assist and get the car towed to my dealership.

Go pick up a loaner Saturday, they haven't looked at her yet. Call on Monday I'm told.

Call on Monday no answer, leave voice mail.

Tuesday about lunch time I get a call from my service guy. "Mr. _____ I had to get the word from BMW corporate before I could call you back. It looks like you are going to get a new engine. We found some metal shavings in the oil and that may have been blocking oil circulation which caused the shut down while under acceleration."

Well I am shocked to say the least, after thinking a new battery and or alternator and I am back on the road. I am still a little confused as the service guy said the shavings were brass. Where would brass be in the S65? Or maybe I misunderstood? As I said I was not thinking too clearly.

Anyways, new engine is being covered by warranty and I will have her back in about 3 weeks. Free of charge.

Wondering about resale value hit, as numbers will no longer match. They did say I won't have to go through 1200mile break in again as the block on the new motor will be the only thing that is not brand new.

Thoughts or advice?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Take a look here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615

That should give you some interesting reading. It seems that the dealer is not properly explaining what the cause of the failure was. Metal clogging the oil passageways is the effect of something else failing. Where did the metal come from? Another part failed, assuming what they are telling you is correct. And by the way, any metal shavings in the oil certainly won't be brass.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Just talked to the guy once. I agree ...Brass? What am I driving? A steam engine?

I hope to get a better explanation tomorrow when I go in to get some things out of the car. I never thought they would have the car for damn near a month when the wrecker driver took it away.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

has anyone had to get a replacement engine in there M3? nope your the only one.

only one engine failed, not bad BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

well, imagine if you had no warranty lol
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
well, imagine if you had no warranty lol
No shit...$36k the service tech told me.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
bart400us
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E93 Silver

Wait, 36k for a new engine? What?
      08-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherM3 View Post
Thoughts or advice?
Send your SA a holiday gift for catching it in time?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Probably 24k for the engine and 12k for dealership crazy labor fees :P
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Send your SA a holiday gift for catching it in time?
Catching it in time? BMW has authorized an engine replacement. Damage already done...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
e93 jonesy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E86 Z4M, W219 CLS63s

Garage List
Hello there,

I had to get the motor replaced in mine last month. No engine failure warnings or anything of the sort to indicate to me that the motor was going bad. The car did sound a bit off like I had an aftermarket exhaust and sounded mean like an old big block chevelle when I'd give it some gas (it had that worbling rumble sound). One afternoon I backed out of my parking spot at work and what ya'know... a nice small puddle of oil where the car was parked. Quickly shut the car down and looked under the car, you could see the oil dripping just a bit. Took the car to the dealer here in town and the next day I get a phone call from the service advisor telling me that the crankshaft bearing has failed and the crankshaft is pushing oil right out the engine... next words out the guys' mouth was that BMW NA has approved a new motor for your car. Lucky for me the car was still under the original new car warranty at the time. Fast forward about a week and a bit later the car is ready for pickup. The dealer replaced the entire motor...

Damn, no warranty and this would have set me back roughly $30k... Today the new motor turned 1200 miles... got my break in oil change done... now time to have some fun.

jonesy...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Unfortunate.... but warranty on your side. Did you get to wind the odometer back to 000000?

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Catching it in time? BMW has authorized an engine replacement. Damage already done...
Well at least they had the fortitude to diagnose it correctly in the shop, and you didn’t get stranded on the side of the road again

I wish the dealer would give me a new engine, you seem upset by it,.lol
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 jonesy View Post
Hello there,

I had to get the motor replaced in mine last month. No engine failure warnings or anything of the sort to indicate to me that the motor was going bad. The car did sound a bit off like I had an aftermarket exhaust and sounded mean like an old big block chevelle when I'd give it some gas (it had that worbling rumble sound). One afternoon I backed out of my parking spot at work and what ya'know... a nice small puddle of oil where the car was parked. Quickly shut the car down and looked under the car, you could see the oil dripping just a bit. Took the car to the dealer here in town and the next day I get a phone call from the service advisor telling me that the crankshaft bearing has failed and the crankshaft is pushing oil right out the engine... next words out the guys' mouth was that BMW NA has approved a new motor for your car. Lucky for me the car was still under the original new car warranty at the time. Fast forward about a week and a bit later the car is ready for pickup. The dealer replaced the entire motor...

Damn, no warranty and this would have set me back roughly $30k... Today the new motor turned 1200 miles... got my break in oil change done... now time to have some fun.

jonesy...
No oil dripping from mine. No smoke ,no nothing to indicate an engine issue. This is why I was so surprised when the SA told me new engine. I guess that the shut down mode that my SA told me about is what kept mine from completely blowing?

I asked my SA directly about the 1200 mile break in period and was told "no..not this time". Which made me very happy. The first one was bad enough..Like holding a chocolate ice cream cone just out of the reach of a fat kid. But now I'm hearing different.

Any concerns about resale with replacement engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well at least they had the fortitude to diagnose it correctly in the shop, and you didn’t get stranded on the side of the road again

I wish the dealer would give me a new engine, you seem upset by it,.lol
But I did get stranded...When you pay as much as we have for a vehicle that is a little disconcerting. But hell, even a new Boeing 787 at base price of $215 million can have some issues.

As far as the new engine...I agree with you on that. They didn't try and hide a product failure and please don't misunderstand me. I am not ragging on BMW. They are doing right by me as far as I am concerned.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #16
BMW Fanatik
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow

I had my engine blow on my first M3 (2011.75) at 12,XXXKM...a few days prior my car got stuck in a massive puddle at the car wash and wouldn't turn over...after about 20 minutes of being on the phone with BMW Assist it decided to start and go right through the puddle. Gave her a wash and took her home. Drove fine for about 3-4 days, then I went on a pretty long road trip (300 or so KM each way not including city driving and pictures of scenery with the car), came back around my home and went to the same car wash...one the way home from there which is like 10 minutes, I was doing 120~kph and then BOOM! Cylinders 3 AND 5 shot right through the block.

