BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

02-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLS

Got a speeding ticket from NYHP last week - Just pay or get an attorney?

Was on I95 last week and got pulled by a NYHP car for speeding. I honestly wasn't going particularly fast, so much so that I didn't even jam on the brakes when I saw him, but he pulled me over and threw the book at me. Speeding ticket, no front plate ticket and kept me waiting in my car for nearly 30 minutes. Not sure if he was having a bad day or what, but there was zero leniency.

Should I just pay the fine and be done with it, or get an attorney to go to court? With an NJ license, I am not sure if the points will transfer from NY or not ( I know they are supposed to, but it doesn't always happen).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellotape View Post
Was on I95 last week and got pulled by a NYHP car for speeding. I honestly wasn't going particularly fast, so much so that I didn't even jam on the brakes when I saw him, but he pulled me over and threw the book at me. Speeding ticket, no front plate ticket and kept me waiting in my car for nearly 30 minutes. Not sure if he was having a bad day or what, but there was zero leniency.

Should I just pay the fine and be done with it, or get an attorney to go to court? With an NJ license, I am not sure if the points will transfer from NY or not ( I know they are supposed to, but it doesn't always happen).

End of the month, they need to finish the book.
Jersey and NY are reciprocating concerning traffic infractions but I'm not 100% sure how Jersey classifies points from NY. If you have a clean record and weren't going massively over the limit, they'll knock it down to an equipment violation. No big deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
If you have a clean record and weren't going massively over the limit, they'll knock it down to an equipment violation. No big deal.
I have a clean license with no points. He wrote the ticket as a 72 in a 50.

Does an equipment violation carry points? (I assume not).

Do I need to go to court for this?

If so, can I get an attorney to go instead of me? I travel out of town a lot for work.

The cop also told me their is no plea bargaining in NY court. From what you are saying, that isn't correct.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
I have a clean license with no points. He wrote the ticket as a 72 in a 50.

Does an equipment violation carry points? (I assume not).

Do I need to go to court for this?

If so, can I get an attorney to go instead of me? I travel out of town a lot for work.

The cop also told me their is no plea bargaining in NY court. From what you are saying, that isn't correct.

TIA.
NYC has no plea bargaining with individuals but will plea bargain with lawyers. They have what's called the administative adjudication system . Instead of a real judge and courtroom, you'll have some jack-off lawyer posing as a judge who works for the city in his spare time. other places in NY do have regular courts and plea bargaining. I didnt realize at first you meant NYC.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
NYC has no plea bargaining with individuals but will plea bargain with lawyers. They have what's called the administative adjudication system . Instead of a real judge and courtroom, you'll have some jack-off lawyer posing as a judge who works for the city in his spare time. other places in NY do have regular courts and plea bargaining. I didnt realize at first you meant NYC.
It happened in the Bronx on I95.

Based on what you wrote, would you recommend I get an attorney? Will an attorney be able to get the charges/reduced or dropped?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Hmm hard to say.
Let's start by saying that you have essentially zero chance of getting off scotch-free. NYC and the surrounding counties are notorious for this.
Now the fact is that since you have zero points, you can just bite the bullet and pay the fine, state surcharges, and all subsequent insurance increases. Perhaps you can call some insurance companies and see how much your rate would increase given the offense? Make no mistake. They WILL find out sooner or later.
If the increase is significant (22 mph over puts you in the 21-30 over category, which is quite severe in NYS) maybe it is worth it to get a lawyer.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
If you pled guilty and pay for the ticket, you'll get ass-raped with no lube by your insurance agency. Get a lawyer and get it at least plead down to a non-moving violation if not completely dismiss the ticket. The insurance hike is NO JOKE.
      02-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
If you pled guilty and pay for the ticket, you'll get ass-raped with no lube by your insurance agency. Get a lawyer and get it at least plead down to a non-moving violation if not completely dismiss the ticket. The insurance hike is NO JOKE.
First offense is not necessarily the end of the world, insurance-wise (ask me how I know).
Get some quotes and see what they will do to you. Many companies wanted $4000-5000 since my wife got ONE 19mph over ticket over 3 years ago. Allstate didn't even want to take my business. On the other hand, Geico only increased my rate by about $50 a year, or $1700.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:

i heard someone say they overpay the ticket and when you get the check back he doesnt deposit and they dont process until deposited which never happens. anyone ever here of that
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
i heard someone say they overpay the ticket and when you get the check back he doesnt deposit and they dont process until deposited which never happens. anyone ever here of that
Yes, I think that last worked around 1977.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
First offense is not necessarily the end of the world, insurance-wise (ask me how I know).
Get some quotes and see what they will do to you. Many companies wanted $4000-5000 since my wife got ONE 19mph over ticket over 3 years ago. Allstate didn't even want to take my business. On the other hand, Geico only increased my rate by about $50 a year, or $1700.

Even though I currently have 0 points, I have had points before and I understand how points affect insurance premiums.

What I am really looking for is guidance on how the courts in NY treat tickets. It seems that getting an attorney is the way to go. Can anybody recommend one, or do they all basically get the same deals from the court?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Yes, I think that last worked around 1977.
wow really?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
mocsman
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

might be worth getting an attorney regardless... if you're caught speeding past 21 miles over the speedlimit, that's 3 points on your license... in NY, once you hit 3 points, you get fined $300 more on top of the ticket which i assume would be ~$200 already...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Sounds like he got you right near the throgs neck bridge? am i right

Anyway I would get a lawyer

Not to thread jack but anyone who is familiar I just got a speeding ticket in upstate new york. I went to court the other day and I was not fully understanding to what the counsel explained. They said I would get 2 points on my license BUT the points wouldn't be moving violation points. I never heard of that in my life can someone please shed some light on this if you have any experience? Thank you he sed it was a 10XX sumin violation ughhhhh. Another court date coming up soon.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Even though I currently have 0 points, I have had points before and I understand how points affect insurance premiums.

What I am really looking for is guidance on how the courts in NY treat tickets. It seems that getting an attorney is the way to go. Can anybody recommend one, or do they all basically get the same deals from the court?
Understood. Off to a lawyer you should go then, and good luck.
You will need a lot of that to get some leniency in NYC and nearby counties--especially NYC. NYPD is not typically interested in catching minor speeding--they seem to have reasonable leeway. If they pull someone over chances are they are over the PSL by a substantial amount.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all. Have an attorney working on it now.
Appreciate 0