BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Murderface
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Drove My Friend's '11 Mustang GT

My friend recently got a new Mustang GT with the 5.0l engine. I offered to let him test drive my M3 if I could have a go in his Mustang and he agreed. My impressions? Obviously the interior is not contest in favor of the M3. The car feels heavier and more softly sprung, though I am not sure my friend has the track package on his car (he is older and I don't think he likes the idea of super stiff suspension on a car that will never see a track). The engine was definitely not as free-revving as the V8 in the M3 but I can tell it has gumption. I only wish he had waited for the Boss 302 to come out, I'd really like to sample that engine compared to the one in the M3.

Overall, it feels a bit more like a boulevard cruiser than I would have liked but then again, I wasn't running my friend's cold engine at 10/10s. My favorite part? The fact that you can get one of these for little more than half the cost of a nicely equipped M3.

Long live affordable American V8's!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

A little more than half of a nicely equipped M3? You can get a GT for less than half the price of a M3. And you can make them fly with very little money. The motors on these are truly spectacular. I was thinking of getting a supercharger for my M but now I'm thinking of leaving it the way it is and buying one of these puppies. Automatic, intake, supercharger on a stock block and you're running mid tens.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
What did your friend think of your M3?
      08-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
EuroTrip
BMW FAN
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 AW 6MT

I don't think I would drive a mustang if it was free! POS if you ask me...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
toxsuey
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrip View Post
Just drive one. Trust me...

I gave up my BMW for one of these and couldn't be happier. A CAI + Tune completely changes the way the vehicle drives and if you can afford a supercharger/cams, you'll have a true monster
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
My friend recently got a new Mustang GT with the 5.0l engine. I offered to let him test drive my M3 if I could have a go in his Mustang and he agreed. My impressions? Obviously the interior is not contest in favor of the M3. The car feels heavier and more softly sprung, though I am not sure my friend has the track package on his car (he is older and I don't think he likes the idea of super stiff suspension on a car that will never see a track). The engine was definitely not as free-revving as the V8 in the M3 but I can tell it has gumption. I only wish he had waited for the Boss 302 to come out, I'd really like to sample that engine compared to the one in the M3.

Overall, it feels a bit more like a boulevard cruiser than I would have liked but then again, I wasn't running my friend's cold engine at 10/10s. My favorite part? The fact that you can get one of these for little more than half the cost of a nicely equipped M3.

Long live affordable American V8's!
Here's an analogy:

You can get just as drunk off Rolling Rock Beer as you can off of Einbecher Ur-Boch. Doesn't mean the experience is the same.
      08-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrip View Post
I used to think that, too. Now that I've swapped out the M3 for one, I'm pretty sure it's not a POS. It's a good driver's car out of the showroom, and with a bit of inexpensive tuning, it becomes great pretty easily. Accessories and upgrades are much more affordable.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

It's a nice enough car but I'd never take one over an M3...unless circumstances were such that I couldn't afford an M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I definitely wouldn't replace my M3 with a GT. But as a weekend warrior/drag car, it's great. Like I mentioned, instead of trying to make my M3 faster, I'll leave it w her current mods and purchase a GT for the track.
      08-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

A Boss 302 at the last track event was scorching fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Has Ford acknowledged the clutch issue yet? The 5.0 was on my short list until I started hearing of this problem. Nice car otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not sure about the clutch issue. I heard these cars, you should buy them automatic as they are quicker at the strip.
      08-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

The automatic is usually faster at the track because it is easier to launch (a skilled manual operator can run it faster).

I think the issue with these cars lies with the transmission, not the clutch. There were some reports of faulty Getrag tranny's that would have a hard time with the 1-2 shift or slip out of gear. Either way, it the cheapest way to go fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
JAJ
Captain
Rep

There was a very early clutch issue where the pressure plates worked loose from the flywheel. There was a TSB and most cars with the problem have been fixed. Newer cars don't have this problem.

The current internet firestorm is around the gearbox and difficult shifting. The problem is generally accepted to be in the shift linkage and not the gearbox itself. It's a rare complaint; my car doesn't do it. Ford has issued a TSB changing the gear oil to a thinner rating, but that doesn't fix the problem in all cases.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

I don't understand the hate towards this car (or any other car other than BMW)... I wouldn't buy one myself, because I don't like the body style, the ones I drove didn't have good feel etc... But the credit is due where it is due... It is a freaking fast car.. I wish BMW was as good as we make it sound.. but it isn't. It makes heavy cars, doesn't put proper brakes (not even ducting in a car like M3), gets bad mileage, reliability issues if you want decent mileage (hpfp)...
      08-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I don't understand the hate towards this car (or any other car other than BMW)... I wouldn't buy one myself, because I don't like the body style, the ones I drove didn't have good feel etc... But the credit is due where it is due... It is a freaking fast car.. I wish BMW was as good as we make it sound.. but it isn't. It makes heavy cars, doesn't put proper brakes (not even ducting in a car like M3), gets bad mileage, reliability issues if you want decent mileage (hpfp)...
+1
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
I wish BMW was as good as we make it sound.. but it isn't. It makes heavy cars, doesn't put proper brakes (not even ducting in a car like M3), gets bad mileage, reliability issues if you want decent mileage (hpfp)...
Actually, it is IMO.