Needless to say it was covered under warranty, reason being, they didn't give me my break-in service till 4,XXXKM...totally their fault, even though it probably had nothing to do with that anyhow. If I was you, which I was at one point, I would fight for a whole new engine...don't let them re-use the block. I ran my new engine for 60,000KM in 18 months (I drive a lot...) and didn't have a single problem after that. Traded her in, didn't lose a dime on the resale and picked up a 2013 simply cos it was the last E92 on sale in Canada and it is a Fire Orange.

Good luck, hope I helped in some way.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #17
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatik View Post
I had my engine blow on my first M3 (2011.75) at 12,XXXKM...a few days prior my car got stuck in a massive puddle at the car wash and wouldn't turn over...after about 20 minutes of being on the phone with BMW Assist it decided to start and go right through the puddle. Gave her a wash and took her home. Drove fine for about 3-4 days, then I went on a pretty long road trip (300 or so KM each way not including city driving and pictures of scenery with the car), came back around my home and went to the same car wash...one the way home from there which is like 10 minutes, I was doing 120~kph and then BOOM! Cylinders 3 AND 5 shot right through the block.

Needless to say it was covered under warranty, reason being, they didn't give me my break-in service till 4,XXXKM...totally their fault, even though it probably had nothing to do with that anyhow. If I was you, which I was at one point, I would fight for a whole new engine...don't let them re-use the block. I ran my new engine for 60,000KM in 18 months (I drive a lot...) and didn't have a single problem after that. Traded her in, didn't lose a dime on the resale and picked up a 2013 simply cos it was the last E92 on sale in Canada and it is a Fire Orange.

Good luck, hope I helped in some way.
Thanks for the advice...As far as what I have been told it won't be my old block that they are building the new engine around. It will be some other poor old sods blown up motor block that they have machined and deemed suitable.

Hell, you might end up with my original block someday.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #18
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Machined block = new block.

Eventually the foundry will not produce anymore new blocks. As long as suitable core blocks are available and a good machine shop is doing the work there should be no issue.

Does anyone know if they use over sized pistons? Not sure if I have ever seen this discussed, I suppose it will depend on how much of the block is machined. Maybe swap the piston rings?...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #19
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Machined block = new block.

Eventually the foundry will not produce anymore new blocks. As long as suitable core blocks are available and a good machine shop is doing the work there should be no issue.

Does anyone know if they use over sized pistons? Not sure if I have ever seen this discussed, I suppose it will depend on how much of the block is machined. Maybe swap the piston rings?...
I don't know...I was kind of hoping they would have bored it out to 4.4 L with all the matching goodies. Wishfull thinking I know...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I have a 2012 E-92 that just turned 20k miles.

I was heading out last Friday night and when I hit the entrance ramp on the local highway I goosed the ole girl a bit and she shut down on me as I hit about 75 mph. Luckily I was still in the right hand lane and easily coasted to the shoulder. No warning lights..no nothing. Sat for few minutes and she cranked right up. I was low on fuel and just wrote it off as maybe some trash got past the fuel filter. Went on about my business, got some fuel and enjoyed my evening.

On the way home I entered the entrance ramp of the same highway and sure enough, engines shuts off, trans goes to neutral and I'm coasting to the shoulder. Still no warning lights, no nothing. But this time the she won't crank back up. In fact won't even turn over. Finally I see a battery Icon on the dash. I'm thinking bad battery or alternator. Call BMW roadside assist and get the car towed to my dealership.

Go pick up a loaner Saturday, they haven't looked at her yet. Call on Monday I'm told.

Call on Monday no answer, leave voice mail.

Tuesday about lunch time I get a call from my service guy. "Mr. _____ I had to get the word from BMW corporate before I could call you back. It looks like you are going to get a new engine. We found some metal shavings in the oil and that may have been blocking oil circulation which caused the shut down while under acceleration."

Well I am shocked to say the least, after thinking a new battery and or alternator and I am back on the road. I am still a little confused as the service guy said the shavings were brass. Where would brass be in the S65? Or maybe I misunderstood? As I said I was not thinking too clearly.

Anyways, new engine is being covered by warranty and I will have her back in about 3 weeks. Free of charge.

Wondering about resale value hit, as numbers will no longer match. They did say I won't have to go through 1200mile break in again as the block on the new motor will be the only thing that is not brand new.

Thoughts or advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 jonesy View Post
Hello there,

jonesy...
Could you guys spare a few minutes and file a complaint to the National Highway Saftey Adminstration since your engine failures occured while the car was running?
It's the ONLY WAY BMW will recognize that there is a problem with this engine. We have a ton of engines with ticking sounds, but not that many that failed while drivind and that's the only real way to file a complaint as far as I know.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #21
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Could you guys spare a few minutes and file a complaint to the National Highway Saftey Adminstration since your engine failures occured while the car was running?
It's the ONLY WAY BMW will recognize that there is a problem with this engine. We have a ton of engines with ticking sounds, but not that many that failed while drivind and that's the only real way to file a complaint as far as I know.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

How did you know that their engine failed due to rod bearings? They didn't mention anything about that. Is there another way why would an engine fail?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #22
e93 jonesy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E86 Z4M, W219 CLS63s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
Unfortunate.... but warranty on your side. Did you get to wind the odometer back to 000000?
Heheheh... That's first question I asked the service advisor in a joking tone of course... Unfortunately the mileage is attached to the body/vin??? So they can't roll back the odometer...

jonesy...
Appreciate 0