You're mixing issues from different models or model ranges which makes no sense. If you refer to the HPFP then you cannot put "bad gas mileage" in the same sentence. HPFP doesn't have its place when talking about the M3 range - neither does "heavy cars" come to think of it since it weighs the same as the Mustang.

Personally, at any price point there will be a BMW model (new or used) that I would pick over any Ford model. It's not snobbery, I simply like the way BMW's drive more than I like the way Fords drive. For instance, I'd buy a used 135i over any new or used Mustang. A used E46 ZHP convertible over a used Mustang GT convertible, and so on.

Nothing wrong with being a Ford lover - just grow some thick skin if you hang around M3 forums all day.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #18
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Quote:
I hear ya...I'm not a "hater" of the Mustang...just would not drive one as I think the interior, styling and road feel of most all american cars is very, very very subpar.....sadly. Unlike others, I am not drinking the BMW "koolaid," however, I have owned 5 previously, including three M cars, and have never had one problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #19
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Actually, it is IMO.

You're mixing issues from different models or model ranges which makes no sense. If you refer to the HPFP then you cannot put "bad gas mileage" in the same sentence. HPFP doesn't have its place when talking about the M3 range - neither does "heavy cars" come to think of it since it weighs the same as the Mustang.

Personally, at any price point there will be a BMW model (new or used) that I would pick over any Ford model. It's not snobbery, I simply like the way BMW's drive more than I like the way Fords drive. For instance, I'd buy a used 135i over any new or used Mustang. A used E46 ZHP convertible over a used Mustang GT convertible, and so on.

Nothing wrong with being a Ford lover - just grow some thick skin if you hang around M3 forums all day.
I also would prefer a bmw over a ford, but that doesn't mean ford makes horrible cars, and bmw makes the best cars, which is what I was trying to make a point against.
      08-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #20
JAJ
Captain
Rep

In my case, I switched from the M3 because of bad judgment on the part of BMW Finance (their thought process will always be a mystery to me; they blew up a customer that bought five new BMW's between 2000 and 2008). Once BMW had convinced me to look elsewhere, I really didn't see anything that made as much sense as the Mustang. Ford's value proposition is excellent. Basically, I'm having every bit as much fun as I did in the M3; it's just costing a lot less.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

The issue with the Mustang is the MT82 Getrag tranny that is built in China. There is a TSB on the tranny for a fluid change although the jury is still out on this TSB. A lot of owners a switching out the tranny fluid to a Royal Purple mix and have gotten good results. The NTHSB is looking into reports that the MT82 can be a safety issue due to the fact quite a few complaints have come in due to the tranny not going into gear at highway speeds..there have been no injuries. Also, the vast majority of MT82 owners have no issues with their trannies.

I too also looked into buying a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L. I like the styling, although I admit the retro thing is kind of wearing thin on me, the performance was right up there with the M3, but it was the interior that did it in for me. Although great strides were done in 2010 it is still several notches below the BMW let alone an Audi, although a few magazines said the new interior was almost "Audi" like...hardly.

All in all a great car and a great value..would not be embarrased at all driving one of these bad boys...

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #22
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

I own a '11 GT 5.0 as well, and agree with the original poster that the car is too softly sprung from the factory. Both the Ford and BMW dealerships allowed me to keep an M3 DCT and a GT 5.0 overnight so I have done a significant amount of back-and-forth testing between the two vehicles.

When I decided to buy the Mustang I did a significant amount of research on suspension upgrades for the Mustang to make it more M3-like. I ended up spending about $1400 on Koni sport shocks/struts and Steeda Sport springs. These were professionally installed for about $400 (including alignment).

The difference is night and day - the car is *much* more planted and feels very much like an M3: firm but not harsh. Just as important, the car sits much lower and eliminates the hideous wheel gap that plagues Mustangs. This is the way the car should have come straight from the factory.

So ultimately, this is my advice: if you're gonna get the GT, you owe it to yourself to upgrade that suspension as well.

Why didn't I buy the M3? A lot of it had to do with the fact that I was sick of dealing with BMW service (I had an '07 335i), found the M3 was not the scalpel I was hoping it would be. To me, anything over $65k is Porsche money and I felt more comfortable with a Mustang at $38k than a BMW at $68k.

But I do agree with Dave, it's not as good-looking nor is the interior as nice as the BMW. Gas mileage, while better than the M3 I drove, is not as good as I hoped. With the 3.73 gears I'm seeing 18-19 mixed....and I think I drive like a grandmother.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0